Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion…

Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder (edition 1988)

by Ann Rule

Info:Signet (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:tbr, non-fiction, crime

Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder by Ann Rule

Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss (whirled)
    whirled: Another well-written true crime account of a narcissistic parent on trial for murder.
    Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters by Peter Vronsky (meggyweg)

Elizabeth Diane Downs makes a good subject for Ann Rule to study -- pretty on the outside and horrifying on the inside. I think if it hadn't been for the courage of Christie Downs and the talents and doggedness of the Oregon legal system she would have gotten away with murder. Many years ago I had seen the movie made from this trial, but the book both added to the information and reminded me of how awful this crime was. I appreciated that Ms. Rule added the two additions telling us what had happened in the intervening years since the trial. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Jan 15, 2014 |
Anne Rule's "Small Sacrifices" is the grim and horrid story of Diane Downs, who, one May night in Oregon in 1983, shot her three young children, killing one of them, and wounding the other two gravely. It was a book very difficult to read, as my distaste for the subject matter was great. However, Ann Rule tells a compelling story, and I stayed with the book as I wanted to see this woman jailed, punished, contrite, and unable to hurt anyone ever again.

Ann Rule is incredibly attentive to detail, conducts interviews herself, and is heavily reliant on transcripts of trials. Her years as a Seattle police officer have served her well in the laying out of truth and because of it, she always tells a believable tale. Once again she gripped me with her writing, and with the gentle touch of her compassion, even while she unwinds the most gruesome of tales. Her sympathy and caring are always visible in the background.

I am horrified beyond measure at the crime committed and the apparent reasons for it. I am extraordinarily glad to have found out from Wikipedia that the prosecutor of the case, whom I esteemed and liked for the protectiveness he showed towards Diane Down's injured children, adopted them, along with his wife, and are giving them a loving home safe from abuse or terror.

I do not know what to say about the book. It will give me nightmares, but it was well-written. Perhaps it will give me nightmares because it was well-written. It is not one I will pick up again, ever, but I think that Ms. Rule did her usual excellent job of telling a terrible tale. ( )
  ahef1963 | Nov 11, 2013 |
Aside from the horrific crime, this was a very engaging read. Diane Downs is an absolute narcissistic, cold-hearted, selfish, psychotic sociopath. I felt complete disgust for Diane and utter sympathy for her children, and all children who must suffer at the hands of others - especially a parent(s). Ann Rule does a fantastic job relating the true story of the tragedy of these children (and others who had the misfortune of crossing paths with Diane). She leaves no stone unturned and tells an unbiased account of the events leading up to the horror, the aftermath, and the trial. She even includes how irate Diane was at this book. This is a must read for any true-crime reader, but be prepared for your emotions to run wild. ( )
  lesliewright34 | Jun 18, 2013 |
Think this was the first Ann Rule book I ever read. Have been a fan of her books ever since. ( )
  sueZqueZ | May 20, 2013 |
Riviting... and exciting. This book was about a woman who care only for herself. She was selfish and demented. The kids were adoreable and living in hell and no one ever knew... Thank you Fred Hugi... and others.... Great read and a moving story about how a criminal's mind works... The Lord works in His magic in His own time... Great write and author Ann Rule does wonders with crime stories. Would highly recommend. ( )
  loubigfish | Sep 16, 2011 |
The fairest things have fleetest end,

Their scent survives their close:

But the rose's scent is bitterness

To him that loved the rose.

--Francis Thompson
For Christie and Danny...and Cheryl Downs
There is no more idyllic spot in May than the Willamette Valley that cradles Eugene and Springfield.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451166604, Mass Market Paperback)

Ann Rule's shocking and powerful account of the destructive forces that drove Diane Downs, a beautiful young mother, to shoot her three young children in cold blood.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:37 -0400)

The story of an Oregon woman convicted of shooting her three children, killing one, in 1983.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible