The Zygote Chronicles by Suzanne Finnamore

The Zygote Chronicles (edition 2002)

by Suzanne Finnamore

Member:lmdmcd
Title:The Zygote Chronicles
Authors:Suzanne Finnamore
Info:Grove Press (2002), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 128 pages

The Zygote Chronicles: A Novel by Suzanne Finnamore

The end is a little terrifying - so maybe be cautious about getting this as a gift for pregnant women. But she is a lovely author. The title of this book made me pull it off the library shelf, and I'm glad I did. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802139817, Paperback)

"This is the time of real butter," writes Suzanne Finnamore in The Zygote Chronicles, her fictional journal of pregnancy. In fresh, fed-up language, Finnamore (Otherwise Engaged) captures the universal truths of pregnancy that can seem almost insultingly personal when they happen to you. Finnamore sings the joys of whole cream dairy products, but the blues make themselves heard as well. The narrator, an advertising executive, frets about her credibility at work. "I'm a little worried that I won't have any authority left when I get big and have Pamela Anderson breasts. I may have to compensate in some way. I may have to start carrying a hammer." Women have always been funny about pregnancy, and Finnamore gets all that black humor down on paper. It should be noted, however, that the narrator's grousing can wear a bit thin, given her station in life (she laments giving up her Miata for an SUV). Even so, The Zygote Chronicles should take its place alongside Anne Lamott's Operating Instructions as essential reading for the intelligent breeder. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

"When she finds out she's pregnant with her first child, the narrator of The Zygote Chronicles is closer to forty years old than to twenty-two (the latter, she is informed by a homicidal-rampage-inducing pregnancy guide, being the ideal age to have a baby). What unfolds from her very first wry yet heartfelt memo to her unborn child is like a series of X rays into a pregnant woman's soul, mind, and appetites. Suddenly she is attuned to everything around and inside her and she doles out observations and words of wisdom to her unborn baby accordingly: how a pregnant woman's body becomes public property; the way everyone on the street fancies themselves part of the jury when it comes to choosing a name. She captures the many sensory changes her body goes through with uncanny precision and crackling wit, and ponders why her once storybook marriage to the man she waited for all her life suddenly undergoes an alchemical transformation every time he eats garlic or onions."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible