A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

A Girl Named Zippy (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Haven Kimmel

Member:lowie35
Title:A Girl Named Zippy
Authors:Haven Kimmel
Info:Broadway (2002), Paperback, 275 pages
Collections:Favorites
Tags:read 2012, memoir, Indiana, small town, humor, childhood, family

A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana by Haven Kimmel (2001)

A fabulous memoir filled with humour, great story-telling, gentleness and an insight into small-time life. Just loved it.

Back Cover Blurb:
When Haven Kimmel was born in 1965, Mooreland, Indiana was a sleepy little hamlet of three hundred people. Nicknamed 'Zippy' for the way she would bolt around the house, this small girl was possessed of big eyes and even bigger ears. In this witty and lovingly told memoir, Kimmel takes readers back to a time where small-time America was caught in the amber of the innocent postwar period - people helped their neighbours, went to church on Sunday, and kept barnyard animals in their backyards.
Laced with fine story-telling, sharp wit, dead-on observations and moments of sheer joy, Haven Kimmel's straight-shooting portrait of her childhood gives us a heroine who is wonderfully sweet and sly as she navigates the quirky adult world that surrounds Zippy. ( )
  mazda502001 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Somehow I had gotten the impression that there was child abuse or at least neglect in this, but today my Mother saw a copy I was getting ready to put at my OBCZ and told me to read it first. ?So, on the stack it goes!

---------------
And done. ?áWell, hm. ?áHer parents and (much) older siblings were far from perfect. ?áBut she also clearly loved them. ?áI guess we're just supposed to trust that the slightly disturbing incidents were just that, incidents, and that the vast majority of her childhood, for which there was no room in the book, was just fine.

What I found interesting is that I too grew up in a very small town in the Midwest, just two years before Kimmel, and we have very few memories in common. ?áAt one point though she did mention an ugly" plaid, black and gray and pink. ?áWell, I had a hair bow in that plaid and I treasured it for years as so pretty.

But goodness do most of the teachers get described with contempt. ?áHer kindergarten report read: "'Is disruptive in class. ?áColors outside the lines. ?áTalks out of turn.' ?áWhen I showed it to my parents, they read it out loud to me, and my mom said, 'Good for you, sweetheart.' ?áAnd my dad gave me a little pat on the back."

So, anyway, if you like memoirs of ordinary people, if you like Garrison Keillor type stuff, or that library cat Dewey kind of stuff, or a nicer version of Sedaris even, maybe, yes, I do recommend this. ?áIt's not long; you can make time for it.

Oh, one more thing. ?áI'm not sure why the subtitle is 'growing up small....' ?áZippy was a tall, coltish girl." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Cute, charming and funny.  The main character is like the human equivalent of Louise from the Bob's Burgers cartoon. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
Misogynistic. I didn't expect a small midwestern town to have racial or any other kind of diversity issues, but patriarchy rules supreme and infiltrates into the mind of the young. Every woman (+12) is described in negative terms (ex. 'addle-headed', 'crazy", "unintelligent", manipulative, vain, incompetent, couch potato, hypocrite). Girls, undifferentiated females, fare better, but men with their practical jokes, honest religious beliefs, competence and sense of adventure are the true heroes of this memoir. I kept thinking it would get better, but after page 176 I gave up. ( )
  nabeelar | May 28, 2016 |
Haven Kimmel, born in 1965, grew up in Mooreland, Indiana, population 300. Born funny looking, not talking until she was nearly three, she was constantly zipping around the house, thus her nickname, Zippy. She takes us back not just to a different time, but a place not many have grown up in; a very small town, or as Canadians would call it, a village. Growing up a Jarvis, she was not only precocious, but the daughter of a man who was a real character. This is a memoir, so naturally some parts are embellished, but with humour and insightful observations in a way that helps paint a clear picture through the eyes of the child she was at that time rather than including a great deal of re-interpreting from her adult perspective.

This memoir, Kimmel’s debut book, was a New York Times bestseller, and I can see why. I can’t say that I loved everything about her story telling to the point of giving it five stars, but I do have to say that, unlike most memoirs, I really enjoyed it. There was honesty behind it, and while I hardly expect someone to remember their early childhood the way a camera might have recorded it—even adults aren’t capable of that—having grown up in a community so small that everyone knew what I’d done whether I’d actually done it or not, I could relate to that part of it. And her relationship with her friend, Julie, reminded me of that of my dad and his best friend when he grew up in a small town on the Canadian prairies, where one does all the talking for the both of them. I am planning on reading her other memoir. ( )
  Karin7 | Apr 21, 2016 |
So is there no fact, no event, in our private history,, which shall not, sooner or later, lose its adhesive, inert form, and astonish us by souring from our body into the empyrean? Cradle and infancy, school and playground, the fear of boys, and dogs, and ferules, the love of little maids and verries, and many another facts that once filled the whole sky, are gone already; friend and relative, profession and party, town and country, nation and world, must also soar and sing. --Ralph Waldo Emerson, The American Soldier
For my mother and my sister
For absent friends
If you look at an atlas of the United States, one published around, say, 1940, there is, in the state of Indiana, north of New Castle and east of the Epileptic Village, a small town called Mooreland.

When Haven Kimmel was born in 1965, Mooreland, Indiana, was a sleepy little hamlet of three hundred people. Nicknamed "Zippy" for the way she would bolt around the house, this small girl was possessed of big eyes and even bigger ears. In this witty and lovingly told memoir, Kimmel takes readers back to a time when small-town America was caught in the amber of the innocent postwar period–people helped their neighbors, went to church on Sunday, and kept barnyard animals in their backyards.

Laced with fine storytelling, sharp wit, dead-on observations, and moments of sheer joy, Haven Kimmel's straight-shooting portrait of her childhood gives us a heroine who is wonderfully sweet and sly as she navigates the quirky adult world that surrounds Zippy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

The author offers a chronicle of growing up in a small town in America's heartland, offering portraits of her family and her encounters with the complexities of the adult world, romance, and small-town life during the 1960s and 1970s.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,359,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible