The Informers by Bret Easton Ellis

The Informers (1994)

by Bret Easton Ellis (Author)

English (16)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
wanted to love this but was awfully boring and confusing. skipped pages of boring run on sentences. the horrific portion was OK but not worth the wait. I loved lunar park; American psycho and glamorama. but this....is a whole other world of weird and boring. I missed the point of it? no story line...no plot... just self Absorbed strangely fake LA people. then two random vampires appear briefly and then disappear. no characters evolved or stick out as memorable.. and then the "book" just stops so abruptly without any resolution. spent the enter time trying to figure out who the freaking narrative was...almost gave up! I think Ellis enjoyed torturing his fans with this crap!! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
This is a scathing diatribe about soulless people in LA. Parents who cannot communicate with their children, children who can’t get what they want, vampires who crave even more blood and cars that everyone is worried will break down on the way to a must-not-be-missed concert. Told in first person from the perspective of the many who sound the same, Ellis is descriptive and unrelentingly bleak. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book didn't turn out to be as great as I expected. While I found it a fairly entertaining read, mostly due to the setting and the characters and their crazy lifestyles, it didn't do that much for me story-wise. The fact that I didn't read it straight through didn't help. The book consists of loosely interconnected stories, and I kept getting the characters confused whenever I started on a new one. Still, this is my first Bret Easton Ellis novel, and I'd still like to try some of his other works. ( )
  thioviolight | Oct 29, 2014 |
Collection of short stories set in LA in the early-mid 80s, using many of the same characters. Basically an inferior riff on the themes of Less Than Zero - the characters are drugged and bored out of any emotional connection with the world, which makes the book tough to engage with at first, until the later stories show what that state of affairs leads to and some outlandish horror occurs almost unnoticed. Decent enough by the end, but basically the same ground he covered in a far more impressive novel a decade earlier. ( )
  roblong | Sep 6, 2012 |
testing.
2 vote ThrivingKings | Mar 8, 2011 |
One night I was sitting in bed in my hotel room
on Bunker Hill, down in the middle of Los Angeles.
It was an important night in my life, because I had
to make a decision about the hotel. Either I paid up
or I got out: that was the note said, the note
the landlady had put under my door. A great
problem, deserving acute attention. I solved it
by turning out the lights and going to bed.

John Fante, 'Ask the dust'
Bruce calls, stoned and sunburned, from Los Angeles and tells that he's sorry.
I go to the other room, swallow some Valium, open up my coffin and take a little nap.

In this seductive and chillingly nihilistic novel, Bret Easton Ellis, the author of American Psycho, returns to Los Angeles, the city whose moral badlands he portrayed unforgettably in Less Than Zero. This time is the early eighties. The characters go to the same schools and eat at the same restaurants. Their voices enfold us as seamlessly as those of DJs heard over a car radio. They have sex with the same boys and girls and buy from the same dealers. In short, they are connected in the only way people can be in that city.

Dirk sees his best friend killed in a desert car wreck, then rifles through his pockets for a last joint before the ambulance comes. Cheryl, a wannabe newscaster, chides her future stepdaughter, “You're tan but you don't look happy.” Jamie is a clubland carnivore with a taste for human blood. As rendered by Ellis, their interactions compose a chilling, fascinating, and outrageous descent into the abyss beneath L.A.'s gorgeous surfaces.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

A collection of stories on the dream factory that is Los Angeles and the nasty people it produces.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,991,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible