How to Build a Dinosaur: The New Science of…

How to Build a Dinosaur: The New Science of Reverse Evolution (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Jack Horner (Author)

1931591,815 (3.65)18
Member:g3n3chambers
Title:How to Build a Dinosaur: The New Science of Reverse Evolution
Authors:Jack Horner (Author)
Info:Plume (2010), 256 pages
Tags:unread

How to Build a Dinosaur: Extinction Doesn't Have to Be Forever by Jack Horner (2009)

The book goes over the potential of how to make a dinosaur in this day and age and the theory of how to do so. The entire first portion of the book is a recount of the history of dinosaurs and their evolution thereof. The second part of the book pertains to gene manipulation concerning drugs versus master genes using chickens as a base genome example. The last portion of the book goes over the concise Evolution from bird to mammal and explores the theory of reversing evolution.
A great read if you can follow it. There is a lot of scientific verbiage that would be difficult for the layman do you understand. Very interesting theories and very entertaining overviews. Jack Horner takes you in depth in seeing just how close we are to creating the Chickenosaurus. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | May 5, 2018 |
I can't help but think if I actually finished this when I started it in summer of 2009 I might've found genetics/biochem sophomore year a lot more interesting and would've done better, but that's playing the coulda shoulda woulda game. Fascinating read, especially considering what it would take to produce atavistic features in a chicken. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
Not as good as hoped for. Horner does make the case for trying the proposed experiments and it looks like it might just work. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
In a sense, the dinosaurs never actually died out. Their direct descendants are still all around us today, in the form of birds. In fact, scientifically, birds are dinosaurs, even if, externally at least, they don't look much like the images of dinosaurs most of us hold in our minds. Well, not yet, anyway. But paleontologist Jack Horner has a plan to make that happen. He figures that it should be possible to alter the embryonic development of a bird -- specifically, a chicken -- in such a way as to recreate the development of its dinosaur ancestors, giving it teeth, a long tail, and clawed forelimbs instead of wings. He believes that the process of figuring out how to do this would teach us a lot about dinosaur and bird evolution, provide a useful educational experience for the public, and perhaps yield new medical insights that could be used to prevent birth defects in humans.

This book is about that freaky, fascinating idea of his and how it might be achieved... supposedly. I mean, that's what the title implies it's about, and what the dust jacket says it's about. In reality, he mentions the chickenosaurus in the introduction, and then basically doesn't talk about it again for the next two-thirds of the book, only really going into it at all in the last two chapters. Of the rest of the book, some of it provides some moderately useful scientific background on embryonic development and evolution, and some of it is interesting even if it's not entirely relevant, but a lot of it feels like digression and padding. And not even particularly well-written digression and padding. Ultimately, it seems to me like the subject matter here would have been better served by a long magazine article or two than a book, even a fairly short one like this. And the book would have been better served by being clear about what it wants to give its readers. Because promising that you're going to tell us about turning a chicken into a dinosaur and then instead launching into fifty pages on the history of Montana is about the worst bait and switch ever. ( )
1 vote bragan | Jan 19, 2016 |
This book is a very interesting book about the history and evolution of modern birds, namely the humble chicken. It is also about the history and development of what may be the most fascinating group of animals ever, the dinosaurs. The book covers the question of whether it is possible to create a clone of a dinosaur in the same way it is done in the movies; however maybe it is not a question of cloning, but biological reverse engineering, aka “reverse evolution.” I found the book well written and very convincing. I look forward to seeing where this science leads us. ( )
  Chris177 | Nov 16, 2013 |

Jack Hornerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorman, Jamesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Darwin
Let's suppose you wanted to pick a moment in the history of life and play it over again, backward and forward, like a football play on a highlights DVD, so you could see exactly how it happened. Rewind. Stop. Play. Rewind frame by frame. Stop. Play frame by frame.

A world-renowned paleontologist reveals groundbreaking science that trumps science fiction: how to grow a living dinosaur

Over a decade after Jurassic Park, Jack Horner and his colleagues in molecular biology labs are in the process of building the technology to create a real dinosaur.

Based on new research in evolutionary developmental biology on how a few select cells grow to create arms, legs, eyes, and brains that function together, Jack Horner takes the science a step further in a plan to "reverse evolution" and reveals the awesome, even frightening, power being acquired to recreate the prehistoric past. The key is the dinosaur's genetic code that lives on in modern birds- even chickens. From cutting-edge biology labs to field digs underneath the Montana sun, How to Build a Dinosaur explains and enlightens an awesome new science.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:08 -0400)

Jack Horner and his colleagues in molecular biology labs are poised to create a real dinosaur based on the latest breakthroughs - without using prehistoric DNA. The mystery ingredient in this recreation is the genetic code for building dinosaurs that lives on in modern birds.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,756,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible