Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer

Morning Glory (edition 2009)

by LaVyrle Spencer

6211923,282 (4.27)25
Member:Whinniethepooh
Title:Morning Glory
Authors:LaVyrle Spencer
Info:Berkley Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Currently reading

Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer

English (18)  Latvian (1)  All languages (19)
(CC has this in LP and regular)
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This is the first book I've read by the author. A lovely romance between two social outcasts, set during World War II. At first I thought it was going to be a serious, depressing book, but it turned out to be full of joy and wonder, with plenty of unexpected humour. Yes, there were some dark, unpleasant characters and events that I didn't enjoy reading about at all, but the good stuff was so good! I was surprised at how much I liked it, because many of Spencer's books don't look the least bit appealing to me. ( )
  SylviaC | Jan 20, 2016 |
Morning Glory takes place in Whitney, Georgia just before the United States' entry into World War II. Ellie Dinsmore is a widow, pregnant, with two small boys, living on a ramshackle farm. Will Parker is an ex-convict who has just been fired from the first job he's had since since he left prison. He is literally starving to death. When Will sees Ellie's advertisement for a husband in the town newspaper, he walks out to her farm. When he meets Crazy Ellie Dinsmore, will is not sure what to expect. She’s several months pregnant, has two young children, and looks tired and haggard. Her place is falling apart and she looks like she could do the same. It is obvious that she is desperate, but then so is he, and both are looking for a change in their fortunes. They both agree to a trial period where they will see how they get along. Will is determined to prove his worth and Ellie is hoping to prove she’s not crazy.

There are a number of delightful secondary characters, from spinster librarian Miss Beasley, to Robert Collins, Lydia Marsh, and all the way down to Nathaniel and Norris MacReady, who comprise Whitney’s Civilian Guard during the war years. Lula Peak, the town slut, and Harley Overmire, superintendent at the local sawmill who cuts off his trigger finger rather than be drafted, are two other key secondary characters that are very unlikable. Throughout the book, the dialogue is so good you can virtually hear the different accents and see each character’s background and education just from hearing them talk. I though it was a slow-burning romantic tale of two broken people that learn to heal together.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Holy carp, what an emotional journey! This author really knows how to make two broken and heart sick individuals burrow into the reader’s hearts and just set up blissful, HEA housekeeping there. I think I cried more reading this book than I have in a long time. The emotions are extremely crisp and vibrant, making the reader live and experience every slight and fearful moment as well as every breeze of romance and love.

This romance novel turns into something else entirely, in my humble opinion. The author starts out with two very damaged people whose pasts alone will make the reader’s heart cringe for them. Their coming together and overcoming of their pasts to move into the future would be a fantastic romantic plot by itself. Yet, the author really does something special when she incorporates WWII and the final hurdle at the end. All the elements together elevate this book to an actual piece of historical fiction and not just a romance novel.

I really enjoyed the WWII elements, since that’s my kick this year. A family man knowing he’s going to be called away from his young family, the heart searing letters between husband and wife, the intense respect the people back home have for their veterans, and the details we get of the intense battles in the Guadalcanal region kept me on the edge of my seat and my heart twinging for these two leads.

And our two leads…. Just wow. I can’t think of two more damaged people than these two. Their pasts are so bleak that the love they find in each other seems even more elevated due to them. I guess at times their pasts might have edged into melodramatic territory versus reality. But you know what? The reader is carried away on the emotional ride so much that at least I didn’t even notice! I loved these two from page one and was sucked into their story from the very start.

Beautiful romantic connection between the two leads, great historical details, and emotions intense enough to make you viscerally experience the story in your gut make this a romantic novel to remember. Even if the lead’s backgrounds might slide into melodrama at times, it in no way takes away from the story. The reader is swept away no matter what. I might have to check out these older romantic novels now, if this book is anything to judge by. What a beautiful story!!! ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
I loved every single thing about this book.
If you want a sweet, romantic and all around feel good book, don't look further, this is the one you want to read. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

LaVyrle Spencerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chabrian, DeborahIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forbes, KateReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paredes, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strömberg, GunnelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my favorite authors,TOM & SHARON CURTIS, who be their writing have taught, entertained and inspired. With deepest admiration.
1917 The train pulled into Whitney,Georgia, on a leaden afternoon in November.

Love in a stranger's eyes...

Elly Dinsmore. In town, they called her "Crazy Widow Dinsmore." But Elly was no stranger to their ridicule--she had been an outsider all her life, growing up in a boarded-up old house under the strict eye of her eccentric grandparents. Now she was all alone, with two little boys to raise, and a third child on the way.

Will Parker. He drifted into Whitney, Georgia, one lazy afternoon in the summer of 1941, hoping to put his lonely past behind him. He yearned for the tenderness he had never known, the home he'd never had. All he needed was for someone to give him a chance.

Then he saw her classified ad: WANTED--A husband. When he stepped across Elly Dinsmore's cluttered yard, Will Parker knew he had come home at last...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515102636, Mass Market Paperback)

"A superb book." (New York Daily News)

On the eve of World War II, two people are brought together by fate and discover an unexpected passion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:55 -0400)

Elly was all alone, with two little boys to raise, and a third child on the way. All Will needed was for someone to give him a chance. Then he saw her classified ad: WANTED--A husband.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,426,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible