Town Boy by Lat

Town Boy

by Lat

Sequel to Kampung Boy, continues the narrator's life in school in the city and life among his friends. The author/illustrator draws readers into his world with lively comic drawings and easy prose. ( )
  Sassy_Seshat | Apr 30, 2012 |
Lat, otherwise known as Kampung Boy, returns in this second volume of his life story, "Town Boy," detailing the second half of his adolescence in the small town of Ipoh in Malaysia. It's an autobiographical tale and Lat masterfully shares with us his tale of growing up in the 1960's in Malyasia--relating not a tale of someone famous or that has great life changes happen to them, but that of the everyday person. A person that we can all relate to, because we can connect with him. We can see our own friends and classmates in the people that Lat describes and remember our own slightly awkward adolescence. And even though Lat illustrates how things are different in his world, there is much that is similar. And while it's illustrations are seemingly simple, they are compelling and help us know the characters better. I highly recommend this book and it's prequel (Kampung Boy) to anyone and everyone, but particularly to the younger generation. Not as a chance to illustrate the differences between cultures, but a chance to illustrate the similarities between cultures and across generations. ( )
  zzshupinga | Jan 4, 2012 |
4P: Mat moves to "town", Ipoh, Indonesia. He attends middle and high school and makes a posse of friends, including Frankie, who is Chinese. All born in the early 1950's, the boys are listening and dancing to the best of rock and roll from the early days-edgy, raw, forbidden. Mat's friend Walter has records and a phonograph, so they make friends through listening to rock and roll and continue to spend lots of time together.
More fun from the artist, but now darling Mat is a teen. Probably more relevant to YA's, but who could skip the charming "Kampung Boy" and miss getting to know Mat as a little boy in the kampung (village)? After al, many teens have little brothers. ( )
  mdyewhea | Jun 3, 2010 |
A Malaysian classic. ( )
  flexnib | Oct 18, 2009 |

Now a teenager at boarding school, Mat explores the possibilites of town life in Malaysia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible