Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Summer Island by Kristin Hannah

Summer Island

by Kristin Hannah

Recently added byrena75, SandiLey, Carlathelibrarian

Summer Island by Kristin Hannah does not compare to her most recent books. You will want to drink a bottle of wine with this book, because it can get really cheesy. I felt like it was more of a Debbie Macomber or Danielle Steel type book and I am not a fan of those authors. Despite my issues with that, I was still invested in the characters and wanted to finish the book (trudging through all the mushiness) so I would know what happened, even though I had pretty much predicted the outcome.
Nora Bridge is a radio talk show host that has recently been exposed by the media. Nude photos from her past were posted everywhere, pretty much abruptly ending her career. As she drunkenly flees her apartment, she gets into a car wreck and breaks some bones. Her estranged daughter Ruby enters the scene to take care of Nora, secretly planning on writing her own damaging magazine article about her mother for money.
Ruby has been lost and lonely and filled with longing most of her life. “I want to gather the broken pieces of my heart together, pull them into my lap, and study them. Maybe then I could find the hole, the missing piece, that allows me to forget those I love. I am tired of my solitary life, weary to the bone. I have been running for years so fast and hard, I am breathless. And here, and the end of it, I see that I’ve gone nowhere at all.”
Ruby also runs into her first love, Dean, who is on the island spending time with his dying brother. Ruby and Dean have to deal with the unresolved feelings between them. Dean and his brother Eric also have some baggage they have to explore.
As mother and daughter and brother and brother stay on Summer Island, they all begin to work through their problems from the past and present. Will they all be able to forgive each other and find some peace and happiness at last? ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Jun 28, 2018 |
Years ago, Nora Bridge walked out on her marriage and left her two daughters behind. She has since become a famous radio talk-show host and newspaper columnist beloved for her moral advice. Her youngest daughter, Ruby, is a struggling comedienne who uses her famous mother as fuel for her humor. When the tabloids publish naked photos from Nora's past, a glossy magazine offers Ruby a fortune to write a tell-all about her mother. Nora is injured in a car accident and Ruby returns home to take care of the woman she hasn't spoken to for almost a decade. They head out to Summer Island, an island in the San Juans that was once a place where they all loved each other. Coincidentally, Ruby's filthy rich childhood sweetheart happens to be there at the same time, helping his gay brother during end stage cancer.

What began as a tale of revenge revolves into an exploration of her family's past. Nora is not the woman Ruby has hated all these years. Witty, wise, and vulnerable, she is desperate to reconcile with her daughter. As the magazine deadline draws near and Ruby finishes what has begun to seem to her an act of brutal betrayal, she is forced to grow up and at last to look at her mother through the eyes of an adult instead of a child.

Overall I just wasn't that interested in the story but it was a quick and easy read. The author does a great job describing scenes and fleshing out some characters, but the plot was predictable, as was the ending.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
I really liked this engrossing emotional story even though the romance took a back seat. For the most part I identified with each of the characters despite their being at odds with each other. Ruby ends up taking care of her estranged mother Nora whose scandalous past was revealed and she ran her car into a tree.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
When Nora Bridge is injured in an accident, her daughter Ruby is offered a fortune to write an expose of her mother. Under false pretences, Ruby returns home to take care of Nora, who wants to recuperate in her old house on Summer Island. (summary from ISBN 0750521554)

In her own unique style, Hannah once again writes about love and loss, relationships, and friendship. Readers get to know every aspect of each character and will find themselves drawn into the story, not wanting it to end. ( )
  lrobe190 | Oct 1, 2014 |
Summer Island by Kristin Hannah
Nora runs her own talk show with mostly advice to parents and their relationships with their kids.
Problem is there are now pictures out with her and a man, nude. Her oldest Caroline has come to her rescue and they are not very close at all.
She will help set her injured mother up at the island. She can keep an eye on the two boys she helped riase where one of them has learned he's dying of AIDS.
Her younger daughter Ruby has had jobs, stand up mostly and now has money where she can write all about her mother's real story. She has agreed to spend a week taking care of her mother on the island.
Story also follows Dean and his past love life with Ruby. Also his brother is reuniting with him on the island as he dies.
Love how this book all comes together...
  jbarr5 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345483448, Paperback)

Few authors dare to truly analyze the complex natures of mother-daughter relationships. In her novel Summer Island, author Kristin Hannah perfectly captures the bittersweet, inspiring, disappointing, tragic, and human aspects of such a relationship. Set in the tranquil, present-day San Juan Islands, Summer Island presents itself as a deep investigation of the ramifications of a mother's abandonment of her two daughters. Unlike many similar novels, this one delivers the goods.

As an aspiring and failing comedian, Ruby's life in Los Angeles has shrunk into a directionless morass. She says when she dismisses superstition, "As if she needed magic to tell her that she was stuck in the spin cycle of her life." Though neither she nor Caroline are inclined to help their mother, Ruby finally agrees when a magazine offers to pay her for a tell-all exposé.

With a masterful balance of cutting wit, realistic dialogue, and lyrical description, Summer Island is by far Hannah's greatest work. Mothers, daughters, and sisters are sure to mark the passages and lend this novel to each other. If this is the standard for future Hannah novels, her fan base is sure to grow.--Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

When Nora Bridge left her husband and her two daughters 10 years ago, she took the only route she could see, and assumed she still had her daughters' love. Now, though she is distant from her own daughters, Nora is the hostess of a radio advice show, where she advises listeners that "family comes first." When a scandal breaks and Nora hits rock bottom, she finds she has to rely on the two people she has betrayed most deeply: her daughters, Ruby and Caroline. As an aspiring and failing comedian, Ruby's life in Los Angeles has shrunk into a directionless morass. She says when she dismisses superstition, "As if she needed magic to tell her that she was stuck in the spin cycle of her life." Though neither she nor Caroline are inclined to help their mother, Ruby finally agrees when a magazine offers to pay her for a tell-all expose.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,482,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible