Seinlanguage by Jerry Seinfeld

Seinlanguage (original 1993; edition 1997)

by Jerry Seinfeld (Author)

Member:mfagan
Title:Seinlanguage
Authors:Jerry Seinfeld (Author)
Info:Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group (1997)
Collections:Read but unowned

SeinLanguage by Jerry Seinfeld (1993)

English (14)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (16)

3.5 stars

I love Jerry Seinfeld's comedy, and of course I loved 'Seinfeld' the show. I know there are some people out there who have no chemistry with the show's humor, but I'm one of those it fits perfectly. I went into this book wondering if it was a musing on life or a mini bio, but found it was none of this. It's 'SeinLanguage' - pieces of Seinfeld's comedy, written on page rather than acted on stage.

The humor is good, it works, he writes well - but it'd be better to sit and watch him perform. It's identical in format to his stand-up comedy pieces. These are funnier to see him state and pause and motion his hands and face expressions rather than read. Humor in text can be hard stuff to get across.

Divided into: Freeway of Love (funny stuff on relationships); Personal Maintenance (as he points out, women aren't afraid to pour hot wax on our legs and rip our hair out but we freak over spiders); Paldom; Shut up and drive; Job Security; The thing is the thing; Out and back; The Ride of your life.

I'm happy to say he mentions Superman in a short skit. He's a big Superman fan and I always like watching the show and seeing the little tributes and homages he pays to the hero. Despite rumor, I've checked and it's not true there's a rule that a small tribute is in every episode, but it's in a large majority. That's yet another cool thing about Jerry Seinfeld. Here's an indepth article about the Supe references in the show

Overall it's a cute book. There's some humor in here that works better on stage but is okay written down. It's a lot of his comedy delivered in book form for leisurely pursual. Seinfeld fans should enjoy it well enough. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Really not very funny at all. ( )
  xMMynsOtcgan5Gd47 | Sep 15, 2015 |
I found this on the "free books" rack at the library. I read it in a few hours and laughed hysterically half the time. The jokes were hit or miss, as always, and I think that the parts that didn't have me cracking up probably WOULD have it I heard Seinfeld saying it himself (timing is everything, as he says). I love his show, like his stand-up, and the book was great too.

Some of my favorite parts were talking about the airlines (the overpriced tuna, the golf-carts, and the moving sidewalks) and most of the ones under "maintanance." ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
How time flies...This book was published in 1993, and a lot of the references, to answering machines, to household goods, etc. are just so obsolete that at adds unintentional humour to the book. Still, Jerry Seinfeld is best live, not on paper, so it is unlikely anyone will read this and laugh out loud, although as stand-up scripts these chapters are of course funny. Seinfeld is one of the funniest comedians around, rarely unkind, but with an eye for everything intentionally and unintentionally funny around us - just like the TV series. Without Seinfeld's voice in my head as I read it would have been bland, though. ( )
  petterw | Jun 1, 2013 |
Short reflections on life's vague or contradictory elements. Seinfeld wrote this 20 years ago but it still reads well over time. The dated jokes are still meaningful, if you remember the things he refers to. I enjoyed the book eventhough I wasn't expecting too much from such a short work. I haven't memorized all the Seinfeld TV episodes so this was fresh to read in literary form. Seinfeld says that books are one of the few things to show that people still do something called thinking. Not all books manifest that but at least they used to (for those not ghost written). ( )
  sacredheart25 | Feb 27, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553096060, Hardcover)

Seinlanguage could easily be subtitled The World According to Jerry. First published in 1993, when Seinfeld the sitcom was establishing itself as the funniest half-hour on television, this is a collection of Jerry's musings on everything from relationships to shushing in movie theatres. Observational comedy may have reached epidemic proportions recently, but Jerry Seinfeld was, and is, the master of his domain.

"I will never understand why they cook on TV. I can't smell it. Can't eat it. Can't taste it. The end of the show they hold it up to the camera, 'Well, here it is. You can't have any. Thanks for watching. Goodbye.'"

Eons hence, scholars may ponder the mysteries of this book in the same way that they now ponder the fragments of Heraclitus. Until then, Seinlanguage will continue to provide guaranteed chuckles in a neat and tidy package. Kind of like Jerry himself. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:56 -0400)

Bantam Books proudly presents the first book by one of today's most popular comic performers, featuring hilarious Seinfeld observations on everything from Relationships to Raisinets. Publication will coincide with the debut of the new season of Seinfeld, his top-ten NBC television series.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,600,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible