The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious…

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most… (2009)

by David Lebovitz

Recently added byDReicht, private library, GwynethM, gspatel, betscw, Muzzorola, nicole_a_davis
    Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik (rakerman)
    rakerman: The Sweet Life and Paris to the Moon are similar perspectives on living in Paris. Sweet Life is a light, humourous take on the challenges of moving a new city, as seen mostly through food and food-related activities. It has a bit more of a travel-guide tone. Paris to the Moon tries to explore more in detail the peculiarities of Paris from an outsider's viewpoint, with wry commentary. It also has a bit of a wistful tone as many of the tales are of the author's son exploring the city. Both are very good starting points to understanding the French, giving the positives but also the many difficulties of adapting from American to Parisian culture.… (more)
    Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (cransell)

Definitely one of my favorite expat-in-Paris books! The observations were so good, and so EDUCATIONAL. If you are going to Paris you should read this book so you know how to behave properly in the shops and such. I always consider myself fairly in tune to these things, as I speak French and lived there (okay, not in Paris, but still - France) for 6 months, but boy did I learn a lot from this book!

Also: I am seriously craving some brownies right now. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
Amusing and yet personal portrayal of Paris from an American chef who lives there. Each chapter has a topic and some related (or not) recipes that sound delicious, plus good advice for anyone going to Paris to visit or live. The style of the chapters becomes somewhat repetitive - each creates a motif and then has a punch line related to the motif at the end - but otherwise definitely worth reading. Reminded me of Peter Mayle, only with better food. ( )
  lisahistory | May 28, 2014 |
David Lebowitz is a pastry chef (trained at Chez Panisse in California) who cooks, writes and blogs in Paris. He's one of my husband's favorite food bloggers and has been reading his web postings for about ten years. This book about his life in Paris is a delight. is essays on the bureaucratic nightmare of the French national and Paris municipal governments made me laugh out loud and his descriptions of the wonderful food markets, boulangeries and fromageries mAde me want to hope onto a plane and make the flight over the pond to my favorite city.

He also includes his own pastry recipes that sound wonderful, if a bit involved. Plus there are a couple of useful appendices listing shops, restaurants and web sites. These are perfect for planning a trip or finding ingredients and cooking equipment for adventures in your own kitchen. If a trip to Paris isn't in your immediate future, this book is a good armchair substitute. ( )
  etxgardener | Apr 26, 2014 |
A memoir made for Francophiles and foodies, David Lebovitz marries his love of croissants and pain au chocolat with a long-term jaunt in the City of Lights. Recipes included. ( )
  Mad.River.Librarian | Apr 23, 2014 |
I read this as part of my renewed obsession with everything Paris, and because I love Lebovitz's blog. It was a quick and enjoyable read with lots of humorous anecdotes about life in the City of Light that sometimes had me laughing out loud. Less of a love letter and more of a therapeutic assessment of your love's good and bad qualities. The included recipes are mouth-watering, of course. ( )
  booklovercook | Feb 20, 2014 |
I distinctly remember the exact moment when I became Parisian.

Like so many others, David Lebovitz dreamed about living in Paris ever since he first visited the city in the 1980s. Finally, after a nearly two-decade career as a pastry chef and cookbook author, he moved to Paris to start a new life. Having crammed all his worldly belongings into three suitcases, he arrived, hopes high, at his new apartment in the lively Bastille neighborhood.

But he soon discovered it's a different world en France.

From learning the ironclad rules of social conduct to the mysteries of men's footwear, from shopkeepers who work so hard not to sell you anything to the etiquette of working the right way around the cheese plate, here is David's story of how he came to fall in love with—and even understand—this glorious, yet sometimes maddening, city.

When did he realize he had morphed into un vrai parisien? It might have been when he found himself considering a purchase of men's dress socks with cartoon characters on them. Or perhaps the time he went to a bank with 135 euros in hand to make a 134-euro payment, was told the bank had no change that day, and thought it was completely normal. Or when he found himself dressing up to take out the garbage because he had come to accept that in Paris appearances and image mean everything.

The more than fifty original recipes, for dishes both savory and sweet, such as Pork Loin with Brown Sugar–Bourbon Glaze, Braised Turkey in Beaujolais Nouveau with Prunes, Bacon and Bleu Cheese Cake, Chocolate-Coconut Marshmallows, Chocolate Spice Bread, Lemon-Glazed Madeleines, and Mocha–Crème Fraîche Cake, will have readers running to the kitchen once they stop laughing.

The Sweet Life in Paris is a deliciously funny, offbeat, and irreverent look at the city of lights, cheese, chocolate, and other confections.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:42 -0400)

David Lebovitz chronicles his life in Parisfrom the delicious to the ridiculous.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,914,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible