Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris
2007 (10) 2009 (13) Arkansas (12) audiobook (14) Book 1 (12) Charlaine Harris (23) crime (22) dead people (12) death (17) ebook (17) fantasy (89) fiction (161) first in series (14) ghosts (35) Harper Connelly (141) horror (17) library (22) murder (29) mystery (350) own (13) paranormal (149) paranormal mystery (23) psychic (28) read (49) series (55) supernatural (62) to-read (42) unread (12) urban fantasy (54) vampires (11)

English (101)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
Okay, now I've officially read the Harper Connelly series as it exists. I'm looking forward to future books. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
I liked the limited nature of Harper's gift, and her attitude that her gift is how she makes a living, and why shouldn't she get paid for doing something that helps people. After all everyone else expects to be paid for doing their jobs, even those in the so-called 'caring professions'. I thought that the claustrophobic atmosphere of Sarne came across really well, with the close ties of family and employment between everyone involved in the case. Harper made an interesting comment towards the end of the book, when she realised to her surprise that everyone she came across who wasn't linked to the case seemed perfectly professional and friendly, so maybe she had not been seeing the real Sarne after all.

Harper wasn't a very good investigator, and I rolled my eyed when she shook a book to see if anything fell out, rather than checking to see if there was a bookmark in a particular page, but I suppose that's realistic since she normally leaves town as soon as she has found a dead body or confirmed the cause of death, so she isn't used to investigating murders.

On the other hand, the reason for the murder of the teenagers and the identity of the murderer was a bit too easy to work out, and I really disliked the unhealthily co-dependant relationship between Harper and her step-brother Tolliver. Also, I listened to this as an audio book, and if I had been reading a paper book I would probably have skipped some of Harper's repetitive musigns on her deprived childhood, ( )
  isabelx | Nov 12, 2013 |
Not bad! Grave sight is an urban fantasy, but lacks the elements that I've come to associate with urbans: sexy heroine who kicks ass, breakneck pace, many fantastical elements. That's all to the good as far as I am concerned: I find current-day traditional urbans tiresome. Grave sight is almost more a detective. I found the continuous mention of everyone having a problem with Harper wanting to get paid annoying, and the eventual story around the killer a bit shallow. It didn't seem enough for the numerous murders that were committed. But other than that, it was a good read. ( )
  zjakkelien | Oct 16, 2013 |
Thought it was good. Quick read. If you like the True blood books you will like this. No vampires
  waeschle | Aug 18, 2013 |
As with Kelley Armstrong, I saw and heard enough of Charlaine Harris that I stuck her work in the bargain bin in my head -- trashy, not worth reading, blahblahblah snobbery. But actually, I quite enjoyed Grave Sight: again, as with the Kelley Armstrong books, I found that it was light but fun, and with the bonus of the non-sexual intense relationship between Harper and her step brother, too. I have a thing for relationships like that, where two people rely on each other deeply. See also: my massive love for Supernatural and the erotically co-dependent Sam and Dean (which this book has a fair amount in common with).

There's nothing especially unique about this, it's true, but it's actually full of strong female characters, interesting relationships (e.g. the casual but not meaningless sex that Harper has)... They had this series for £2 per book in the hospital where I volunteer, and I think I'll grab the others sometime (when I'm not trying to have a month without buying books: I don't want them enough to break that resolution).

I will note that someone seriously needs to do proofreading. "He said finally, in a final voice"? Silly little inconsistencies that're just big enough to bug me? Eek. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 2, 2013 |
The sheriff didn't want me there.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425212890, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:40 -0400)

Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Traveling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible