Across the Pond by Storyheart

Across the Pond (2008)

by Storyheart

This is a great comming-of-age story. It's sweet, funny and charming. I loved the story and the characters. I'll be sure to keep this book for my son to read when he is older. ( )
  tldittmer04 | Mar 5, 2010 |
Reviewed by Lauren Ashley for TeensReadToo.com

ACROSS THE POND brings us the story of Englander Fred, who goes on vacation to the United States, where he stays with a family friend. This family has a daugther, Brit, who becomes quite attached to Fred, and vice versa.

However, when Fred learns something about Brit's past that she hasn't told anyone else, he decides that he has to do right by her and make sure the offender learns his lesson. During his stay in the U.S., Fred works on a project that focuses on the differences in the English language, which you find throughout the book.

This is a short, entertaining read. I liked Fred's character for the most part and enjoyed the mishaps he found himself in due to the language "barriers." His project was fun and I really liked seeing the various words and their meanings between the U.S. and England. It was exciting to see that I knew most of them, as well!!

However, I did have a slight problem with Brit. She's overly-emotional, and I felt that their relationship happened really fast. I like romance in books, and it worked okay for this story, but Fred's trip didn't seem long enough to fall that deeply "in love" with Brit.

But I'm sure it's happened and I know teens often have quick, fast relationships, so it's not a really big problem...just a thought I had at points in the story. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |
Going to Australia for vacation is more than just a dream. If you get to go for free, it's just plain lucky! Unfortunately, the prize was only two tickets so while Fred Squire's parents are living it up, he is stuck to visit old friends in the States. While a British accent and using the word ‘love’ in normal conversation isn’t unusual where he lives, the girls in the United States can’t get enough of it! Falling in love with the American sport of baseball and the daughter of his dad’s friend at the same time can be tiring, but Fred doesn’t want to leave. How could two fourteen-year-olds stay in love if one of them has to go back across the pond?

This book was very predictable: boy falls for girl, boy must save girl from bully, and all put into a drama that just didn’t fit. The author sped through the scenes and left a bunch of space empty. The romance grew too quickly for me to imagine them actually being in love. In fact, it seemed like it was still in it’s first revision. I understand there would be a confusion over the slang words (being from different countries) but having Fred realize that on every page was too much. Fred was one-dimensional and couldn’t see past what was right in front of him. It was all inside-the-box. I wanted a more complete ending and wished I could enjoy at least one of the characters. But I wasn’t able to. They didn’t have any depth and the dialogue was the only part I truly liked about this book. ( )
  GirlwiththeBraids | Sep 15, 2009 |
Across the Pond is a story of an English boy who travels to America for a week while his parents vacation in Australia. While in America, Fred stays with friends of his parents and their daughter. Over the week of his stay Fred finds himself falling in love, along with multiple other adventures. The story is totally unbelievable. These teenagers fall into a trusting relationship in a matter of hours and Fred manages to fix a plaguing problem in his week stay. The characters and the conversations that take place are a little annoying. Cute but not mush else. ( )
  chris227 | Aug 26, 2009 |
Synopsis:

Fourteen-year-old Brit Fred Squire was not excited for his first visit to the US with his father's friends. Aside from a tiresome school assignment of compiling the Americanisms he comes across and their British equivalents, Fred is nervous about meeting Brittany, his host family's teenage daughter.

But from the moment they meet, it's clear that Fred and Brittany, a.k.a. "Brit", click. Brit makes Fred's Americanisms assignment fun. With their shared sense of humor, love of music and sports, the two become fast friends. Brit introduces Fred to life in America - the slang, the mall, her friends, American food, and baseball. Fred even helps Brit handle her one big fear. Before they realize it, the visit is over but hopefully, Fred and Brit's friendship won't be.

Review:

I really loved this book! Fred is funny, sympathetic and hugely likable. All the characters had well defined personalities and the writing was so fun that it took me a while to realize that the book is a romance. Across the Pond doesn't feel like a contemporary YA romance as much as an updated romance similar to Fifteen by Beverly Cleary. Each scene in the book is fun and diverting, and with Fred as the protagonist, I feel that people of all ages would enjoy Across the Pond.

I highly recommend Across the Pond to anyone looking for a light, fun read. I think that even young boys will enjoy the book's humor and plot. I'm passing on my copy to my nieces - and am sure that they'll enjoy this book as much I did!

Publisher: Xlibris Corporation; 1st edition (September 25, 2008), 120 pages.
Courtesy of Bostick Communications. ( )
  gaby317 | Aug 15, 2009 |
Dedicated to Stacey, the reason I moved "Across the Pond". Andrew and Victoria, the results of me moving to the US. And to all my family and friends I left behind in England.
Burrrdonk! The wheels locked as the plane descended toward the airport.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible