Enligt Maria Magdalena by Marianne…

Enligt Maria Magdalena (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Marianne Fredriksson

Member:Aspero
Title:Enligt Maria Magdalena
Authors:Marianne Fredriksson
Info:Stockholm : Wahlström & Widstrand, 1997 ;
Collections:Skönlitteratur, Halmstad
Tags:Hst, Hc

Enligt Maria Magdalena by Marianne Fredriksson (1997)

De belofte aan Rachel : roman by Hubert Lampo (Johanna11)
    Johanna11: Both books are about the world of the bible; how it could have been.

Dutch (3)  English (3)  All languages (6)
According to Mary Magdalene by Marianne Fredriksson; (4 1/2*)

I loved According to Mary Magdalene. I found it so interesting to see it put to the disciples in those days by a woman, (the Magdala) the Words that Jesus said over & over again in order to reproof them of their interpretation of His Words. It has really made me think. He said "Make no law of what I tell thee." and "The Kingdom of God lies within." But the disciples continued to make law of their interpretation of what He had shared with them.
Being one who has spent her life reading the Bible, this book of fiction (but based on what the author found in the bit of the Gospel of Mary Magdalene in the Nag Hammadi library on her conversations with Jesus) makes me want to seek out the Gnostic Gospels and other Gospels not included within the canon of Scripture or what we know of as The Bible.
This was a very interesting fictional or alternative look at the Son of Man, Jesus. Highly recommended to those whose nature appeals to seeking more of The Word. (4 1/2*) ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Jun 17, 2014 |
The author has written her imagined life of Mary Magdalene, following theological research and her discovery in the Nag Hammadi library of the fragment of the gospel of Mary Magdalene. In it she accounts for what Jesus said in personal conversations with her-- among them: 'Make no rules of life on this which I have revealed to you. Write no laws as the law-makers do.' This then formed the basis of Marianne Fredriksson's message and despite being brought up in the Catholic faith, or perhaps because of it I found myself very receptive to her thinking.
The story opens with Mary recognising the apostle Simon Peter who is addressing a crowd of people in the marketplace. She is reminded of her antagonism to this man from her past. She had spent years trying to forget the dreadful events surrounding Jesus' death and her grief. Leonidas, who people believed to be her husband, was due to return home.
He had discovered Mary as a child fleeing the murder of her family by the Roman soldiers. Leonidas takes Mary to the only safe place he knew, a house of pleasure where he asks, Euphrosyne to care for her and he will pay her. A strong bond develops between the three as Mary grows to womanhood.
Leonidas is drawn to young men and provides the father figure Mary needs. As a young woman she discovers the pleasures of the flesh and despite Euphrosyne's reluctance, Mary joins her group of women. She one day meets a young man, Jesus, while out walking in the hills and is immediately drawn to him and his non-judgemental manner.
The story alternates between her past and present, as Mary with Leonidas' encouragement, writes her account of her life and the teachings of Jesus.
It is an interesting tale but the reading suffered as I was distracted by family matters. I thought this would make for light reading at a busy time as aspects of the story were familiar, however I don't think I did this tale justice but it did give me pause for thought. ( )
  HelenBaker | May 4, 2013 |
A fictional story of the life and death of Christ as told by Mary Magdalene, the woman who probably knew him best.

If you're interested in alternative views of Christianity, you'll enjoy this book. And if not, it's a good story nonetheless. ( )
  snozzberry | Dec 31, 2006 |
A correct understanding of Christianity has become almost an impossibility for us owing to the profound secrecy surrounding the early history of the time.

~Simone Weil in The Person and the Sacred
Ze hoorde hem spreken op een plein in Antiochië, hij die Simon heette, maar die Petrus genoemd zou worden.

She heard him speaking in the marketplace in Antioch, the man called Simon, who came to be called Peter.

Long after the death of Christ, Mary Magdalene is married to a silk merchant, Leonidas. She lives a quiet and harmonious life until, one day, the apostle Peter comes to the market square to preach and she slips into the crowd to hear what he has to say. She is not impressed, and wants to forget that Jesus chose death, not life with her. But she has reckoned without the apostles who persuade her to write down everything she can remember. Mary starts with her Jewish childhood and the slaughter of her family by the Romans. Running for her life, she is rescued by Leonidas who leaves her in a 'house of pleasure' where she grows into a beautiful woman. Then she meets and falls deeply in love with a young man from Nazareth - and her life changes...Marianne Fredriksson masterfully breathes new life into the figure of Mary Magdalene in this novel of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, seen through the eyes of the woman who loved him most.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:59 -0400)

Mary Magdalen records her recollection of Jesus with the political and religious conflicts of the time as background.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible