Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Grave Sight

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Harper Connelly Mysteries (1)

English (106)  Italian (1)  All languages (107)
First of four novels in the Harper Connelly mystery series. As a result of being struck by lightning as a teenager, Harper has the ability to sense the location of dead people. Harper can’t actually tell who killed murder victims, but she can tell how they died. She now makes a living at this, travelling the country with her protective stepbrother, Tolliver Lang.

In Grave Sight the duo take on a job for a wealthy widow who wants to locate the body of her dead son’s girlfriend, Tini Hopkins. There are rumours that she was supposedly killed by her boyfriend, who then committed suicide. Harper finds the body, but when she 'reads' the boyfriend's grave, she can tell that he was also murdered. Harper and Tolliver become involved in unraveling the case. A fantastic read. ( )
  boppisces | Jan 10, 2015 |
This is the first Charlaine Harris book I've read so didn't know what to expect. Story-wise it's a good mystery and I didn't guess the ending until...well, the end. I just never really felt connected to the characters though. Harper is really hard to figure out, one minute she's streetsmart and mouthy, the next she's a wreck and can't function because she's like a little-girl-lost. I'm not sure if this will be explained a little more in the next books but so far she's not that likeable. Her brother Tolliver is a bit of a mystery too and I'm still not sure what makes him tick.

It's a good book but I'm hoping it will become a bit more fleshed out in the rest of the series. I was hoping for more of her special ability of being able to 'speak' to the departed and the story did revolve around this, but there wasn't very much of that side of things this time.

It held my interest to find out where things were headed all the way through so I'd recommend it, but it's a fairly quick read and if I'm honest not a lot happened in this one. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Was a fun read and what I've come to expect from Charlaine Harris. Was very happy with this book as we've reached the end of the Sookie Stackhouse series. I'm with some of the other reviewers in that I had put the pieces together prior to the end of the book, that being said I do like this series so far. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Oct 11, 2014 |
I started off reading the book and listening to the audio at the same time but the narrator, Ms. Monotone put me off so I gave up on her and relied on my own inner voice as I read the rest of the book by myself.

The first half was pretty interesting but at 51% I'd guessed the main murderer and the motive. After that, the book was no longer as interesting as I waited to be proved right or wrong. The violent attempts on Harper's life kept me reading but if it hadn't been for those the rest might've dragged. In the end, I was disappointed to be proved right in my guess.

However, Harper's background with her difficult childhood and family situation together with her intelligent observations and reactions to how others treat her as well as her determination to not be damaged by them, are the reason why I'm awarding this 3 stars instead of 2.

Her relationship with her brother is an odd one and is explained by Tolliver's observation:
"You need to stop reading mysteries for a while. Or get a new sidekick."
"Sidekick?"
"Yeah, if you're the brilliant sleuth, I must be the slightly denser but brilliant-in-my-own-way sidekick, right?"
"Yes, Watson."
"More like Sharona."
"That'd make me Monk?"
"If the shoe fits."
Monk is a TV show in which Sharona is Monk's nurse, handler and personal assistant all rolled into one. Harper was hurt by Tolliver's evaluation of his role in her life because it was a little too close to the truth but just because she was extremely vulnerable without him she managed to survive when she was physically attacked. She fought back with gusto and refused to back down to a pack of teenage bullies surrounding her. I admired Harper for this. She could easily play the role of a typical victim, persecuted for her natural talent for detecting the dead, their names and cause of death after being struck by lightning.

Tolliver, on the other hand, I couldn't get a complete grasp on him. I wasn't enamoured with him at all despite his obvious caring and protectiveness towards his step-sister. They live difficult lives on the road and I sympathised with their way of life, their erratic and depressing sex lives and just a general lack of genuine friends and family whom they can turn to in a crisis.

Overall, the mystery wasn't quite as mysterious as it first appeared but the characterisation and observations of the leading lady made up for this.

In comparison to Harris' other paranormal series, Sookie Stackhouse, this has a much more serious tone and a darker outlook on the realities of life.

I have the next two in the series so I will continue reading. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Im in love with her books since I read this - I like sookie stackhouse - but I love harper more. Because she has more shit to deal with I think :) ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Harper Connelly es una chica honesta, leal y, a los ojos de mucha gente, un poco rara. Desde que fue alcanzada por un rayo, posee un extraño don: puede encontrar a personas muertas y revelar cómo murieron, actividad mediante la que se gana la vida. En su primera aventura, Harper llega a una pequeña población de Arkansas con su hermanastro, que le hace de manager y de guardaespaldas, para localizar el paradero de unos niños que han desaparecido, pero allí descubrirá una compleja red de mentiras y asesinatos que pretende esconder un secreto para siempre.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hollenbach,DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sheriff didn't want me there.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425212890, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:31 -0400)

Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Traveling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,044,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible