A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

A Girl Named Zippy (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Haven Kimmel

Title:A Girl Named Zippy
Authors:Haven Kimmel
Info:Broadway (2002), Paperback, 275 pages
Tags:read 2012, memoir, Indiana, small town, humor, childhood, family

A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana by Haven Kimmel (2001)

Ugh. I read this for a book club, otherwise I would have stopped after the first chapter. This is a supposedly humorous memoir of a girl's childhood in rural Indiana. I found the writing style off putting and trying so hard to be funny that it just really really annoyed me instead. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
The Girl Named Zippy by Haven KImmel is about a baby, who goes by Zippy, who was diagnosed with a staph infection by the doctors and there is no cure. The doctors told the parents she didn't have much time to live. One night her mother was holding her daughter in her arms while Zippy’s staph infection opened up and she was barely breathing. She thought that her baby daughter was not going to live at that moment. But a miracle happened, the doctors found a diagnosis to help Zippy. Now she is a very strong girl that is growing up just like any other kid. Even though she has to wear wigs and is very tiny she still can do things like every other person at her age. But that is why I absolutely love this book because it shows miracles do happen. You just have to keep thinking positive. So I would recommend this book to people who like reading about miracles.
  Stefany.Larsen | Mar 24, 2015 |
I've been meaning to read this autobiography for several years, as the reviews have always been good. It happened to fall in my lap and I decided it was a sign. I didn't know what I had been missing. It was a great read. I laughed and I sympathized. It's basically the story of a little girl who doesn't fit in anywhere. She's curious, she's adventurous and she certainly doesn't conform. Her parents are a hoot, and I can empathize with her mother, who lets the housework go and reads science fiction. She actually tells her young daughter that she was purchased from the wild gypsies, confiriming Zippy's exact thoughts. Don't wait like I did. Read it very soon. ( )
  dreplogle | Dec 18, 2014 |
I only have vague recollections of this book, but they are that I wanted to like it more and just couldn't. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
A heartwarming look into the life of a small girl in Indiana in the sixties and early seventies. Does that make you think dolls, starched dresses, bike riding and cornfields? Well, Zippy had a bike but a middle-class well-adjusted little girl she was not. A town troublemaker, left largely to her own devices by a depressed mother, her upbringing is unusual, but her retelling of her story is funny, wry, occasionally warm, and completely memorable. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 3, 2014 |
So is there no fact, no event, in our private history,, which shall not, sooner or later, lose its adhesive, inert form, and astonish us by souring from our body into the empyrean? Cradle and infancy, school and playground, the fear of boys, and dogs, and ferules, the love of little maids and verries, and many another facts that once filled the whole sky, are gone already; friend and relative, profession and party, town and country, nation and world, must also soar and sing. --Ralph Waldo Emerson, The American Soldier
For my mother and my sister
For absent friends
If you look at an atlas of the United States, one published around, say, 1940, there is, in the state of Indiana, north of New Castle and east of the Epileptic Village, a small town called Mooreland.

When Haven Kimmel was born in 1965, Mooreland, Indiana, was a sleepy little hamlet of three hundred people. Nicknamed "Zippy" for the way she would bolt around the house, this small girl was possessed of big eyes and even bigger ears. In this witty and lovingly told memoir, Kimmel takes readers back to a time when small-town America was caught in the amber of the innocent postwar period–people helped their neighbors, went to church on Sunday, and kept barnyard animals in their backyards.

Laced with fine storytelling, sharp wit, dead-on observations, and moments of sheer joy, Haven Kimmel's straight-shooting portrait of her childhood gives us a heroine who is wonderfully sweet and sly as she navigates the quirky adult world that surrounds Zippy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

The author offers a chronicle of growing up in a small town in America's heartland, offering portraits of her family and her encounters with the complexities of the adult world, romance, and small-town life during the 1960s and 1970s.

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,789,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible