No title (1973)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (1973)

English (96)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (101)
Until two months ago, I had read only one Arthur C Clarke novel, 2001: A Space Odyssey, as a school boy some 35 years ago. I have now read The City and Stars, which was excellent; and now this novel, which won all sorts of awards back in the 1970s, which was almost as good. A mysterious object enters the solar system like a comet on a long approach, but it turns out to be artificial. A mission lands on it and explores the mysteries of this giant hollow cylinder. Clarke's imagination and extrapolation of scientific principles are breathtaking and this is a great read. I might say I was slightly frustrated by the lack of explanations at the end, but in an SF novel this powerful, that doesn't really matter. I am aware that there are several sequels to this, but that they are generally poorly regarded. ( )
  john257hopper | Jul 14, 2016 |
I know Clarke is one of the best sci-fi writers and this book has won many awards, but it was just so boring. The whole book was exploring Rama and theorizing about what it was with very little action. ( )
1 vote bookwyrmm | Jul 2, 2016 |
This is the first book that I've read by Arthur C. Clarke and I found it very interesting and, happily, not overly technical. I was a bit concerned that it would be difficult to read due to the scientific theories and jargon but it wasn't.

Other than the award categories, this book fits best in the Hard SF category. Although the story is about Earth's first contact with a strange item in space, there is no "first contact" with the other species (unless you count biots) nor would it count as being set on a permanent man-made habitat in space since you don't find out WHO made it.

The book sets you up for the additional books in the Rama series, due to its somewhat anti-climatic end. ( )
  bhabeck | Mar 6, 2016 |
His space opera after 2001, does a remarkable job of describing the indescribable--a world-sized spaceship approaching Earth. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 17, 2016 |
I liked the book even if found some annoying details I won't talk about here because they could be a spoiler. My Clarke's favorite is still Childhood's End. But both the descriptions of Rama and Clarke's great writing style were interesting enough for me to consider reading this story sequel. ( )
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |

Clarke, Arthur C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
กลุ่มอ…Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castellano, Peter M.Back cover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Merlo, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swendsen, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volný, ZdeňekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zebrowski, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sri Lanka, where I climbed the stairway of the Gods.
Sooner or later, it was bound to happen.

An unknown space probe
flies through Earth's solar system;
What is inside it?
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553287893, Mass Market Paperback)

An all-time science fiction classic, Rendezvous with Rama is also one of Clarke's best novels--it won the Campbell, Hugo, Jupiter, and Nebula Awards. A huge, mysterious, cylindrical object appears in space, swooping in toward the sun. The citizens of the solar system send a ship to investigate before the enigmatic craft, called Rama, disappears. The astronauts given the task of exploring the hollow cylindrical ship are able to decipher some, but definitely not all, of the extraterrestrial vehicle's puzzles. From the ubiquitous trilateral symmetry of its structures to its cylindrical sea and machine-island, Rama's secrets are strange evidence of an advanced civilization. But who, and where, are the Ramans, and what do they want with humans? Perhaps the answer lies with the busily working biots, or the sealed-off buildings, or the inaccessible "southern" half of the enormous cylinder. Rama's unsolved mysteries are tantalizing indeed. Rendezvous with Rama is fast moving, fascinating, and a must-read for science fiction fans. Clarke collaborated with Gentry Lee in writing several Rama sequels, beginning with Rama II.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:19 -0400)

Astronomers discover a huge, celestial object hurtling through space and after a space probe confirms that is not a natural object, send a space team to investigate.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,523,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible