dismiss

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

The End of the Affair (1951)

by Graham Greene

Maurice Bendrix's love affair with his friend's wife, Sarah, had begun in London during the Blitz. One day, inexplicably and without warning, Sarah had broken off the relationship. Two years later, driven by obsessive jealousy and grief, Bendrix sends Parkis, a private detective, to follow Sarah.

English (135)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (141)
Audio book read by Collin Firth -- fantastic. ( )
  szbuhayar | May 24, 2020 |
The End of the Affair remains, as it was when I read it 30 years ago, an exceptionally well-written consideration of the theme of human and divine love. Unfortunately, I have a lot less tolerance in my 60s than I did in my 30s for selfish, inconsiderate, incessantly complaining men. The narrator/protagonist was all of these and worse. I'm so glad I read the book when I could still enjoy it. ( )
  muumi | Mar 30, 2020 |
A beautifully written novel that starts out quite strong but fell short as the plot unfolded. Overall, a thought-provoking book that is well worth one's time. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Mar 28, 2020 |
This is so godammned manly.
  thenumeraltwo | Feb 10, 2020 |
I'd put off reading this book for years because I thought it would be dull and tiresome, despite people whose opinions I respect telling me otherwise. Middle-aged British dude whining about his married lover leaving him? No thanks.

I was gratefully wrong. From the beginning, I was riveted, moved, outraged, tickled, entranced, heartbroken, bolstered, and defeated. Not many books leave me wanting more or wanting to immediately start from the beginning, but this one did. ( )
2 vote revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
In "The End of the Affair" the splendidly stupid private detective, Alfred Parkis, and his apprentice son, and the maudlin grifter who is the heroine's mother, equal the best of the seedy supernumeraries of his other novels. It is savage and sad, vulgar and ideal, coarse and refined, and a rather accurate image of an era of cunning and glory, of cowardice and heroism, of belief and unbelief.

Great romantic novels are about pain and hate, and among the greatest is Graham Greene's searing The End of the Affair. It is one of the most forensic and honest analyses of love you will ever read.

Graham Greeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Firth, ColinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hogarth, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence.
Leon Bloy
To C.
A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.
Henry had his tray, sitting up against two pillows in his green woollen dressing-gown, and in the room below, on the hardwood floor, with a single cushion for support, and the door ajar, we made love.
I suppose Germany by this time had invaded the Low Countries: the spring like a corpse was sweet with the smell of doom,...

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,532,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible