Nature Cure by Richard Mabey

Nature Cure (edition 2005)

by Richard Mabey

Member:AnthonyTFS
Title:Nature Cure
Authors:Richard Mabey
Info:Chatto & Windus (2005), Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Nature Cure by Richard Mabey

Rather too tedious and introspective for my taste.

As usual with Mabey, the insight into natural history was sharp and informative, but I found that there was too much wallowing and self-introspection, and kept wanting to give him a damn good shake! ( )
  Eyejaybee | Mar 16, 2014 |
Sadly not for me. Love Richard Mabey and his philosophy but could not get on with the airy-fairy content, and particularly with Richard's take on depression. Got a little way through and had to give up - lif is too short to read stuff that does not hit the spot and there are so many books still on the shelf waiting for me! ( )
  eas | May 12, 2012 |
I'm not the ideal candidate for nature writing as I don't have the same kind of emotional response to animals that writers like Mabey elicit, but I loved this book. His description of recovery from depression - and the fear of reverting - was painful and moving and, while I could not always identify with the joy of watching flocks of migrating birds, his descriptions of the East Anglian landscapes are stunning. For me, Mabey is such a beautiful writer that he is a pleasure to read on all topics. ( )
  Schopflin | Jul 6, 2011 |
Fascinating love of nature and its wilderness and mystery; a bit too much self-indulgence in my view. ( )
  jon1lambert | Apr 29, 2011 |
Deals with the author's life for a year or two after he moved to Norfolk from the Chilterns after a breakdown and recovery. It is a mixture of autobiographical (both year writing about and in the past) and about nature. He turns out to be a near neighbour of Mark Cocker (Crow Country) - I preferred Mabey's writing to Croker's as a bit more on the human background as well. Mabey draws parallels between man/nature/ecosystems. He's occasionally a bit too keen to quote and talk about John Clare for my liking, but overall a book I'm glad to have read. ( )
  fancett | Nov 8, 2008 |

Early in Nature Cure Richard Mabey returns continually to the swift, who in its spectacular migration may not touch down for well over a year. In Ted Hughes’s phrase, the reappearance of the swifts tells us that "the globe’s still working." When we encounter the author in the opening pages of this powerful memoir, his corner of the globe is decidedly not working. A deep depression has left him alienated from his work and his family, financially insecure, and has cost him the Chiltern home in which he has lived his entire life. The open flatlands of his new home in East Anglia--an area now dominated by agriculture, and once so desolate that it harbored an inland lighthouse--could not be more different from the dense Chiltern woods he is leaving behind. Mabey wonders frankly if this move is a crucial part of his becoming, finally, a true adult, or if it is just the latest step in the wrong direction his life has mysteriously taken.

Mabey fears that he, like the swift, may be too specialized--given to an intensely specific way of life which, when threatened, leaves him with nowhere to turn. A life spent observing nature has taught him that any creature, even an entire species, might be made suddenly obsolete by the shifts of the world. Just how adaptable is he? He leaves the Chilterns with a near-complete set of the works of John Clare and an antique microscope, but without a frying pan. From now on he will have to think about a complete life, not just those bases he touched as a writer following his calling.

It is through this escape to another life, this "flitting," that his healing begins, in often unexpected ways. Mabey’s despair stems from an inability to connect with his writing and with the nature that inspires it; the book’s power lies in the way he relates this distance from nature to a larger problem in modern life--and in the remarkable process by which his reengagement with nature leads Mabey out of his depression and back to passion and wonder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:35 -0400)

"In the last year of the old millennium, Richard Mabey, Britain's foremost nature writer, fell into a severe depression. For two years, he did little more than lie in bed with his face to a wall. He could neither work nor play. His money ran out. Worst of all, the natural world - which since childhood had been a source of joy and inspiration for him - became meaningless." "Then, cared for by friends, he gradually recovered. He fell in love. Out of necessity as much as choice he moved to East Anglia. And he started to write again." "This remarkable book is an account of that first year of a new life. It is the story of a rite of passage - from sickness into health, from retreat into curiosity. It is about the adventure of learning to fit again."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,027,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible