Q-Squared by Peter David

It says this is unabridged, but I swear, at 3 hours, it feels like it's been edited down to fit a specific time frame. This compression made the book feel rushed, took away character personality. Even Q felt ... bland. If that is ever possible.

The primary baddie in this book is definitely annoying. More annoying than Q. And that's saying something. But he seemed more like a spoiled brat playing with a new toy rather than an omnipotent being with the power to destroy the universe...

Interesting way to end it, not sure I like it. This is a book where... I can honestly say it needs to be read, not listened to. Unfortunately, because John de Lancie is such a good reader for most of the Q based books. ( )
  gilroy | Dec 14, 2017 |
This is another ST:TNG book that I loved back when the show was still on the air. Once again, Peter David took the source material to new heights with his intricate storyline and great humor. Recommended to anyone who likes Star Trek and/or Peter David. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
Q, a mysterious, omnipotent being, once again wreaks havoc on the Enterprise when he returns to challenge his archenemy Trelane, another being from his continuum, and their confrontation could spell the ultimate disaster for Captain Jean-Luc Picard. 150,000 first printing ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
It was okay. I remember why I stopped reading Star Trek books 20 years ago... and why I gave up on STTNG even longer. Got tired of all the extra-dimensional, time travel where no one remembered what happened, thus it doesn't impact the characters or the series. It had plenty of fun, adventurous parts, but... somehow it left me hollow.
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
By the time Q-Squared debuted at the height of NextGen fandom back in the mid-1990s, Peter David had cemented himself as one of the premier Star Trek novelists. Possibly THE premier Star Trek novelist. I wish I got on board early with the show's expansive book series. I loved ST:TNG and would have equally loved passing the time reading Star Trek while waiting for new shows to air. Incidentally, this book was one of the first Trek novels I ever read.

Similar to Imzadi, but still two distinctly different stories, Q-Squared is a fusion of all the great elements of Star Trek. That's understating it. As the author relates in the forward, there are the episodic novels, the ones that feel like one of the TV episodes, and then there are the more ambitious novels, the ones where a writer can push the boundaries of the Star Trek universe and weave a complicated story that could never exist on TV. Q-Squared is such a novel and one of the best. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Dec 26, 2014 |
To Gunter David
Happy Birthday
The child looked up at the adult eagerly, wonderingly in that way that children had.