Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Checkmate by Malorie Blackman

Checkmate (2005)

by Malorie Blackman

an the future ever erase the past? Rose has a Cross mother and a nought father in a society where the pale-skinned noughts are treated as inferiors and those with dual heritage face a life-long battle against deep-rooted prejudices. Sephy, her mother, has told Rose virtually nothing about her father, but as Rose grows into a young adult, she unexpectedly discovers the truth about her parentage and becomes determined to find out more. But her father's family has a complicated history - one tied up with the fight for equality for the nought population. And as Rose takes her first steps away from Sephy and into this world, she finds herself drawn inexorably into more and more danger. Suddenly it's a game of very high stakes that can only have one winner . . . ( )
  AccyP | Nov 16, 2018 |
Read: 8/11-8/28/13

Rating: 4.5/5 I don't know exactly what to say about this book. But, let me start off by saying that the only reason it too me so long to read it was because it was a battle of wills....A part of me wanted to read, the other part of me that didn't...It wanted to do everything But read...So, that's what I call a true slump! lol..Now, on to trying to put into words what I feel about this book:
I struggled between giving it a 4 or 5 Star Rating, that's why it is at the 4.5 Stars. I really did enjoy this book. I can say it was amazing but very intense..just like the first two books. I really did enjoy this one a lot more than I did Knife Edge. I think for me, with Knife Edge, it was a tad bit boring, but yet, I wanted to find out what happened..but I now believe that I should have taken a break between Black & White (Noughts & Crosses) & Knife Edge...Maybe it would not have seemed so bad...I almost gave up on the whole series because of Knife Edge but a part of me wanted to find out what happened with Callie Rose, so I didn't read for a couple months. Then, I found the Callum e-book. I am so glad I did. That is what got me back on this series. Anyway, back to Checkmate.This book, like I said, was amazing, but it was such an intense read for me. Like the other two, there were parts in the book that made you mad, hurt your feelings, broke your heart, etc. And that is what makes it so hard to read. There are some people that can read all books back to back and be fine with it, but I just can't do it I realized. But I do think it is one of my favorites this year. I am beyond curious what is going to happen in Double Cross, the final book in this series.I have the book on my shelf, but I am going to try to read another book before reading Double Cross to give myself a break from all of the intensity. I can say that it will be hard for me not to pick up the book and read it now. But I know if I try to do it now, I won't be able to finish it or get through it right now. For me, this is a book you have to prepare yourself for and be in a place you can handle all the things that go on.I think this books kind of falls into the Dystopian Genre....And normally I am not really into dystopian books...But because of the topic of this series, it makes it more interesting for me because I had always thought about "What would happen in this society and how would people feel if the rolls were reversed?" And Pow! Here it is! lol...I have seen people post/comment about her being racist solely on the topic of this book..well, I don't know her personally so I cant say whether she is or not...But I can say that I don't see that as being the case with this book...I see this series for what it is...A Roll Reversal. So, anyone who is considering reading this book...Regardless of your race, creed, gender, etc do not go into it with race in mind..Go into it just for what it is...What I mentioned before "Roll Reversal"...If things were turned around, how would things be handled? How would people feel? React? etcBut, I have said too much so I will end here...Thanks for reading all of this. :-) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |
After the disappointment of Knife Edge, the previous book in this trilogy, I wasn't sure which way this one was going to go. After spending the afternoon racing through it, I am pleased to announce that Checkmate is as good as Noughts and Crosses which I adored. YAY!

While Knife Edge seemed to be lacking the edginess and the intensity of plot I found in Noughts and Crosses, Checkmate did not have that problem. It was angsty, it was powerful, it was emotional. The lives of these characters are still not at ease, all of them still fighting with the ghosts of their collective past and poor Callie Rose, dragged into the middle of it all, is just trying to work out who she is and where she belongs.

Sephy has changed dramatically since Noughts and Crosses but at times I can see her old self shine through and what's more is that I see her in Callie. The development of mother and daughter was flawless - all their fights, arguments, mistakes on both parts, and in the end their love for each other, tied together by the memory of Callum. Callum, though killed in the first book, is an overhanging presence in all their lives, even all those years later. [And I always knew that letter was a fake!]

Meggie has changed dramatically in this book. Her vindictiveness was quite surprising and I would have thought she would have treated Sephy better. I also don't know how they managed to live in the same house for more than ten years hardly speaking to one another. I believed Sephy was well within her rights to be angry and upset, and also that Meggie had reason to worry - but of course went about it all the wrong way. The problem with these characters is that they've all been broken and hurt so many times they don't know who to trust. I guess this is why the ending gave me so much to be hopeful for. I found myself not caring which boys or men were in either of Callie or Sephy's lives, but mainly caring about their relationship with each other. Makes you wish they had had that conversation a long time ago.

When you care about characters (as I inevitably do) reading a book where they make so much trouble and cause so much pain for each other can be very hard! However, I very much enjoyed this 'conclusion' to the 'trilogy' (though I have another book??) and I don't mind about the extra book as again I find myself unable to let go. ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 10, 2014 |

BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
Hope is the thing with feathers. That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without the words, And never stops at all. - Emily Dickinson
A man's character is his fate. - Heraclitus
This book is dedicated to Neil and Lizzy. As always. I love you. As always.
And I'd like to say a big thank-you to the following people, without whom the Noughts & Crosses series would've taken at least twice as long!
Mum and Wendy. Sue Cook and Annie Eaton. Roma and Eddie. Sean and Gill. Lesley. Minerva. And all the other people who sent me emails and letters to wish me well and spur me on.
And last but not least, this book is also dedicated to my mother-in-law, Molly, who never showed me anything but great love and kindness.
The General watched as his Liberation Militia commanders took their places around the imposing mahogany dining table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0552551945, Paperback)

Can the future ever erase the past? Rose has a Cross mother and a Nought father in a society where the pale-skinned Noughts are treated as inferiors and those with dual heritage face a life-long battle against deep-rooted prejudices. Sephy, her mother, has told Rose virtually nothing about her father, but as Rose grows up she becomes determined to find out more about her parentage. As Rose takes her first steps away from Sephy and into her father’s world, she finds herself drawn inexorably into danger.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Sephy has struggled to raise her mixed-race child in an apartheid society and to make her mark as a singer. But her daughter, Callie Rose, now a young adult, has discovered the truth about her dead father and his role in the fight for equality. As Callie Rose takes her first steps away from Sephy and into her father's world, she finds herself drawn into a dangerous and deadly game. Suggested level: secondary.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible