Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene

Our Man in Havana (original 1958; edition 1997)

by Graham Greene

3,123None1,799 (3.86)187
Member:LizzySiddal
Title:Our Man in Havana
Authors:Graham Greene
Info:Folio Society, Hardback
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:thriller, English, Folio Society, fiction, British

Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene (1958)

1950s (14) 20th century (56) British (58) British fiction (15) British literature (32) classic (26) classics (14) Cold War (37) Cuba (152) England (22) English (27) English fiction (15) English literature (50) espionage (133) fiction (523) Graham Greene (19) Greene (18) Havana (31) humor (72) literature (56) mystery (22) novel (98) read (33) Roman (25) satire (45) spy (63) thriller (26) to-read (33) UK (19) unread (20)
    The Tailor of Panama by John le Carré (chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Le Carré's 1996 novel was inspired by Greene's "Our Man in Havana".
    Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov (alalba)
    alalba: In both books the main character makes up stories as a way of keeping his job, in both cases, they become reality.
    The Fat Plan by Glen Neath (sanddancer)
    My Life In CIA: A Chronicle of 1973 by Harry Mathews (slickdpdx)
    The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad (LamontCranston)

English (55)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (64)
Jim Wormold is an ordinary guy, struggling to make enough money to provide all the things his teen-aged daughter wants. As a Brit living in Havana, he gets recruited by secret service and can't pass up the salary. But, he doesn't know how to be a spy, so he makes up his reports and his agents. Then, things begin getting out of control....

Very funny, with very human characters. ( )
  LynnB | Mar 13, 2014 |
Great times. I like my comedy deadened with a bit of despair about the world, and here it is. Why he calls this an 'entertainment' is beyond me; it seems to have almost as much reflection about morality and politics and religion as any of his 'serious' novels. Highly recommended. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
I have never been disappointed by anything Graham Greene has written. This book has everything. Adventure...espionage and humor. ( )
  bibliophile_pgh | Dec 14, 2013 |
Very funny and well written. A vacuum cleaner salesman in Havana (pre revolution) is recruited by the British Secret Service to be a spy and recruit his own sub network of spies - for which he can claim expenses and income. Not set up to really be a spy, he takes advice from a friend and just makes it all up. Sometimes with little scraps of truth but more often just entirely ficticious. It all seems to be ok until his bosses back in London, and their enemies in Moscow, Washington, etc, all start believing him. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Equal parts funny and tragic, a vacuum salesman gets drafted into MI-6 in Cuba. Pre-Castro Cuba. ( )
  charlie68 | Aug 21, 2013 |
10 of the Greatest Cold War Spy Novels
“Possibly the greatest writer of prose to devote so much of his time to the theme of espionage, Greene was himself briefly an intelligence agent. His WW 2 experiences in London, dealing with a disinformation-dealing agent in Portugal, provided the impetus for this satirical and prescient look at the spy game. Wormhold, a British vacuum salesman in Havana during the Batista regime, becomes a spy for the MI6 to better provide for his daughter (he’s a single parent). The reports Wormhold concocts involve imaginary agents, whose salaries he collects. But his lively reports begin to greatly interest London, who send in reinforcements, initiating a deadly black comedy of errors, making the hapless agent a Soviet target. In an instance of perfect casting, Alec Guinness portrayed Wormhold in the 1959 film version.”

Toward the end, as we go into a business luncheon at which Wormold is due to die, things begin to warm, and it seems we will get what we came for. But when, for a climax, a dog wanders into the dining room, laps the whisky Wormold spilled, dies, and thus gives warning of poison, things simply fall apart. I never saw a dog drink hard liquor, and don't believe this one did. However, I do believe he could read, and had had a look at the script, to know what he should do. All in all, little as a Greene fan likes to say it, this book misses, and in a thoroughly heartbreaking way, for it misses needlessly where it might have rung the bell.
added by John_Vaughan | editNY Times, James M. Cain (Jul 12, 2011)

For once, Greene's Roman Catholic hang-ups, which make novels such as The End of the Affair so desolate, are kept in check - even joked about. "Hail Mary, quite contrary", prays convent-educated Milly, aged four. Nine years later she sets fire to a small American boy called Thomas Earl Parkman Junior because he's a Protestant - "and if there was going to be a persecution, Catholics could always beat Protestants at that game."

Greene, Grahamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundblad, JaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oddera, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schaap, H.W.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turtiainen, ArvoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallverdú, JosepTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winiewicz, LidaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the sad man is cock of all his jests
GEORGE HERBERT
'That nigger going down the street,' said Dr Hasselbacher standing in the Wonder Bar, 'he reminds me of you, Mr Wormold.'
The separating years approached them both, like a station down the line, all gain for her and all loss for him.
You should dream more, Mr. Wormold. Reality in our century is not something to be faced.
He was aware whenever he entered the shop of a vacuum that had nothing to do with his cleaners.
In a mad world it always seemed simpler to obey.
As long as nothing happens, anything is possible, you agree? It is a pity that a lottery is ever drawn. I lose a hundred and forty thousand dollars a week, and I am a poor man.

Graham Greene?s classic Cuban spy story, now with a new package and a new introduction

First published in 1959, Our Man in Havana is an espionage thriller, a penetrating character study, and a political satire that still resonates today. Conceived as one of Graham Greene?s ?entertainments,? it tells of MI6?s man in Havana, Wormold, a former vacuum-cleaner salesman turned reluctant secret agent out of economic necessity. To keep his job, he files bogus reports based on Lamb?s Tales from Shakespeare and dreams up military installations from vacuum-cleaner designs. Then his stories start coming disturbingly true.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:19 -0400)

Follows the plight of Wormold, a former vacuum cleaner salesman, who becomes a slave to the expensive whims of his thirteen-year-old daughter, Milly, and takes on a job for MI6 as Secret Agent 5920015 to pay for them.

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,480,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible