It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel by Merrill…

It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel (edition 2002)

by Merrill Markoe

159None74,855 (2.89)None
Member:citranella
Title:It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel
Authors:Merrill Markoe
Info:Villard (2002), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel by Merrill Markoe

2003 (2) 2007 (1) birthdays (4) borrowed (1) chick lit (11) comedy (2) dark comedy (1) diary (1) family (1) fiction (30) Finished (1) hardcover (2) humor (13) library (1) Merrill Markoe (2) never again (1) novel (1) pre-9/15/05 (1) read (5) read in 2002 (2) read in 2003 (1) shawna (1) sold (1) SORT (1) standalone (1) to-read (2) unread (1) want (2) women (2) womens (1)

Markoe has a great way of letting you see the humor that can be found in any stressful situation ( )
  artwench | Mar 24, 2009 |
It is easy to see why Merrill Markoe was head writer for the David Letterman Show. She has that wry, slightly skewed, often hilarious humor nailed down to a science. I loved this book! Maybe it's because I could SO identify with having that godawful mother. Or maybe it's because Markoe writes so well about feeling unsure of oneself, and having low-to-no self-esteem. Or maybe it's because it's so easy to relate to someone who looks in the mirror and will invariably see ALL the flaws like flashing neon signs instead of one (Just One!) good feature. From my perspective, there's got to be something in this book with which most every woman can identify. This is the first book I've read in 2009... it sets a very high standard for the rest of the year. ( )
  sloepoque | Jan 4, 2009 |
SUMMARY: an unnamed, unmarried, thirtysomething female narrator takes the audience, via one chapter, through one year in her life. Every birthday, she analyzes her life, resolves to make changes, and vows to learn something new. Unfortunately, she can't seem to break the patterns of behavior with which she's been suffering for most of her life: bad boyfriends, bad sex, bad parental relationships. While not technically a memoir, this novel is too poignant and simply too REAL to be pure fiction.

WHY YOU'LL LIKE IT: True moments of hilarity abound throughout the text. I believe Markoe didn't name her protagonist because it allows the reader to mold the character into whatever they choose -- and good luck not identifying with most of her travails!

WHY YOU WON'T: There are numerous cringeworthy moments where you want to grab the narrator by her shoulders and shake some sense into her. I had several moments where I actually spoke, "What are you THINKING?! Stand up for yourself!" It can get frustrating, but that's what makes it real.

BOTTOM LINE: Not esoteric or life-changing, this novel is a quick and frothy read which will make you laugh, make you think, and make you appreciate how normal your family is (in comparison). ( )
  hippolytus | Dec 29, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812967240, Paperback)

On the first page of It's My F---ing Birthday, the unnamed narrator initiates a new tradition: every year she will write "a personal state of the union to help me chart my profits and losses." We get these annual reports in chapters, from "Thirty-Six" to the concluding "Forty mmmmppphhh." In between lie several years of angst-ridden dating and parental torment in the already hallowed tradition of Bridget Jones's Diary. There are two differences: author Merrill Markoe, who spent many years writing for David Letterman (and collecting many Emmy awards), has a considerably darker comic vision than Helen Fielding. And she also resists the temptation to pair her narrator off in the service of a happy ending. In fact, this is one woman who finds out she's happier on her own: "One great thing I have noticed about living all by myself: All of my annoying habits seem to have disappeared." --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:49 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible