dismiss

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

Rendezvous with Rama (original 1973; edition 1990)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Series: Rama Universe (1)

8,121140703 (3.95)2 / 274
For use in schools and libraries only. During the twenty-second century, a space probe's investigation of a mysterious, cylindrical asteroid brings man into contact with an extra-galactic civilization.
Member:mfagan
Title:Rendezvous with Rama
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (1973)

Ringworld by Larry Niven (codeeater)
    codeeater: Another story about a mysterious alien artefact.
    2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke (artturnerjr)
    Eon by Greg Bear (santhony)
    santhony: The original, and still the best, of those science fiction tales centered upon huge, inter-stellar habitats.
    Reach for Tomorrow by Arthur C. Clarke (6impossible)
    The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven (BGP)
    Gateway by Frederik Pohl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Humans find alien spaceships.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: First contact
    The Engines of God by Jack McDevitt (codeeater)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Chindi by Jack McDevitt (bertilak)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Death_By_Papercut)
    Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)

English (131)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (139)
I wouldn't call this exactly a story with a conflict. It's much closer to a travelogue of a group of people's explorations through the interior of Science Fiction's greatest Big Dumb Object. ( )
  Count_Zero | Jul 7, 2020 |
I like science-fiction, especially big meaty series to dig my knife and fork into. So, four years ago when I saw the four Rama books in my local second hand bookshop I made like a crocodile and snapped them up. I read this book fairly hastily that year, in a science-fiction filled Summer betwixt my under- and postgraduate degrees. Having torn through this one I dived into [b:Rama II|112520|Rama II (Rama, #2)|Arthur C. Clarke|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171659411s/112520.jpg|1907786], and while I don't remember the sequel too well, it must've been pretty bad since I gave up on the series and read Shaun Hutson's [b:SLUGS|3836481|SLUGS|Shaun Hutson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1248256416s/3836481.jpg|907812] instead. Boy, that was a bad week for reading in the Lee household.

Anyway, the quadrilogy has been sat on my shelves since then, coyly batting its eyelashes at me. So I finally gave in and decided to read the series, no matter how bad things get.

This first book in the series is one of Clarke's more famous works, the cover of my edition rather awkwardly claiming it's "His first masterpiece since 2001." As a stand alone tale it's a nice little story. It raises far, far more questions than it deigns to answer, but with the suggestion that two more books will follow. Maybe if this was part one of a fantastic Arthur C. Clarke trilogy then I could like this book more. But really it's the prologue to a Gentry Lee trilogy. After having the unpleasant experience of reading [b:Cradle|1437420|Cradle|Arthur C. Clarke|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1238843530s/1437420.jpg|143866], another Gentry Lee story with Clarke's name sellotaped to it, it may be best to think of this book as a nice little one-off. And nice it is too.

Right, let's get on to part two. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

Right, let's get on to part two. ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
mmmmm Rama. I think this was the first sci-fi book I've ever read (and I've probably still only read a dozen or so). Rama is a great mystery of a novel. Arthur C. Clarke sets up a futuristic world born out of terrible global tragedies, and uses this political set-up to explore an alien ship that approaches the Earth at a breakneck pace.

I won't spoil anything here, but suffice it to say that nothing is as expected, and - while the book is marvellous as a kind of literary meditation on cultural differences, and timeless qualities of humanity - it most definitely leaves you wanting more. Surprisingly, Clarke hadn't really envisioned a sequel when he wrote it. Unsurprisingly, three would come to pass. Each of these would be a lesser novel than the one that came before, but they comprise a definite trilogy so I'd recommend either stopping after this book, or reading the whole series. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
Unable to get proper jacket - polka dot cover
  NeverEsfacas | Apr 22, 2020 |

Clarke, Arthur C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
กลุ่มอ…Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castellano, Peter M.Back cover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Merlo, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swendsen, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volný, ZdeňekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zebrowski, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sri Lanka, where I climbed the stairway of the Gods.
Sooner or later, it was bound to happen.

An unknown space probe
flies through Earth's solar system;
What is inside it?
(sullijo)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,853,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible