The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau

The Prophet of Yonwood

by Jeanne DuPrau

Series: Books of Ember (3)

So, this book is supposed to be a prequel to the first two books, telling the story of what happened before people moved to the underground city of Ember to escape disaster. However, it just tells the story of two kids who confront semi-bad people in a little town in North Carolina. There is only a small effort made to connect it to the previous stories. I enjoyed it because the author writes well, but the story itself was just so-so. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
This is a prequel to DuPrau's City of Ember kids' series, although it stands on its own very nicely, without any need to have read the other books in the series. The story features a girl who, in a country facing the looming threat of a possibly apocalyptic war, comes to a small town to help her aunt prepare her recently deceased great-grandfather's house to sell. She soon learns that something interesting is going on there: a local woman experienced a powerful vision of a devastated future and now lies semi-conscious, muttering cryptic words that most of the town believes hold the key to averting disaster, if only they have enough dedication and faith.

This was published in 2006, and is clearly influenced by the political climate of the time, being very much a commentary on war, religion, and the dangers of blind belief in a way that feels like it should be painfully heavy-handed, but somehow manages to work surprisingly well, anyway. The world-building is very lightly sketched, and aspects of the ending are a little too pat, but overall I was surprised by how much I liked this. ( )
  bragan | Jun 5, 2014 |
I finally read it and because of bad reviews I did not expect to like it. I liked it better than the People of Sparks (book 2 in the series). It was amazing to see how one person's warped sense of what is "right" and "good" can effect an entire town until nothing is really right or good. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
At the beginning I found the authors tone to be a bit annoying since it seemed like she was against any organized religion, but by the end of the book it became clear that that was not the case.

The message that the book gives that you do not know how our when your hopes for life will be fulfilled is important. ( )
  RKoletteL | Aug 22, 2013 |

Jeanne DuPrauprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Baker, Becky AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The universe is not only stranger than we imagine,it is stranger than we imagine. ____J.B.S. Haldane
On a warm July afternoon in the town of Yonwood, North Carolina, a woman named Althea Tower went out to her backyard to fill the bird feeder.

It’s 50 years before the settlement of the city of Ember, and the world is in crisis. War looms on the horizon as 11-year-old Nickie and her aunt travel to the small town of Yonwood, North Carolina. There, one of the town’s respected citizens has had a terrible vision of fire and destruction. Her garbled words are taken as prophetic instruction on how to avoid the coming disaster. If only they can be interpreted correctly. . . .

As the people of Yonwood scramble to make sense of the woman’s mysterious utterances, Nickie explores the oddities she finds around town—her great-grandfather’s peculiar journals and papers, a reclusive neighbor who studies the heavens, a strange boy who is fascinated with snakes—all while keeping an eye out for ways to help the world. Is this vision her chance? Or is it already too late to avoid a devastating war?

In this prequel to the acclaimed The City of Ember and The People of Sparks, Jeanne DuPrau investigates how, in a world that seems out of control, hope and comfort can be found in the strangest of places.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:19 -0400)

While visiting the small town of Yonwood, North Carolina, eleven-year-old Nickie makes some decisions about how to identify both good and evil when she witnesses the townspeople's reactions to the apocalyptic visions of one of their neighbors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible