PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from…

PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives

by Frank Warren

Series: PostSecrets

Some of these postcards are just disturbing. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
Frank Warren invited people to send him secrets anonymously on postcards as part of a community art project. Some are fantastically artistic. Some are insightful. Some are heartbreaking. Some are deep. Some are dark. Some are very dark. All are fascinating... ( )
  michellebarton | Nov 5, 2013 |
I really enjoy this art project and check the blog every week. If you don't know about this movement, please check it out.

[http://www.postsecret.com]
  Caitdub | Oct 24, 2013 |
As much as I devoutly check the PostSecret website every Sunday morning (for the last 4 years, at least), I just don't care for the books as much.

Some of the secrets are beautiful, powerful, ridiculous, brave and some are obviously very fake and some are so real and close-to-home that it can be painful to stumble upon.

That being said, I wouldn't ever really urge anyone to go buy a copy. Spend the 20 bucks and just make a donation to the Suicide Prevention group promoted by PostSecret or to the website itself. I think the idea is brilliant, the execution (online) is wonderful and I would love to go to a gathering sometime but I just wasn't enthralled by the book.

Maybe I'm just bitter because no one had hidden a folded up paper secret in mine. *scowl*

;) ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
Some of the secrets are a little bit hard to take. Reading this book is quick, but it is like being exposed to walking through a bad neighborhood. Although you are completely safe, the reader is being exposed to the awful underbelly of humanity. Not all the secrets are awful. Some are sad. Some give you the impression that the person really needs therapy. Together they create a picture of the awful underbelly. I don't want to read the second novel. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |

The project that captured a nation's imagination.

The instructions were simple, but the results were extraordinary.

"You are invited to anonymously contribute a secret to a group art project. Your secret can be a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything -- as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before. Be brief. Be legible. Be creative."

It all began with an idea Frank Warren had for a community art project. He began handing out postcards to strangers and leaving them in public places -- asking people to write down a secret they had never told anyone and mail it to him, anonymously.

The response was overwhelming. The secrets were both provocative and profound, and the cards themselves were works of art -- carefully and creatively constructed by hand. Addictively compelling, the cards reveal our deepest fears, desires, regrets, and obsessions. Frank calls them "graphic haiku," beautiful, elegant, and small in structure but powerfully emotional.

As Frank began posting the cards on his website, PostSecret took on a life of its own, becoming much more than a simple art project. It has grown into a global phenomenon, exposing our individual aspirations, fantasies, and frailties -- our common humanity.

Every day dozens of postcards still make their way to Frank, with postmarks from around the world, touching on every aspect of human experience. This extraordinary collection brings together the most powerful, personal, and beautifully intimate secrets Frank Warren has received -- and brilliantly illuminates that human emotions can be unique and universal at the same time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:48 -0400)

Frank Warren had an idea for a community art project: he began handing out postcards to strangers and leaving them in public places--asking people to write down a secret they had never told anyone and mail it to him, anonymously. The response was overwhelming. The secrets were both provocative and profound, and the cards themselves were works of art--carefully and creatively constructed by hand. Addictively compelling, the cards reveal our deepest fears, desires, regrets, and obsessions. Frank calls them "graphic haiku," beautiful, elegant, and small in structure but powerfully emotional. As Frank began posting the cards on his website, PostSecret took on a life of its own, becoming much more than a simple art project. It has grown into a global phenomenon, exposing our individual aspirations, fantasies, and frailties--our common humanity. This collection brings together the most powerful, personal, and intimate secrets he has received.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible