Rendezvous with Rama. by Arthur C. Clarke

Rendezvous with Rama. (original 1972; edition 2003)

by Arthur C. Clarke

5,83879724 (3.97)2 / 150
Member:delta351
Title:Rendezvous with Rama.
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Hueber Max GmbH Co. KG (2003), Paperback
Rating:***1/2

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Author) (1972)

20th century (22) aliens (53) Arthur C. Clarke (33) Clarke (31) classic (34) ebook (24) fiction (454) first contact (57) hard sf (30) hardcover (19) Hugo (30) Hugo Award (36) hugo winner (38) Nebula (25) Nebula Award (30) nebula winner (31) novel (83) own (27) paperback (37) Rama (120) read (100) science fiction (1,387) series (32) sf (244) SF Masterworks (22) sff (78) space (46) space travel (23) to-read (72) unread (19)

English (74)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
This is one of the few classic science fiction books I truly felt I had to read, the concept was just so fascinating and seems to get repeated a lot in current fiction, and the images that artists and fans have come up with to visualize the story were just so amazing.
I always held off reading it as sometimes older science fiction can be both challenging and a disappointment as both writing styles and scientific knowledge often moves on and leaves the books feeling dated. I did not get that at all with this book.
Compared to most science fiction of today it was rather slow paced with few to none action scenes, it was more like reading a puzzle as it unfolds before you and you just can't wait to turn the page and come across the next fascinating feature of Rama.
I had a lot of questions at the end of the book that never got answered (and probably never will, and possibly that was the point) though it is clear there is a set up for the sequel which I will have to read soon.
This may seem an odd way to explain it, but reading this book made me feel very happy and excited to read more science fiction. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jun 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book many years ago when I was younger and always wondered if I would enjoy it again.
I'm glad to say I did.
Arthur C. Clarke was always good at portraying the future of humanity as one that is upbeat and positive. And he does that again while also describing the sense of mystery, fascination and wonder that is Rama - an alien ship that has entered out solar system.

The characters are mostly perfunctory, but they serve their purpose. The real main character of the book is Rama and you are left wanting to know as much about it as possible.
Some people may not like this book because you are left with many more questions then answers, but if you are willing to accept you can never know everything and keep a sense of wonder, you will enjoy this book. ( )
  LustyRebel | May 30, 2014 |
Me resulta una tremenda crueldad que el libro terminase sin resolver muchas de las preguntas que saltan al leerlo. Uno podría discutir que este es un libro en el que en realidad no sucede nada, y es que en verdad no "pasa nada" (no hay acción de por sí, ni demasiadas confrontaciones, ni nada por el estilo), es puramente la exploración de Rama. Pero es justamente Rama en sí, los personajes, y la manera en que está escrito que me atrapó por completo, y ya quisiera tener los otros libros para ver si proveen las respuestas a las preguntas que me han quedado.
La frase final del libro ciertamente promete.

Lo único que no me gustó fue el típico momento dónde los Señores Disparo Primero y Pregunto Después intentan destruir Rama, un cliché un tanto cansino, y el cual podría haber sido obviado ya que a mi parecer no aportó nada a la historia y me resultó más molesto que otra cosa. Pero fueron solo un par de capítulos, y bastante cortos. ( )
  AshuritaLove | May 20, 2014 |
Fantastic book about exploration and adaptation and discovery ( )
  mccandlessn | Apr 6, 2014 |
Loved it.

Science fiction in its true form. just science and fiction. A very good story about future and science.

Gripping story. Wonderful narration.

The story divided into many small chapters. each having some thing big that affects the story.

was a very interesting experience.wondering if I should continue with the series or not. I think I will.

Nothing happens. :P
  maheswaranm | Mar 20, 2014 |

Clarke, Arthur C.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
กลุ่มอ…Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
C. de Merlo, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Castellano, Peter M.Back cover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
de Merlo, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swendsen, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vallandro, LeonelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volný, ZdeňekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zebrowski, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sri Lanka, where I climbed the stairway of the Gods.
Sooner or later, it was bound to happen.

An unknown space probe
flies through Earth's solar system;
What is inside it?
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553287893, Mass Market Paperback)

An all-time science fiction classic, Rendezvous with Rama is also one of Clarke's best novels--it won the Campbell, Hugo, Jupiter, and Nebula Awards. A huge, mysterious, cylindrical object appears in space, swooping in toward the sun. The citizens of the solar system send a ship to investigate before the enigmatic craft, called Rama, disappears. The astronauts given the task of exploring the hollow cylindrical ship are able to decipher some, but definitely not all, of the extraterrestrial vehicle's puzzles. From the ubiquitous trilateral symmetry of its structures to its cylindrical sea and machine-island, Rama's secrets are strange evidence of an advanced civilization. But who, and where, are the Ramans, and what do they want with humans? Perhaps the answer lies with the busily working biots, or the sealed-off buildings, or the inaccessible "southern" half of the enormous cylinder. Rama's unsolved mysteries are tantalizing indeed. Rendezvous with Rama is fast moving, fascinating, and a must-read for science fiction fans. Clarke collaborated with Gentry Lee in writing several Rama sequels, beginning with Rama II.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:19 -0400)

Astronomers discover a huge, celestial object hurtling through space and after a space probe confirms that is not a natural object, send a space team to investigate.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible