Frogs & French Kisses by Sarah Mlynowski

Frogs & French Kisses

by Sarah Mlynowski

Frogs and French kisses is the second book in the Magic In Manhattan Series, which starts off where the 1st book (Bras and Broomsticks) ended. I really enjoyed reading the 1st book in the series and i didn't have any doubts about the sequel living up to my expectations. It was funnier and crazier then the 1st book! I LOVED it!

After the mess that Rachel caused in the end of Bras and Broomsticks, all that she wants is to hide under her covers and never come out. All the A-List people are furious on the trouble that she caused, especially London, who broke her leg because of Rachel's clumsiness. Now London is making sure to give Rachel hell by taunting her. No one wants anything to do with Rachel except her best friend Tammy but Tammy gets sick and so Rachel is on her own at school.

Her little sister Miri decides to give Rachel a boost of confidence by making her another love spell for Raf, her ex-boyfriend and long time crush who she accidentally stood up at Spring Fling, to attend her Dad and Step Mother's wedding. Of course it wasn't her fault that both things were happening at once (Or so she keeps telling herself)

While waiting for Raf to confess his love for her, Rachel starts to notice that his older brother Will keeps staring at her which starts to creep her out. Then out of nowhere Will approaches Rachel after school and confesses that he is in love with her which completely shocks Rachel. Miri cast the love spell on the wrong person and now Rachel has more problems to deal with... or does she?

Miri is starting to get the hang of her powers and is doing all she can to master more spells and use her powers to help the world (With the help of Rachel of course) Their mother plays a slightly bigger role in this book although we don't get to read about her much. Rachel suggest that she starts dating again which leads to another problem. She turns into a full blown magicaholic and Rachel and Miri seem to be on their own with their mishaps of magic and life.

I laughed out loud so many times while reading this book! I absolutely love Rachel! She is so crazy, comical and likable! I can't wait to read the next two books in this series! Might i add that the way this book ended really made me laugh? Sarah Mylnowski is definitely an author to look out for! Check out the Magic in Manhattan books! :) ( )
  Euphoria13 | Aug 12, 2010 |
Fun book to read about teenage witches learning how to use their powers. ( )
  awriter7777 | Jun 4, 2010 |
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

After I had finished reading the first book in this series, BRAS & BROOMSTICKS, I was sure that it couldn't get much better. Fortunately for me and everyone else reading the books, it does indeed get even better! FROGS & FRENCH KISSES is the continuation of the story of two sisters, Miri and Rachel, one who is a witch and one who isn't. Since the one with the powers is the younger sister, it makes for a fine story of sibling love, rivalry, and flying tricycles.

When BRAS & BROOMSTICKS ended, Rachel was upset over blowing her chance with the love of her life, Raf. After standing him up to instead attend her father's wedding, she's ready for Miri to try another love spell. The spell works, but as is the case with most of Miri's spells, has a few unexpected side-effects. It turns out that the glove that was used to make Raf fall in love with Rachel didn't actually belong to Raf, but his older rother, Will. Rachel now has the adoring, lovable, great-kissing boyfriend she's always wanted--except he just happens to be the wrong brother. Rachel vows to turn Will free from the spell as soon as Prom is over. After all, she deserves to attend one school dance with a guy who professes his undying love towards her.

Before she can get to Prom, though, Rachel has other things to worry about. Like that fact that Miri is trying to save everyone and everything on Earth, including whales, the homeless, orphans in Africa, and cows intended for the slaughterhouse. It wouldn't have been so bad, except that the cows she tries to rescue end up in the high-school gymnasium--the same place where the Prom was to be held. If you add in their mother's sudden addiction to magic, they've got quite a problem on their hands. Their mother, formally a non-practicing witch, has decided to jump back into the dating pool. Unfortunately, she's went a little overboard on how to do that, magically gaining a new wardrobe, highlighted roots, glamorous nails, and too many suitors to count.

As Rachel tries to think up a way to save the Prom (which somehow turns out to involve a flat-screen television that will only play The Sound of Music and a Corvette that switches colors with a tricycle), Miri and Rachel both realize that messing with magic is serious business. Can the Prom be saved? More importantly, can their mother be saved before she totally goes off the magical deep end? Can Miri learn that using magic for good is one thing, but that trying to save the world single-handedly is another? Will Rachel figure out what she needs to do about Will, and about Raf?

FROGS & FRENCH KISSES is the perfect follow-up to BRAS & BROOMSTICKS, and I can't wait for the next book in the series. It's great to watch Rachel and Miri interact and learn that using magic has serious consequences. The dialogue is funny, the characters all well-rounded and true-to-life, and the situations these sisters find themselves in are hilarious. A great read! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
Ihan hyvä. En pitänyt lopusta. ( )
  Minga10 | Apr 16, 2009 |
I recommend this book to people that love funny, adventerous and on going books. This book was different because on some books you know what will happen next, but in this book you never see it coming. This book is very interesting and really encouraging.
By: Jazlyn ( )
  okmliteracy8 | Feb 3, 2009 |
For Laura Dail, my awesome agent. Because she loves Rachel as much as I do.
I'm perched on a floating broom, my arms squeezing the life out of my little sister's waist.

Rachel has finally come to terms with the outrageously unfair fact that her younger sister, Miri, has inherited magical powers from their mom. But now the whole witchcraft thing is spiraling out of control. Mom is a magicaholic, Miri’s on a Save the World kick, and the one teeny tiny love spell that Rachel begged for has gone embarrassingly, horribly wrong.

Suddenly, the fate of everything is in Rachel’s hands.

Her family.

The world.

Senior prom.
My sister Miri is a witch. From now on I travel in style. Sweaty overcrowded subways? Never again. Running late for school? I don't think so. The only road I'm taking is Highway Broom!

Miri is busy zapping up ways to save the world. Rachel has a better idea. But the luscious love spell that she FINALLY persuades Miri to cast doesn't have quite the intended effect. Now Raf, Rachel's one true love, hates her, and the prom is about to be cancelled because of a herd of cows! She would ask her mother for advice, but she's turned into a Crazy Dating Mom and is a little spellbound herself!

Rachel may not have powers of her own, but it's up to her to put a stop to their muddled magic before it's too late...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573185X, Paperback)

Suddenly, the fate of everything is in Rachel’s hands.

Her family.

The world.

Senior prom.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:20 -0400)

Love spells run amok in New York City when high school freshman Rachel asks her younger sister, who is a witch, for magical help in winning the affection of heartthrob Raf Kosravi.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,339,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible