Fate of the Jedi: Abyss by Troy Denning
Member:geoffgibbs
Title:Fate of the Jedi: Abyss
Authors:Troy Denning
Info:Arena (2009), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:fate of the jedi, sci-fi, star wars

Abyss by Troy Denning

Luke and Ben go on some weird force trip and meet dead people. Seriously.

Some darkside force is manipulating the sith to capture the Skywalkers. More Jedi go crazy and there is more confrontation between the Galactic Alliance and Jedi Order. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I think this was another strong book in this series. I know that there are a lot of people burned out on the Star Wars EU, but since I just started reading them I like what is happening in the world.

Things are progressing in the Jedi storyline, although it does seem slightly slow at the moment. I hope that things eventually pick up. It doesn't even need to pick up that much, just a little more happening in the book would be nice.

Luke and Ben continue their galaxy world tour, this time with a stop in the Maw. I like this storyline the best, perhaps due to my love of Luke Skywalker. Plus it has the added advantage of featuring a kid (well, teenager) that doesn't totally annoy me. Amelia Solo I'm looking at you. I just really hate precocious kids in literature. They are always written as older than their years and have to be wedged into the important plots of the books. And now she's some sort of Jesus-queen who brings everyone together in harmony? ugh. No thanks. Maybe her story will get better?

I liked the continuing storyline of the Lost Sith as well. They are always interesting to read about, and Vestura doesn't get on my nerves. Yet. We'll see how they develop her past this book, it could go downhill fast.

Overall, I still like the way this series is headed. I know a lot of people are burned out with the Extended Universe, and I can see how it might get tedious, but I'm still having a lot of fun reading them. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
Abyss was FANTASTIC. The best part was it lead me to fall in love with Han Solo all over again. The Grandfatherly persona has taken a slight edge off the old man, Every interaction he has with Leia brought a smile to my face, even though my life was quite serious. Also the completely separate storyline of the Sith finally interacts with the Jedi, though from the ending I'm not sure how long that will be.

As usual with Star Wars audio books the "cinematography" was amazing. ( )
  fulner | Feb 22, 2015 |
fun. ( )
  MilesVor | Apr 4, 2014 |
3.5 stars. Pretty much three separate stories going here: 1) Han, Leia, Jaina and the other Jedi back on Coruscant trying to figure out why some of their young knights seem to be going crazy, 2) Luke and Ben Skywalker in the Maw trying to uncover the mystery of how/why Jacen Solo fell to the dark side, and 3) the Lost Tribe of the Sith trying to fulfill their prophecy of becoming the masters of the galaxy again.

If only that third story line was as interesting as the first two, I would have given this book a higher rating. But as it is, and I can only be honest here, I could care less about Vestara and her connection with Ship, and the rampant infighting amongst her people. All her sections were boring, annoying, and didn't become significant until the last few chapters of the book.

Still, I remain optimistic about the rest of this series. After all, I had felt much the same way about Han and Leia's roles in the first book in which they were "parked" and were given absolutely nothing of import to do but waste time with a dumb side story just to keep their presence strong in the series. And yet, they have become purposeful characters now, and perhaps the later books will do the same thing for the Tribe's storyline. Here's to hoping it can only get more interesting and exciting.

On the other hand, following Luke and Ben's exile has been a surprisingly intense experience. Each book seems to have them uncovering more information about Jacen's transformation into Darth Caedus, and is probably the biggest reason why I'm still so invested and interested in continuing this series. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 9, 2013 |
Han Solo is seventy years old, and he’s still scuffling with Mandalorian bounty hunters.

Maybe….read something else?

For my niece Jennifer Jane Denning
The smile behind Allana's
Buried deep inside the Jedi Temple on Coruscant was the Asylum Block, a transparisteel cube standing in its own hidden atrium, bathed in artificial blue light and surrounded by tidy rows of potted olbio trees.

Following a trail of clues across the galaxy, Luke Skywalker continues his quest to find the reasons behind Jacen Solo's dark downfall and to win redemption for the Jedi Order. Meanwhile on Coruscant, Han and Leia Solo, along with their daughter Jaina, join the fight to protect more stricken Knights from arrest while Jedi healers race to find a cure for the rapidly spreading affliction. And deep in the Maw Cluster the Sith is poised to strike against the Skywalkers and the forces of good.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible