Summer Island by Kristin Hannah

Summer Island

by Kristin Hannah

Summer Island by Kristin Hannah
Nora runs her own talk show with mostly advice to parents and their relationships with their kids.
Problem is there are now pictures out with her and a man, nude. Her oldest Caroline has come to her rescue and they are not very close at all.
She will help set her injured mother up at the island. She can keep an eye on the two boys she helped riase where one of them has learned he's dying of AIDS.
Her younger daughter Ruby has had jobs, stand up mostly and now has money where she can write all about her mother's real story. She has agreed to spend a week taking care of her mother on the island.
Story also follows Dean and his past love life with Ruby. Also his brother is reuniting with him on the island as he dies.
Love how this book all comes together...
  jbarr5 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Kristin is one of my favorite story tellers...she pulls you in right from the start. I love her take on the mother-daughter-sister relationships. A wonderful read. ( )
  ava-st-claire | Feb 21, 2014 |
I thought it was a great book, but of course all her books are amazing. They all touch my heart. ( )
  DonnaMZadunajsky | Jun 18, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book had not read anything from this author before ( I will definitely being checking on other books now). I like the strong characters – Ruby (the youngest daughter) and Nora (the mother). Ruby must finally learn how to forgive her mother for leaving when she was younger. She learns some hard facts about her parents and realizes that maybe her mother wasn’t all that bad.

Ruby also learns to love again – her childhood sweetheart. The past intertwines with the present and it’s not all bad. I would have to say the ending was a little disappointing, since it seem that there is still a little of the story left to tell. But any good writer will leave you wanting more.
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I was in desperate need of an audiobook so I stopped at the library one evening on my way home and was urged to pick up Summer Island by Kristin Hannah. A few of the ladies in my book club have read a bunch of Hannah's books, while I've only read a couple, so I thought I would try another. I did find enjoyment from the audioversion, but I can't say I am going to go on a quest tomorrow to read more of her books.

A rift was created between Nora and Ruby the day Nora walked out on her family many years ago. Ruby retreated to San Francisco in hopes of starting her career as a comedy writer. That became pretty much hopeless once her reputation was established, whereas no-one would even contact her for small one-line acting jobs.

Nora is a successful radio talk-show host known for giving knowledgeable advice. Things go awry for her career when photographs are revealed of her in compromising positions during the time she would have been married. Her fans can't help but wonder who they are getting advice from if she was having an affair while she was married.

In an effort to steer clear of the media, Nora heads to the family cottage on Summer Island. But after her accident she can't stay there alone, so she pleads with Ruby to join her on the island to offer her assistance when needed. Surprisingly, Ruby agrees, which puts them on a path to understanding each other and the decisions they made that have left wounded hearts along the way.

Besides the family drama in this novel, there is also a love story weaved into the storyline. This part was predictable to me and may be why I didn't like the book as much as others may have. I can't say I was overly impressed with Bean's narration of the novel either. With themes of love, forgiveness, family, and illness, this book does have a lot to offer. Although I didn't love it, the audio was entertaining and I do recommend it for those that are looking for a lighter read or fans of Kristin Hannah. ( )
  jo-jo | Nov 30, 2012 |
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345483448, Paperback)

Few authors dare to truly analyze the complex natures of mother-daughter relationships. In her novel Summer Island, author Kristin Hannah perfectly captures the bittersweet, inspiring, disappointing, tragic, and human aspects of such a relationship. Set in the tranquil, present-day San Juan Islands, Summer Island presents itself as a deep investigation of the ramifications of a mother's abandonment of her two daughters. Unlike many similar novels, this one delivers the goods.

As an aspiring and failing comedian, Ruby's life in Los Angeles has shrunk into a directionless morass. She says when she dismisses superstition, "As if she needed magic to tell her that she was stuck in the spin cycle of her life." Though neither she nor Caroline are inclined to help their mother, Ruby finally agrees when a magazine offers to pay her for a tell-all exposé.

With a masterful balance of cutting wit, realistic dialogue, and lyrical description, Summer Island is by far Hannah's greatest work. Mothers, daughters, and sisters are sure to mark the passages and lend this novel to each other. If this is the standard for future Hannah novels, her fan base is sure to grow.--Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:08 -0400)

When Nora Bridge left her husband and her two daughters 10 years ago, she took the only route she could see, and assumed she still had her daughters' love. Now, though she is distant from her own daughters, Nora is the hostess of a radio advice show, where she advises listeners that "family comes first." When a scandal breaks and Nora hits rock bottom, she finds she has to rely on the two people she has betrayed most deeply: her daughters, Ruby and Caroline. As an aspiring and failing comedian, Ruby's life in Los Angeles has shrunk into a directionless morass. She says when she dismisses superstition, "As if she needed magic to tell her that she was stuck in the spin cycle of her life." Though neither she nor Caroline are inclined to help their mother, Ruby finally agrees when a magazine offers to pay her for a tell-all expose.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible