Lucky Man: A Memoir by Michael J. Fox

Lucky Man: A Memoir (2002)

by Michael J. Fox

English (26)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (28)
Audiobook narrated by the author.

Michael J Fox was barely thirty years old when he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. At the height of his career, and with a young family, he kept that diagnosis a very closely guarded secret. But in 1998, seven years after his diagnosis, he publicly revealed that he had Parkinson’s, retired from his hit television show, Spin City, and began a new career as a spokesperson for research into Parkinson’s and other neurological disorders.

This is his memoir in which he explains “The ten years since my diagnosis have been the best ten years of my life, and I consider myself a lucky man.”

He is honest and forthright in describing his childhood, early career, missteps, alcohol abuse, successes, and failures. He’s also funny and self-deprecating at times.

Fox narrates the audio version of the book himself, which really gives the listener a feeling of hearing his story person-to-person. However, the audio is an abridged version of the book. I had the text available and read it as well as listening to portions of the audio. ( )
  BookConcierge | Aug 16, 2017 |
Don't read it if don't want to end up watching 168 episodes of Family Ties. ( )
1 vote nashby | Jul 14, 2017 |
I listened to the book on CD. The first chapter was read by Michael J Fox himself, and the remainder was read by Scott Brick. At first I was disappointed that Michael hadn't read the entire book himself. After a while though, I had to remind myself that it was actually Scott Brick reading and not Michael - he did such a good job with the narration that it was Michael speaking through him.
The book was informative, entertaining and inspiring. I appreciate Michael J Fox sharing such an heart-felt account of his triumphs and struggles. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox

★ ★ ★ ★

Michael J. Fox would barely be 30 years old when he would be diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, a rare early onset when most people don't show symptoms until in their late fifties or older. How he dealt with it was no walk in the park. But in the end he would learn that his disease was not a curse but just a walk down another path, a better one for him.

I really enjoyed this book. Fox delves into his childhood and his connection with his family. How he was diagnosed with P.D. And his struggle to deal with it and finally his public “coming-out” of his disease. I loved how honest he was. It may have taken him years to tell the public of his disease (this book would be published less than 4 years after he publicly announced his disease) but he comes out truthful and honest from beginning to end. Definitely a worthwhile read. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
This was interesting. I read "A funny thing happened on the way to the future" So I wanted to check this out. I am a big MJF fan so it is interesting to get inside his head and see where he is coming from. ( )
1 vote Lebowski4 | May 26, 2015 |
In accumulating property for ourselves or our posterity, in founding a family or a
state, or acquiring fame even, we are mortal; but in dealing
with truth we are immortal, and need fear no change nor accident.

— Henry David Thoreau
In Memory Of
Dad & Nana

Dedicated with all of my love to Tracy, Sam, Aquinnah, Schuyler, Esmé
and of course,
Mom
I woke up to find the message in my left hand.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786888741, Paperback)

The same sharp intelligence and self-deprecating wit that made Michael J. Fox a star in the Family Ties TV series and Back to the Future make this a lot punchier than the usual up-from-illness celebrity memoir. Yes, he begins with the first symptoms of Parkinson's disease, the incurable illness that led to his retirement from Spin City (and acting) in 2000. And yes, he assures us he is a better, happier person now than he was before he was diagnosed. In Fox's case, you actually might believe it, because he then cheerfully exposes the insecurities and self-indulgences of his pre-Parkinson's life in a manner that makes them not glamorous but wincingly ordinary and of course very funny. ("As for the question, 'Does it bother you that maybe she just wants to sleep with you because you're a celebrity?' My answer to that one was, 'Ah...nope.'") With a working-class Canadian background, Fox has an unusually detached perspective on the madness of mass-media fame; his description of the tabloid feeding frenzy surrounding his 1988 wedding to Tracy Pollan, for example, manages to be both acid and matter-of-fact. He is frank but not maudlin about his drinking problem, and he refreshingly notes that getting sober did not automatically solve all his other problems. This readable, witty autobiography reminds you why it was generally a pleasure to watch Fox onscreen: he's a nice guy with an edge, and you don't have to feel embarrassed about liking him. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:39 -0400)

With the same passion, humor, and energy that Fox has invested in his dozens of performances over the last 18 years, he tells the story of his life, his career, and his campaign to find a cure for Parkinsons.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,811,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible