PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from…

PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives (edition 2005)

by Frank Warren

Series: PostSecrets

Member:jeidai
Title:PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives
Authors:Frank Warren
Info:William Morrow (2005), Hardcover, 278 pages
Collections:Art, Your library

PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives by Frank Warren

No one wants to drown in her sorrows or enjoy others' torments, but there is a wonderous, small lifting of loneliness when we discover that perfect strangers share our deceptively unique fears and hidden truths. POST SECRET stings you with the little messages scattered throughout its pages of anonymous postcards sent to Frank Warren, the man who put together this book.

I'm obviously not referring to the postcard from a man stating he survived 9/11 and never told his family or friends. Nor am I thinking of the Starbucks employee who gives decaf coffee to the customers who tick him off.

The postcards that resonate with many readers are the heart-breaking pleas, rants against the self or the endearingly honest confessions of childhood memories they cannot let go of easily.

The simplest ones, accompanied with beautifully constructed drawings or collages, hit home the hardest. One POST SECRET contributor, for instance, sent in a picture of her dog, along with the words, "I'm afraid no one will ever love me as much as my dog does."

POST SECRET reminds us that sometimes we can see ourselves in strangers more than we can in our friends or families. It's a scary thought, but it's also a strangely comforting one. ( )
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
Post Secret is art, but at its heart it is healing.

Somewhere within the secrets you're forced to face yourself, you're forced to realize different aspects of your own life and psyche and come to terms with them. That's what Post Secret is about, to me, acknowledgment.

I just wish I had the courage to send in my own. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Secrets are fun to read about. There is something cathartic about not only reading someone else's secret, but connecting with that secret. Maybe you'll read one of your secrets. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
The project that captured a nation’s imagination.

The instructions were simple, but the results were extraordinary.

You are invited to anonymously contribute a secret to a group art project.

Your secret can be a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything — as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before. Be brief. Be legible. Be creative.
It all began with an idea Frank Warren had for a community art project. He began handing out postcards to strangers and leaving them in public places — asking people to write down a secret they had never told anyone and mail it to him, anonymously.

The response was overwhelming. The secrets were both provocative and profound, and the cards themselves were works of art — carefully and creatively constructed by hand. Addictively compelling, the cards reveal our deepest fears, desires, regrets, and obsessions. Frank calls them “graphic haiku,” beautiful, elegant, and small in structure but powerfully emotional.

As Frank began posting the cards on his website, PostSecret took on a life of its own, becoming much more than a simple art project. It has grown into a global phenomenon, exposing our individual aspirations, fantasies, and frailties — our common humanity.

Every day dozens of postcards still make their way to Frank, with postmarks from around the world, touching on every aspect of human experience. This extraordinary collection brings together the most powerful, personal, and beautifully intimate secrets Frank Warren has received — and brilliantly illuminates that human emotions can be unique and universal at the same time.

MY BOOK REVIEW:

I must confess, that I picked up this book solely on its cover. I had no idea what I was getting into until I sat down and started to read.
The experience is both intense and at times, horrifying. I did laugh at some of the entries and thought OMG at others. The whole concept of this book is brilliant and unique, imaginative and very eye-opening. The idea that so many different people from around the world sent anonymous postcards revealing their deepest and sometimes darkest secrets is amazing and unbelievable.

When reading the postcards, you begin to realize that we live in a complicated and vast world filled with so much regret and pain, that you wonder the current priorities of our race. Somewhere along the way, society got lost in discovering the value of life. This book’s postcards show a lot of pain in many, some were silly and fun but the reality of others hits hard to home.

The book format is hardcover, with an extraordinary book jacket. It’s stamped and addressed like a post card. There’s 276 pages of art, humor and an interesting insight into so many lives. Warren is still receiving more postcards, and I imagine he always will. There’s a sequel to this book, I believe, filled with an equal number of postcard secrets.

This is an excellent coffee table book that would provide a lot of discussion. It’s full of reality and quality. I highly recommend it. ( )
1 vote JLSlipak | Oct 18, 2017 |
A very interesting book. Beautiful pictures of received postcards, that tell volumes of joy, but mostly sorrow or pain. Secrets seem to hurt a lot or cause much stress to those who keep them. At least that's what I read from the pictures. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 15, 2017 |

Frank Warrenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fisher, Anne C.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ljoenes, RichardDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to every person who faced their secret on a postcard, released it into a mailbox, and bravely shared it with me, the world, and themselves.
--Frank
Foreword: I met Frank Warren after seeing PostSecret at Artomatic - a Washington, D.C., arts festival.
I have so many secrets...I don't know which one to send in.

The project that captured a nation's imagination.

The instructions were simple, but the results were extraordinary.

"You are invited to anonymously contribute a secret to a group art project. Your secret can be a regret, fear, betrayal, desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. Reveal anything -- as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before. Be brief. Be legible. Be creative."

It all began with an idea Frank Warren had for a community art project. He began handing out postcards to strangers and leaving them in public places -- asking people to write down a secret they had never told anyone and mail it to him, anonymously.

The response was overwhelming. The secrets were both provocative and profound, and the cards themselves were works of art -- carefully and creatively constructed by hand. Addictively compelling, the cards reveal our deepest fears, desires, regrets, and obsessions. Frank calls them "graphic haiku," beautiful, elegant, and small in structure but powerfully emotional.

As Frank began posting the cards on his website, PostSecret took on a life of its own, becoming much more than a simple art project. It has grown into a global phenomenon, exposing our individual aspirations, fantasies, and frailties -- our common humanity.

Every day dozens of postcards still make their way to Frank, with postmarks from around the world, touching on every aspect of human experience. This extraordinary collection brings together the most powerful, personal, and beautifully intimate secrets Frank Warren has received -- and brilliantly illuminates that human emotions can be unique and universal at the same time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

Frank Warren had an idea for a community art project: he began handing out postcards to strangers and leaving them in public places--asking people to write down a secret they had never told anyone and mail it to him, anonymously. The response was overwhelming. The secrets were both provocative and profound, and the cards themselves were works of art--carefully and creatively constructed by hand. Addictively compelling, the cards reveal our deepest fears, desires, regrets, and obsessions. Frank calls them "graphic haiku," beautiful, elegant, and small in structure but powerfully emotional. As Frank began posting the cards on his website, PostSecret took on a life of its own, becoming much more than a simple art project. It has grown into a global phenomenon, exposing our individual aspirations, fantasies, and frailties--our common humanity. This collection brings together the most powerful, personal, and intimate secrets he has received.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,358,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible