A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next…

A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation) (edition 1990)

by Peter David (Author)

Member:alpacaherder
Title:A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Authors:Peter David (Author)
Info:Star Trek (1990), Edition: First Edition

A Rock and a Hard Place by Peter David

It’s a good book, it really is, and yet, Stone, one of the non-regular main characters in the book is just such a bastard -- to everyone. And, I do get why the character has to be what the character is, but, it makes the book so hard to read because Stone is being such a n abhorrent jerk to characters that I really like.

The plot has two parts. Riker gets temporarily reassigned to lead a team of scientists to check on a plant that’s being terraformed called Paradise. A guy from Riker’s past/youth is in charge of it. They grew up together in Alaska.

In Riker’s absence the Enterprise gets a temporary first officer named Stone. He’s the bastard. Okay, during the novel his onion like layers are somewhat pulled back, but he’s not a character that many people will like.

Then there were the wild things. They were a disturbingly interesting part of the story for sure and I thought that that part of the story with the Wild Things the author did really really well.

I will always and continue to try and catch up with all the Peter David books, but, this one, while well done, is not my favorite. On the other hand, I can see some of his later books in this earlier one, why he created some of the later characters he created. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 15, 2018 |
This has to be one of the darkest Star Trek books I have read thus far. Peter David is brilliant at creating edge of your seat suspense that doesn't end until the very last page with just enough comic relief to ease the tension. For the story alone with Riker I would give this four stars, however, Quintin Stone notches it up to five stars. One of the best character development that will haunt me for a long time. ( )
1 vote Kate_T | Apr 22, 2011 |
"Stone.  In my quarters."

Under the best circumstances, terraforming is a tough, dangerous task that pits the hardiest of pioneers against an unforgiving environment. When the terraformers on the planet Paradise fall behind schedule, commander Riker is given temporary leave from the U.S.S. Enterprise™ and sent to assist.

Riker's replacement on the Starship Enterprise is a volatile officer named Stone whose behavior soon raises questions about his ability and his judgment. Meanwhile, Commander Riker has become enmeshed in a life and struggle with Paradise's brutal landscape. However, he soon learns that not all of the planet's dangers are natural in origin -- as he comes face to face with Paradise's greatest danger and most hideous secret.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,780,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible