Acts of Worship by Yukio Mishima

Acts of Worship

by Yukio Mishima

All member reviews
Mishima began my love of Japanese literature, especially short stories. Japanese literature has a refreshing vein of naturalism and mysticism, and Mishima's stories are prime examples. I used some of his stories to teach themes to tenth graders (especially the rain one, with the rain outside, the water in the fountain, the tears on the girl's face, etc). He's a brilliant short story writer. I also enjoyed his other collection, Death in Midsummer. ( )
1 vote amandacb | Mar 19, 2010 |
This collection of seven of Mishima's stories is stunningly beautiful and deeply engaging. I enjoyed "Sword" and the title story perhaps the most of all, as their deeper shades of meaning continue to elude my scrutiny. Truly a collection which displays Mishima's literary genius. ( )
1 vote milkyfangs | Nov 23, 2009 |
In Acts of Worship, Mishima captures the nihilistic despair and complex beauty of characters and settings much like in his longer work. While still containing the essence of his style, the short length of the stories do not allow room for a complete showcase of his talent. Some of the stories are only satisfactory, but others are excellent quality. 'Sword' and 'Act of Worship' stand out boldly among the rest. A worthwhile read for those already acquainted with Mishima's work. ( )
  poetontheone | Feb 12, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible