The sky that wraps the world round, past the…

The sky that wraps the world round, past the blue and into the black… (edition 2008)

by Jay Lake

641,268,033 (3.25)None
Member:AlanPoulter
Title:The sky that wraps the world round, past the blue and into the black [short fiction]
Authors:Jay Lake
Info:Web-published in: Clarkesworld, March 2008
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, short fiction, alien contact, free fiction

The Sky That Wraps The World Round Past The Blue And Into The Black by Jay Lake

The colour blue is important in this inscrutable story. The narrator is being kept under house arrest by a Chinese gangster, and forced to use a poisonous blue compound to paint special mineral fragments, shaped like caltrops. These resemble the only known alien relic, blue mineral fragments discovered scattered around a solar system, in which the narrator played a role. ( )
  AlanPoulter | Jan 21, 2010 |
An astronaut paints bits of alien junk in radioactive blue paint for sales by a crime lord. ( )
  sdobie | Jan 27, 2009 |
I believe that all things eventually come to rest.
I believe that all things eventually come to rest. Even light, though that’s not what they tell you in school. How do scientists know? A billion billion years from now, even General Relativity might have been demoted to a mere Captain. Photons will sit around in little clusters of massless charge, bumping against one another like boats in the harbor at Kowloon.
The universe will be blue then, everything from one cosmic event horizon to the other the color of a summer sky.
This is what I tell myself as I paint the tiny shards spread before me. Huang’s men bring them to me to work with. We are creating value, that gangster and me. I make him even more immensely wealthy. Every morning that I wake up still alive is his gratuity to me in return.
It is a fair trade.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,974,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible