The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

The End of the Affair (original 1951; edition 2003)

by Graham Greene

Title:The End of the Affair
Authors:Graham Greene
Info:Vintage (2003), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:FUE - KEL
Tags:England, tbr

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (1951)

English (89)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (93)
This book ended up being something I didn't expect from it. Although I was a little confused by what was going on at the start of the novel, I soon found my footing. Colin Firth's narration is excellent, and really infused with emotion.

I don't know how I felt about the characters themselves most of the time. I don't know that I found any of them particularly likable, but I did find myself getting interested in their stories and their relationships to one another. I also really liked the unexpected direction the story took in the last quarter or so of the book. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |
(In October 2015, my arts center had a chance to sell a first edition, first printing of Graham Greene's "The End of the Affair." [Want to see if it's still for sale? Visit http://www.ebay.com/usr/cclapcenter .] Below is the write-up I did of it for the eBay listing.)

Even the mention of his name anymore -- "GraHHHmmm GrEEEEEnne" -- evokes the spirit of far-off adventure, world-weary cynicism, and the passionate romances that still take place under such circumstances; and it's no surprise that it does so, when you look at the life of this remarkable writer and sometimes British spy. A sufferer of bipolar disorder, who as a child spent an intense half-year in institutionalized psychotherapy right when the term was first being invented, Greene's natural love of intellectualism and world travel made him a perfect 20th-century recruit for MI-6 (by his sister of all people, who happened to be an employee herself), and it's no wonder that his most famous novels are all set within the shadowy world of Western intelligence agencies' covert ops within places where they're not supposed to be, including looks at a pre-revolution Cuba, a pre-war Vietnam, and a post-war Berlin still full of Nazis and other criminals, eventually turned into the respective popular movies Our Man in Havana, The Quiet American and The Third Man. (And this is to say nothing of the complicated, critical look he took in many of these novels at the Catholic Church [including reviving an obscure philosophy from the 1600s that says since it's impossible for humans to avoid sinning, they might as well not even try], so controversial at the time that no less than the pope himself [one of millions of Greene's fans] urged him during a private audience to essentially "not let the haters get him down".)

Today's 1951 book for sale is one of the most famous of his 26 novels, for a variety of reasons; his first project after the enormously successful The Third Man (which he adapted himself into the Orson-Welles-starring movie), and itself made into another hugely popular movie just a few years after publication, like the former it is set within a time and deals with themes that were particularly relevant for his contemporary readers at the time (namely, the morally ambiguous things we do in a time of war, and how to live with the repercussions when the peace comes again), boosted in its popularity by its leering semi-autobiographical elements. (Greene himself had an affair with a nobleman's wife in the years after World War Two, and he based this novel on the painful lessons he learned from it.) A great example of everything that made him so well-loved as an author, this is a must-have acquisition for any Greene fan (not to mention those building a collection of seminal Mid-Century Modernist novels), one of the more important books of his career which is what justifies its premium price today. A perfect holiday gift for the spy-thriller fan in your own life. ( )
1 vote jasonpettus | Oct 6, 2015 |
I'm not sure whether I would have enjoyed this book, had it not been for Colin Firth's narration. This was my first book by Graham Greene, and I really don't think I can add anything to the many reviews that have been written. Greene's writing is very good, but I can't say that I really liked the story. It is a story of lust, love, jealousy, hate, and faith or lack of faith. I didn't really like any of the characters, but that doesn't always keep me from liking a book. I think the ending was rather preachy, and that may be coloring my feelings about the book. Colin Firth's narration was excellent, and made it possible for me to be drawn into this very depressing tale, and I stayed pulled in right through the end.

I may eventually try another book by Greene. Are they all this depressing?

January 2015 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
A bit more difficult to read than a lot of Green's work. I know this is in his 'literature' as opposed to his 'entertainments' category, but not one of my favorites. A specific audience is needed here for his Catholic novels, and I'm just not really it! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jul 2, 2015 |
Colin Firth was PERFECT! I really loved this story. Marcus, is filled with hate thru-out the story which is told in his words on how he meets Sarah, seduces her to get info about her husband Henry for his next book, only he falls in love with her. They have an on-going affair that ends abruptly. Marcus doesn't really understand why, but he gets over her, so he tells himself, until he encounters Sarah's husband and over a drink finds out that Henry suspects Sarah of having an affair. Marcus is obsessed with finding out who Sarah is sleeping with now, despite deceiving Henry, he hires a Private Investigator. Parkus, the detective solves the case, and as an added bonus provides Marcus with Sarah's journal. In it Marcus reads of Sarah's love for him, her reasons for leaving him and the pact she made with God. ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 10, 2015 |
In "The End of the Affair" the splendidly stupid private detective, Alfred Parkis, and his apprentice son, and the maudlin grifter who is the heroine's mother, equal the best of the seedy supernumeraries of his other novels. It is savage and sad, vulgar and ideal, coarse and refined, and a rather accurate image of an era of cunning and glory, of cowardice and heroism, of belief and unbelief.
Great romantic novels are about pain and hate, and among the greatest is Graham Greene's searing The End of the Affair. It is one of the most forensic and honest analyses of love you will ever read.

Graham Greeneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Firth, ColinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have existence.
Leon Bloy
To C.
A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142437980, Paperback)

Set in London during and just after World War II, Graham Greene's The End of the Affair is a pathos-laden examination of a three-way collision between love of self, love of another, and love of God. The affair in question involves Maurice Bendrix, a solipsistic novelist, and a dutifully married woman, Sarah Miles. The lovers meet at a party thrown by Sarah's dreary civil-servant husband, and proceed to liberate each other from boredom and routine unhappiness. Reflecting on the ebullient beginnings of their romance, Bendrix recalls: "There was never any question in those days of who wanted whom--we were together in desire." Indeed, the affair goes on unchecked for several years until, during an afternoon tryst, Bendrix goes downstairs to look for intruders in his basement and a bomb falls on the building. Sarah rushes down to find him lying under a fallen door, and immediately makes a deal with God, whom she has never particularly cared for. "I love him and I'll do anything if you'll make him alive.... I'll give him up forever, only let him be alive with a chance.... People can love each other without seeing each other, can't they, they love You all their lives without seeing You."

Bendrix, as evidenced by his ability to tell the story, is not dead, merely unconscious, and so Sarah must keep her promise. She breaks off the relationship without giving a reason, leaving Bendrix mystified and angry. The only explanation he can think of is that she's left him for another man. It isn't until years later, when he hires a private detective to ascertain the truth, that he learns of her impassioned vow. Sarah herself comes to understand her move through a strange rationalization. Writing to God in her journal, she says:

You willed our separation, but he [Bendrix] willed it too. He worked for it with his anger and his jealousy, and he worked for it with his love. For he gave me so much love, and I gave him so much love that soon there wasn't anything left, when we'd finished, but You.
It's as though the pull toward faith were inevitable, if incomprehensible--perhaps as punishment for her sin of adultery. In her final years, Sarah's faith only deepens, even as she remains haunted by the bombing and the power of her own attraction to God. Set against the backdrop of a war-ravaged city, The End of the Affair is equally haunting as it lays forth the question of what constitutes love in troubling, unequivocal terms. --Melanie Rehak

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

Maurice Bendrix is a sardonic and cynical writer who reflects on his affair with Sarah, a married woman, during the bombing of London in 1940.

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible