Rendezvous with Rama. by Arthur C. Clarke

Rendezvous with Rama. (original 1972; edition 2003)

by Arthur C. Clarke

5,741None735 (3.96)2 / 148
Member:delta351
Title:Rendezvous with Rama.
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Hueber Max GmbH Co. KG (2003), Paperback
Rating:***1/2

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Author) (1972)

20th century (20) aliens (53) Arthur C. Clarke (33) Clarke (31) classic (35) ebook (24) fiction (447) first contact (57) hard sf (26) hardcover (17) Hugo (29) Hugo Award (34) hugo winner (38) Nebula (25) Nebula Award (30) nebula winner (31) novel (81) own (26) paperback (37) Rama (119) read (99) science fiction (1,373) series (31) sf (240) SF Masterworks (21) sff (75) space (46) space travel (22) to-read (59) unread (19)

English (73)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (78)
Fantastic book about exploration and adaptation and discovery ( )
  mccandlessn | Apr 6, 2014 |
Loved it.

Science fiction in its true form. just science and fiction. A very good story about future and science.

Gripping story. Wonderful narration.

The story divided into many small chapters. each having some thing big that affects the story.

was a very interesting experience.wondering if I should continue with the series or not. I think I will.

Nothing happens. :P
  maheswaranm | Mar 20, 2014 |
An unidentified celestial object, dubbed Rama by astronomers, is thought to be a comet as it approaches the solar system. When it is discovered that the object is cylindrical and very clearly artificial, a crew is dispatched to check it out. Like much hard SF, this book is more about ideas than story or characters. Some of the "future morality" - polygamy, shared spouses - felt kind of thrown in, whether for shock value or just "hey look how different society is now" I don't know. It didn't add anything to the story, but it didn't really detract either. It just seemed extraneous. Still, the focus of the novel remained on Rama, as it should. I had a very difficult time wrapping my head around the geography of Rama, but I found much of the science - the gravity, the strange weather systems, the critters - quite compelling. If you like hard SF, well, you've probably already read this one. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get to it, but I'm glad I did. It's certainly quite the thought experiment. ( )
  melydia | Feb 23, 2014 |
The is one of ACC's best works of "hard SF". The quality diminishes somewhat with the sequels but this first novel sets the stage. With the outstanding CGI these days I also look forward to seeing a movie adaptation. ( )
  joeteo1 | Feb 19, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book many years ago when I was younger and always wondered if I would enjoy it again.
I'm glad to say I did.
Arthur C. Clarke was always good at portraying the future of humanity as one that is upbeat and positive. And he does that again while also describing the sense of mystery, fascination and wonder that is Rama - an alien ship that has entered out solar system.

The characters are mostly perfunctory, but they serve their purpose. The real main character of the book is Rama and you are left wanting to know as much about it as possible.
Some people may not like this book because you are left with many more questions then answers, but if you are willing to accept you can never know everything and keep a sense of wonder, you will enjoy this book. ( )
  LustyRebel | Feb 10, 2014 |

Clarke, Arthur C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
กลุ่มอ…Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
C. de Merlo, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castellano, Peter M.Back cover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Merlo, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swendsen, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volný, ZdeňekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zebrowski, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sri Lanka, where I climbed the stairway of the Gods.
Sooner or later, it was bound to happen.

An unknown space probe
flies through Earth's solar system;
What is inside it?
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553287893, Mass Market Paperback)

An all-time science fiction classic, Rendezvous with Rama is also one of Clarke's best novels--it won the Campbell, Hugo, Jupiter, and Nebula Awards. A huge, mysterious, cylindrical object appears in space, swooping in toward the sun. The citizens of the solar system send a ship to investigate before the enigmatic craft, called Rama, disappears. The astronauts given the task of exploring the hollow cylindrical ship are able to decipher some, but definitely not all, of the extraterrestrial vehicle's puzzles. From the ubiquitous trilateral symmetry of its structures to its cylindrical sea and machine-island, Rama's secrets are strange evidence of an advanced civilization. But who, and where, are the Ramans, and what do they want with humans? Perhaps the answer lies with the busily working biots, or the sealed-off buildings, or the inaccessible "southern" half of the enormous cylinder. Rama's unsolved mysteries are tantalizing indeed. Rendezvous with Rama is fast moving, fascinating, and a must-read for science fiction fans. Clarke collaborated with Gentry Lee in writing several Rama sequels, beginning with Rama II.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:19 -0400)

Astronomers discover a huge, celestial object hurtling through space and after a space probe confirms that is not a natural object, send a space team to investigate.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible