The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett

The Wright 3 (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Blue Balliett, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Title:The Wright 3
Authors:Blue Balliett
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2006.
Tags:children's, fiction

The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (2006)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
Calder, Petra, and Tommy are trying to save a famous house, built by Frank Lloyd Wright, from demolition. Mysteries about the house abound: Is the house moving? Is it speaking to them? What is the shadow in the upper window? Yet the biggest challenge to solving these mysteries lies amongst the three kids themselves: Petra and Tommy must find a way to get along. They will only have all the pieces to the puzzle if they can work as a team. I really liked this book, especially the ending. It was suspenseful and gripping! I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Blue Balliett's writing. ( )
  ejstev0202 | Oct 11, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about landmarks and students answering their own questions. It would be good for students who are interested in architecture and mysteries. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 4, 2015 |
I have to say, in this series the level of pseudoscience and happenstance that leads to their more brilliant conclusions always irks me, but the story is still interesting and I learn from the characters about art. I think the portrayal of Miss Hussey is a bit flighty, but the curriculum is interesting. I like the notion behind the whole student-centered classroom, but I also see pitfalls in that Miss Hussey seems to use it as a chance to get on a soapbox about her issues and drag the kids into it whether they are on her side or not. I get so tired of the pentominoes that Calder is always trying to divine clues out of. Maybe I'm just a hard science guy, but the whole premise of his contribution seems absurd. Good mysteries, poorly solved. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
set in Hyde Park
  FKarr | Apr 6, 2013 |
Very good but I hate to say it, the book was a little over my head. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
"Fool that I am!"
said the Invisible Man,
striking the table smartly.
"I've put the idea into your head."

--H.G. Wells, The Invisible Man
For my mother, Betsy, who understands both carp and dragons B.B.
For my mother, Colleen B.H.
On the morning of June 3, the mason climbed carefully to the highest level of the roof.

From the New York Times-bestselling team behind Chasing Vermeer comes another thought-provoking art mystery featuring Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie house--now in After Words paperback!

Spring semester at the Lab School in Hyde Park finds Petra and Calder drawn into another mystery when unexplainable accidents and ghostly happenings throw a spotlight on Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, and it's up to the two junior sleuths to piece together the clues. Stir in the return of Calder's friend Tommy (which creates a tense triangle), H.G. Wells's The Invisible Man, 3-D pentominoes, and the hunt for a coded message left behind by Wright, and the kids become tangled in a dangerous web in which life and art intermingle with death, deception, and surprise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:21 -0400)

In the midst of a series of unexplained accidents and mysterious coincidences, sixth-graders Calder, Petra, and Tommy lead their classmates in an attempt to keep Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Robie House from being demolished.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible