Visits from the Afterlife by Sylvia Browne

Visits from the Afterlife

by Sylvia Browne

Synopsis: Sylvia Browne uses her psychic ability to explore what she calls "The Other Side." She believes that when people die their spirt has three choices: 1. to follow the light to the other side and find peace and happiness, 2. follow the dark entity through the Left Door and be returned to another life to try to get things right, 3. to do nothing and stay in between as a ghost until it decides to follow a light. She says the difference between a ghost and spirit is that a ghost is "stuck" and confused, seeking some kind of closure. While, a spirit has already made the decision to follow the light to The Other Side and is at peace. A spirit can make itself known through scents and objects that remind a person of the spirit. Ghost can be visions and other mysterious happenings.

Browne has had the ability to see and talk to ghosts and spirits since she was a young girl. She is asked to visit many places to find out more information on the hauntings and share her expertise. She mentions some famous celebrities (Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Jimi Hendrix) and famous hauntings (The Black Dahlia, Bela Lgosi's house) that she has visited. She also included reader's stories about experiences that they have had with the supernatural.

I enjoy Browne and her co-writer Lindsay Harrison's writing style. They keep the book interesting and do not make it feel too "preachy," like I have heard some of her other books can be. I find the topic of after life and supernatural phenomena interesting anyway, but Browne gives a convincing account of her ability.

An interesting note to readers: according to Browne, on the Other Side there is The Hall of Records "where our charts are meticulously housed and where every word of written history is preserved." As a spirit, you can find long written scrolls and read the great works! ( )
  jayde1599 | Jul 13, 2009 |
I do love a story about hauntings and Im a big fan of Sylvia as a psychic. I have read a few of her books now and this one was my favorite. Who doesnt wanna read about famous ghosts like Bella Lugosi and Elizabeth Short right? This particular book I've read more than once and I can never seem to put it down. My only problem with it is the repitition and not of the stories themselves, but her talking about the fact that she's sorry for repeating it. All in all a great book and anyone that believes in ghosts or is fascinated by them should read this. ( )
  edenkal | May 30, 2009 |
Okay, okay, okay. So I picked up another Sylvia Browne book, even though the last one made me feel like she was whacking my head with a rolled-up newspaper like a disobedient puppy. ("You are DIVINE!!! God LOVES YOU!!!")

I think I didn't like the other one because I felt like she was preaching. This book, however, was about the stuff that I like hearing her talk about: visits from the afterlife. (*ghostly sounding 'whoooo!! whoooo!'*) It was a thousand times more interesting. I mean, who doesn't want to find out what REALLY happened to Jimi Hendrix...directly from his spirit?

She explains the difference between kinds of hauntings: spirits (dead who have been to the Other Side, are at peace, and pop back in to see what's going on every now and then), ghosts (dead who don't know they're dead, those who haven't been to the Other Side), and so forth. She talks about some famous cases that she participated in, as well as answering reader questions. I have to admit, I really like the way she writes. It's very readable and she's kind of a crotchety old bitty...I get a kick out of her.

My favorite part in the whole book was when she described the Hall of Records on the Other Side. It sounded like a Greek Basilica, in which scrolls are kept. On these scrolls are all of our pasts and futures. Pick one up and not only can you read about an event, you'll be transported there to experience it.

I just knew that there was a really big library in heaven.

I wonder what sort of cataloging system they use. I hope it's not SuDoc. ( )
1 vote anterastilis | Feb 24, 2009 |
Personal account of encounters with the spirits of the deceased, and other kinds of spirits. Includes information on similar beliefs in other cultures and religions. ( )
  drj | Jul 12, 2008 |
Thousands of people, many of them currently on earth, contributed to this book.

In Visits from the Afterlife, Browne journeys even deeper into The Other Side, detailing stirring true encounters, describing visitations with ghosts, in-transition spirits, and other troubled souls seeking peace and closure. She travels to locations as diverse as haunted homes and ships possessed by otherworldly forces. Through these spiritual visits, she explains the reasons behind many of the world's most bizarre and mysterious hauntings, and she shares her own personal, face-to-face experiences with these inexplicable phenomena. From surprising revelations about the spirit world to moving reunions with those who have moved on, Visits from the Afterlife once again illustrates spirits' profound and eternal influence on our earthly lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

The author shares true stories about encounters with ghosts and troubled souls, recounting her travels to haunted houses and ships where she had firsthand experiences with spirits in search of peace and closure.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,557,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible