Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter

Awaken Me Darkly

by Gena Showalter

Series: Alien Huntress (1)

Awaken Me Darkly
4 Stars

Mia Snow is an Alien Huntress tasked with pursuing, capturing and, if necessary, executing extraterrestrials responsible for harming humans. When an alien serial killer begins targeting young, dark-haired, dark-eyed men, Mia and her fellow hunters must track down the culprit, but the case takes a disturbing turn when an enigmatic and erotic stranger contacts Mia with an offer she can’t refuse …

Science-fiction is not one of my preferred genres, however, the sci-fi elements in this book are secondary and contribute to rather than distract from the setting and the story. In fact, other than references to the arrival of aliens and descriptions of futuristic weapons and other technological advances, the story could very well be set in contemporary times.

Anyone expecting feminine softness beneath Mia’s tough-as-nails facade is bound to be disappointed as she is the personification of a ball-busting, hard-nosed female cop. That said, there is an inner vulnerability and need to be loved that makes her very appealing and adds an extra layer of emotion and intensity to her relationship with Kyrin.

Kyrin is an amalgamation of opposites. On the one hand, he is a typical alpha male - sexy, strong and secretive. Yet, he also accepts Mia’s need to be in control and even encourages her strength and independence. While it is difficult to classify his relationship with Mia as a romance given their intense battle of wills, there is definitely an emotional component that intensifies their underlying chemistry.

The mystery surrounding the disappearances of several young men is intriguing although the revelations toward the end are not all that surprising and can be guessed early on. The final confrontation with the villain is rather anti-climactic given the build up, but the resolution is ultimately satisfying.

In sum, the world building is detailed without focusing excessively on the sci-fi elements, the primary and secondary characters are compelling and the mystery is action packed. Justine Eyre’s narration is excellent and she is fast becoming a favorite. Looking forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
totally loved the strong heroine and action. Her romance didn't make her any less cool. ( )
  SarcasmQueen | Feb 24, 2015 |
Awaken Me Darkly is set in the future when different species of aliens are openly living amongst humans. Mia is part of a law enforcement group that specifically deal with alien-related crime. She hunts down the criminals and if she finds them guilty, they are executed. There is no trial.

Mia is a no-nonsense kick-ass alien hunter, she's had a tough life growing up. Her mother left after she was born, her two brothers were murdered and her father stopped loving her and turned abusive when her first brother died when she was just 5 years old. She has no room in her life for love but she cares deeply for her team of very loyal hunters. She is very physical with her emotions, if you upset her she lets you know right away with a punch or a slap to the face - as Kyrin notes “Can you not go one day without using your fists?” which lets you know just how often she gets upset!

Mia encounters Kyrin when she begins investigating a serial killer who is murdering human men and displaying them in public. Kyrin is the obvious suspect he had contact with all of the victims before they died but it isn't as simple as that. Mia is drawn to him, she can sense him, his energy - she's human she shouldn't be able to do that. She fights her attraction to him in order to remain cold impartial but he shows her that he isn't responsible for the murders, that there is a whole lot more to the story than just these murders. He shines a light on her personal life, her very being and reveals that she has a connection to the real murderer.

My only real complaint about this book is the lack of background. Being the first book I expected there to be more information about the different species of aliens, a little more on the supporting characters, even Kyrian and Lilla. I also wanted to follow Mia as she looked for the children, a loose end that was never addressed. I understand the next few books follow different couples so I guess that we will not find out what happened to the children.

I never would have read this type of book if it hadn't been for a group challenge. I'm glad I did. I had read the authors first book in the Lords of the Underworld series which I enjoyed so I naturally picked this book to fit the alien category of the challenge. I'm not sure whether I'll continue reading the series now that I know this story will not be continued but it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Mia Snow is an alien hunter working for futuristic law enforcement agency A.I.R. (Alien Investigation and Removal Agents) In her capacity, she is allowed to kill alien wrongdoers with impunity, which makes her job both easier and harder than for today’s law enforcement. She has been taught from a young age to hate other-worlders and has a difficult time giving them the benefit of the doubt. That changes when she becomes involved in a case revolving around some disappearing men and a fertility clinic. She meets Kyrin en Arr and desires him immediately, even though he’s Arcadian, a particularly powerful race of alien. Kyrin seems like suspect #1 in her case, but she’s hesitant to believe he’s a murderer. She risks her career to work with him and discover the real culprit behind the killings and learns some important secrets about herself along the way.
Suspenseful, crackling with heat and chemistry, just enough mystery and twists to keep one entertained, this is a pretty decent urban fantasy novel. The world building is done well, without a lot of exposition and things are revealed to the reader at a good pace. Recommended for fans of the genre. ( )
  EmScape | Dec 7, 2013 |
My Thoughts on the audio:
Justin Eyre has a smokey, sexy, just woke up kinda voice. At times it seemed raspier than others. I'm guessing she did this to fit the character, Mia Snow. Overall I did like her narration. She was pleasant to listen to.

My Thoughts on the story:
I'm a fan of Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series, so I decided to give the Alien Huntress series a try. This book takes place in a futuristic world where aliens live among us. Some are good, others-not so much. That's where Mia Snow comes in. She works for the New Chicago Police Department hunting down outlaw aliens. She's hunting down a serial killer when she meets the sexy, mysterious Kyrin. He gives her a lead and then disappears. However Mia soon learns that Kyrin is the key to stopping the serial killer. The closer she gets to him, the more she can lose herself.
Awaken Me Darkly is the first book in this series. This didn't grab me the same way Lords of the Underworld did, but I still liked it. Mia is a good character. She's strong, but also she has a lot of doubts. Her team trusts her and would go out on a limb for her no matter the situation. The chemistry she has with Kyrin is really good. They have a undeniable attraction to each other, even when they are fighting.
The story line is good as well. Showalter does a great job in laying out the mystery and romance. She does leave you wanting more. Overall this is a good book. I definitely want to continue with the series to see where Showalter takes it. ( )
  mt256 | Oct 6, 2013 |

Gena Showalterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Arvor, Nellie d'Traductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
d'Arvor, NellieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074349749X, Paperback)

When a number of virile humans are abducted, Mia Snow, a member of an elite task force within the New Chicago PD assigned to stalk and kill otherwordly predators, suspects that the Arcadians, a powerful race of aliens with powerful psychic talents, are responsible and must use her own psychic abilities and fighting skills to stop the terror. Origin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:18 -0400)

"In a time and place not too far away, Mia Snow is an alien huntress for the New Chicago Police Department, and she's the perfect girl for the job. Tough and sexy, she's earned each of her scars battling the elusive enemy among us. Now, investigating a series of killings, she is shaken to the core when a burst of violence leaves her partner Dallas fighting for his life. A tall, erotic stranger holds the power to heal the injured agent -- and to bind Mia in an electrifying and dangerous seduction. He is Kyrin en Arr, of the deadly Arcadian species -- an alien, a murder suspect -- who has Mia walking a knife's edge, risking her badge and even her life. . . and edging closer to a shocking revelation that will shatter everything she's ever believed"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,068,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible