Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales) by…

Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales) (edition 2004)

by Dorothea Benton Frank

Member:alisonb60
Title:Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales)
Authors:Dorothea Benton Frank
Info:Berkley Trade (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales) by Dorothea Benton Frank

Recently added bybooksniff, mccbookdrive, PJ817, BrownvilleLibrary, private library, tennwisc, KimSmyth

Another great read from Dorothea Benton Frank. Written with southern charm that I've come to expect from Frank. Her stories always revolve around family and the Lowcountry. And, they always make me want to call a realtor, pack my bags and head for the eastern coast of South Carolina. Great book about a family that overcomes obstacles, despite the many odds against them.

Sullivan's Island can be followed up with Return to Sullivan's Island. Going read that now. Can't wait to read how this tale continues.

MaryEvelynLS | Jun 1, 2014 |
I enjoyed the beginning of the book, particularly the accounts of the main character's life growing up on the island with a Gullah caregiver. But the end of the book dissolved into a maudlin religious and sappy sentimental conclusion. Very disappointing. ( )
2 vote joyceBl | Aug 26, 2012 |
I liked the description of the low country and life outside the city in the old house. And the main character was appealing -- although I still cannot get the picture of what she did to her husband's toothbrush out of my mind. So it was an easy, relaxing read. But I felt that the story struggled to figure out where it was going. Did Susan really change much? What was the point of the KKK connection, solved because of a dream, no less? I'm not totally blown away. I have another book by Frank that I'm willing to try out before I write her off completely. ( )
  TerriBooks | Aug 1, 2012 |
Very good slow paced ,humurous read.The lead character Susan is damn funny.I didnt care much for teh suspense though regarding her dad.
  hashim_ar | Jan 14, 2011 |
I absolutely loved this book and Susan. So far this has to be my favorite of the books I have read by D. Frank. Anyone can relate to this story and feel right at home with Livvie she is the best and wish I could have had someone like her in my life. ( )
  BarbsReviews | Jul 26, 2010 |
For my dear friend and mentor, Mary Kuczkir.
And for Ella Wright, who was my Livvie.
I searched for sleep curled up in my quilt - the one made for me at my birth by my paternal grandmother's own hands.
Digging roots off the Island had been essential to my sanity. . . . There were too many ghosts in the paneling, too many tears in the pipes.
Of all the stones I carried in the sack tied to my heart, his death was the heaviest.
When Daddy took off his belt, we paid for it with the stinging disappearance of a layer of our childhood innocence.
We’d been through ups and downs like everyone. … We didn’t talk; we swam the River Sarcasm.
The last of the old water sucked its way down the drain with the sound of disappearing little girlhood swirling away right behind it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425193942, Paperback)

The New York Times bestseller—in paperback for the first time!

Set in the steamy, stormy landscape of South Carolina, Sullivan's Island tells the unforgettable story of one woman's courageous journey toward truth.

Born and raised on idyllic Sullivan's Island, Susan Hayes navigated through her turbulent childhood with humor, spunk, and characteristic Southern sass. But years later, she is a conflicted woman with an unfaithful husband, a sometimes resentful teenage daughter, and a heart that aches with painful, poignant memories. And as Susan faces her uncertain future, she realizes that she must go back to her past. To the beachfront house where her sister welcomes her with open arms. To the only place she can truly call home.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:20 -0400)

In a novel set on the stormy, sultry coastal region of South Carolina, a woman with an unfaithful husband, resentful teenage daughter, and dark memories of the past embarks on a courageous search for the truth about her life.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,341,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible