The Cold Calling by Will Kingdom
All member reviews
What a cast of characters, Bobby Maiden, policeman, once 4 minutes dead, Sister Andy who used ‘alternative’ means to bring him back, Grayle, who’s left New York to try and find her missing sister, Marcus, trying to keep his dying magazine going and, possibly Rickman’s best creation, Cindy, a cross-dressing ventriloquist and shaman.

I just couldn’t put this book down as I wanted to discover who the ‘Green Man’, driven to murder his victims at sacred sites, what happened to Grayle’s sister, and whether or not everyone makes it alive to the end of the book. But I also didn’t want to finish it as, as well as his wonderfully three dimensional and flawed characters, Rickman’s sense of place is superbly evocative of the border country he writes about.

I really don’t why Rickman isn’t more widely read as he should be at the top of the best seller lists. ( )
  riverwillow | Mar 28, 2014 |
Pretty good setup. As usual with Rickman, some good, amusing characters. But the plot's kinda lacking and the conclusion especially trite. More on neolithic life might have been a good turn to distract from the rather standard-issue serial-killer plot, but I'm guessing the publisher very much wanted the standard-issue serial-killer plot with a bit of the old spook thrown in. And that, unfortunately for us, is pretty much what they got. ( )
  ehines | Mar 8, 2014 |
Will Kingdom is a pseudonym of Phil Rickman, and this is as inventive and gripping (and funny) as his other books.
1 vote PollyMoore3 | Oct 19, 2010 |
Another story from Will Kingdom/Phil Rickman. I love how he brings back characters from other books. The story was okay, and I didn't guess who the killer was until I was told. It didn't have the chill factor of some of his other books, but getting the backstory on some of the characters I had read about in other books was great. Perhaps I should have started with this one; it was still a pleasant whiling away of time.
Originally posted December 3, 2005
  kconcannon | Sep 26, 2007 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,621,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible