The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious…

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most… (2009)

by David Lebovitz

Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik (rakerman)
    rakerman: The Sweet Life and Paris to the Moon are similar perspectives on living in Paris. Sweet Life is a light, humourous take on the challenges of moving a new city, as seen mostly through food and food-related activities. It has a bit more of a travel-guide tone. Paris to the Moon tries to explore more in detail the peculiarities of Paris from an outsider's viewpoint, with wry commentary. It also has a bit of a wistful tone as many of the tales are of the author's son exploring the city. Both are very good starting points to understanding the French, giving the positives but also the many difficulties of adapting from American to Parisian culture.… (more)
    Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (cransell)

I have never been to Paris but when I get there I want to have this book with me. In telling us about his adventures living in Paris Lebovitz has written the perfect insider’s guide. He covers all the things you need to know to live in (or visit) Paris like a pro. I loved the short funny informative chapters each imparting a little bit of hard won wisdom - how to wait in line, how to dress like a Parisian, the most important words to use when shopping...Each chapter ends with recipes that will satisfy both French and American sensibilities.
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I'm planning a trip to Paris this year and wanted to read a memoir from an American living there now. Mr. Lebovitz certainly finds the humor in day-to-day events. Apparently the coffee in Paris is like liquified mud, and Parisians are pushy, refuse to wait in line, and routinely walk into people. I haven't figured out yet why Mr. Lebovitz continues to live there. Wish he would spend more time on the beauty and romance of the city. After reading this book, I can't say I'm looking forward to my trip. ( )
  meacoleman | Feb 16, 2015 |
Just finished [The Sweet Life in Paris] and I really enjoyed it! [[David Lebovitz]] was 12 years as the pastry chef in Alice Water's Chez Panisse in San Franscisco (oh man, would I ever love to go there!!) and knows a thing or two about sweets and desserts. He has now lived in Paris for years and wrote this book with some hot tips for American travellers (especially what NOT to do!!) and some great personal stories about his exploring there. Of course his food stories are very appetite making and to top it all off he gives amazing and drool worthy recipes. What a fun book! His chapter on strikes in Paris gives the recipe for mixed nuts! ( )
  mdoris | Jan 30, 2015 |
Subtitles: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious - and Perplexing - City ( )
  Elishibai | Dec 23, 2014 |
Definitely one of my favorite expat-in-Paris books! The observations were so good, and so EDUCATIONAL. If you are going to Paris you should read this book so you know how to behave properly in the shops and such. I always consider myself fairly in tune to these things, as I speak French and lived there (okay, not in Paris, but still - France) for 6 months, but boy did I learn a lot from this book!

Also: I am seriously craving some brownies right now. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
I distinctly remember the exact moment when I became Parisian.

Like so many others, David Lebovitz dreamed about living in Paris ever since he first visited the city in the 1980s. Finally, after a nearly two-decade career as a pastry chef and cookbook author, he moved to Paris to start a new life. Having crammed all his worldly belongings into three suitcases, he arrived, hopes high, at his new apartment in the lively Bastille neighborhood.

But he soon discovered it's a different world en France.

From learning the ironclad rules of social conduct to the mysteries of men's footwear, from shopkeepers who work so hard not to sell you anything to the etiquette of working the right way around the cheese plate, here is David's story of how he came to fall in love with—and even understand—this glorious, yet sometimes maddening, city.

When did he realize he had morphed into un vrai parisien? It might have been when he found himself considering a purchase of men's dress socks with cartoon characters on them. Or perhaps the time he went to a bank with 135 euros in hand to make a 134-euro payment, was told the bank had no change that day, and thought it was completely normal. Or when he found himself dressing up to take out the garbage because he had come to accept that in Paris appearances and image mean everything.

The more than fifty original recipes, for dishes both savory and sweet, such as Pork Loin with Brown Sugar–Bourbon Glaze, Braised Turkey in Beaujolais Nouveau with Prunes, Bacon and Bleu Cheese Cake, Chocolate-Coconut Marshmallows, Chocolate Spice Bread, Lemon-Glazed Madeleines, and Mocha–Crème Fraîche Cake, will have readers running to the kitchen once they stop laughing.

The Sweet Life in Paris is a deliciously funny, offbeat, and irreverent look at the city of lights, cheese, chocolate, and other confections.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:03 -0400)

David Lebovitz chronicles his life in Parisfrom the delicious to the ridiculous.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,424,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible