The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett

The Wright 3 (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Blue Balliett, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:avatiakh
Title:The Wright 3
Authors:Blue Balliett
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2006.
Tags:children's, fiction

The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett (2006)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
I have to say, in this series the level of pseudoscience and happenstance that leads to their more brilliant conclusions always irks me, but the story is still interesting and I learn from the characters about art. I think the portrayal of Miss Hussey is a bit flighty, but the curriculum is interesting. I like the notion behind the whole student-centered classroom, but I also see pitfalls in that Miss Hussey seems to use it as a chance to get on a soapbox about her issues and drag the kids into it whether they are on her side or not. I get so tired of the pentominoes that Calder is always trying to divine clues out of. Maybe I'm just a hard science guy, but the whole premise of his contribution seems absurd. Good mysteries, poorly solved. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
set in Hyde Park
  FKarr | Apr 6, 2013 |
Very good but I hate to say it, the book was a little over my head. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Calder's class is learning about the Frank Lloyd Wright Robie house because it is set to be torn down. As he and his two friends (Petra and Tommy who do not really get along) try to find a way to save the house, they must learn to work together to keep the house together!

Not as intriguing as Chasing Vermeer, but a good mystery. And I'm a sucker for anything set in/around Chicago. ( )
  agrudzien | Mar 11, 2013 |
Review by: Carina S

The book "The Wright Three" by Blue Balliett and illustrated by Brett Helquist is one of the best books I have ever read. It is the second book in the series after "Chasing Vermeer." "The Wright Three" is about three kids who are trying to save a major piece of history of their city which is the Robbie House. Many coincidences occur that are all very related. This book is very suspenseful and keeps you on the edge of your seat. In the last book Calder and Petra (two of the kids) had helped solve another mystery. Now Calder's old friend has moved back and is trying to help them solve. However, Calder cannot get his two friends to get along. While they are investigating they do very daring things and risk their lives for each other. Have you have ever heard the expression, "make the reader think or act?" Blue Balliett was certainly successful at that! While I was reading I would have to run to a different place in the house because it was so creepy I would want to be in a brighter spot to read. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone, kids and adults. It is such a wonderful, page turning mystery! ( )
  bplteen | Apr 27, 2012 |
"Fool that I am!"
said the Invisible Man,
striking the table smartly.
"I've put the idea into your head."

--H.G. Wells, The Invisible Man
For my mother, Betsy, who understands both carp and dragons B.B.
For my mother, Colleen B.H.
On the morning of June 3, the mason climbed carefully to the highest level of the roof.

From the New York Times-bestselling team behind Chasing Vermeer comes another thought-provoking art mystery featuring Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie house--now in After Words paperback!

Spring semester at the Lab School in Hyde Park finds Petra and Calder drawn into another mystery when unexplainable accidents and ghostly happenings throw a spotlight on Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, and it's up to the two junior sleuths to piece together the clues. Stir in the return of Calder's friend Tommy (which creates a tense triangle), H.G. Wells's The Invisible Man, 3-D pentominoes, and the hunt for a coded message left behind by Wright, and the kids become tangled in a dangerous web in which life and art intermingle with death, deception, and surprise.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:33 -0400)

In the midst of a series of unexplained accidents and mysterious coincidences, sixth-graders Calder, Petra, and Tommy lead their classmates in an attempt to keep Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Robie House from being demolished.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible