Hoops by Walter Dean Myers
405None26,155 (3.89)11

The book “Hoops” by Walter Dean Myers was unlike any other book I have ever read. It was about a teenager named Lonnie who is in high school. Lonnie is trying to make it big in his favorite sport Basketball. But he is having trouble not only with his game, with his friends, family, his coach, and even him self.
The book its self has a whole lot of drama like when Lonnie is having trouble with his Basketball coach, and his girl friend. This book its self has a whole lot of action in it. And so inappropriate parts that might frighten young readers. But I liked the whole book. I recommend reading it.
1 vote br13sats | Sep 13, 2012 |
​The book is about a boy named Lonnie Jackson. He lives in a tough neighborhood in Harlem. His father left him when he was little and he drinks alcohol at the age of 16. He gets into the city basketball team and finds out some secrets about the coach. And... thats it, that's the story.

​The book was the worst book I have ever read. All the book is about every game the team has. And there's weird moments like one of the team members shoot Lonnie in the foot for no reason at all with a gun. The only interesting part was what the coach's secret is. That's why I only gave the book 3/5 stars just for the story line (which was messed around a lot) and I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  br13brsi | Sep 8, 2012 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 26, 2011 |
Personal response:

This book was a great description of Harlem and the struggles of young blacks regarding family, financial struggles, peer pressure, mentors, integrity, sexuality, and awareness of power, options for how to proceed in life, and realistically facing the future. The one thing I could have done w/o was all the details of game play. Guess that is a guy thing.

Cirriculum/programming connections:

I would use it in a YA book dispay of award-winning black authors and create bibliographies of this authors work, as well as others with significant bodies of work. ( )
  ramonamadalena | Jun 13, 2010 |
The main characters in the book Hoops are Lonnie Jackson, his mom, and his basketball coach. This book takes place in New York City, 1960. The theme is basketball and how you should practice to get your dreams and it's kind of about how you should always love and take care of your family.I like this book because it is about basketball and because it's cool to help out your family by getting a job to help your mom pay the bills and when he's done he still has time to play basketball.His only chance for a scholarship depends on Cal, a failed pro who has hit bottom. Cal improves Lonnie's game, but disappears just when Lonnie needs him most. Fast basketball action and sensitive characterization combined with a suspenseful story attracts sports-minded readers.
  sambamfvc | Jan 7, 2010 |
Very good book.
added by WV7PR96 | editwylie, Wylie Velez

To my father,
Herbert Dean,
who bought my first
typewriter for me
One of the things my father used to say was how his days were piling up on him.

As the Tournament nears, Lonnie learns that some heavy bettors want Cal to keep him on the bench so that the team will lose the championship. As the last seconds of the game tick away Lonnie and Cal must make a decision. Are they willing to blow the chance of a lifetime?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:03 -0400)

A teenage basketball player from Harlem is befriended by a former professional player who, after being forced to quit because of a point shaving scandal, hopes to prevent other young athletes from repeating his mistake. Lonnie plays basketball in spite of his coach, a has-been named Cal. Followed by The Outside Shot (1987). All eyes are on seventeen-year-old Lonnie Jackson while he practices with his team for a city-wide basketball Tournament of Champions. His coach, Cal, knows Lonnie has what it takes to be a pro-basketball player, but warns him about giving in to the pressure. Cal knows because he, too, once had the chance--but sold out. As the Tournament nears, Lonnie learns that some heavy bettors want Cal to keep him on the bench so that the team will lose the championship. As the last seconds of the game tick away Lonnie and Cal must make a decision. Are they eilling to blow the chance of a lifetime?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible