Heaven and Hell by John Jakes

Heaven and Hell (1988)

by John Jakes

Recently added byFaytheShattuck, private library, Tricialenht

Dutch (2)  English (2)  All (4)
See my review for North and South. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
It was an okay finish. I would have preferred more of the book to actually take place in the North & South - more Reconstruction than westward expansion and conflict with the Native Americans. It also felt like Jakes lost the whole Hazard/Main thread for most of the novel, and it was just about Charlie. I didn't like that Madeline's story was told via journal - I thought that was too easy, and that Jakes was summarizing her story rather than actually telling it. It did make me realize that maybe I enjoyed the second book more than I thought. ( )
  carebear10712 | Dec 31, 2014 |
The loss of heaven
is the greatest
pain in hell.

Calderon de la Barca
For all my friends at HBJ
Rain fell on Washington through the night.

The mighty conclusion to America's Best-Loved Saga

George Hazard: He will discover that not even the terrors of the Civil War could exact the terrible price he'd pay in a country at peace but still ablaze with hatred...

Medeline Main - she faces the struggle to rebuild her life and her burned-out plantation - without the man she loved

Charles Main -- Escaping his past, he will seek a new beginning in the untamed West - a land desolate, magnificant, and filled with Danger.

The Civil War is over, but the battles of the heart have just begun.

"The Civil War has ended, but the Hazards and Mains have yet to face their greatest struggles. Even as the embers of old hatreds continue to burn in the heart of a nation torn apart by war, a new future in the West awaits a new generation of Americans seeking a life of their own." -- Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible