Tek War by William Shatner

Tek War (edition 1990)

by William Shatner (Author)

Series: TekWar (1)

Member:dragonasbreath
Title:Tek War
Authors:William Shatner (Author)
Info:Ace (1990),
Collections:Your library, SciFi/Fantasy
Tags:Science Fiction, Illegal Drugs, False Imprisonment, Mystery

Tekwar by William Shatner

This was edited for audio by [a:Ron Goulart|43248|Ron Goulart|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1232934840p2/43248.jpg] who I expect had quite a hand in the initial manuscript as well. I remember thinking it read like one of his novels when I first read this shortly after it came out.

This was better listened to as an abridged audio book than I remember it in paperback. The story is totally cliched, but it rolled along quickly, if predictably. Still, the good Captain wrote & read it, which helped a lot. Plain fun, leave your thinking cap off. Just go with it & enjoy.
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I should probably give this 3 stars but it's Shatner! Bill rates an extra star for his awesomeness. Anyway, a joke on the Simpsons had led me to believe this was one of the worst books ever, but it wasn't so bad. It could have used a real editor to clean it up a little. Too many instances of phrases like "came running" and "came charging" and so forth where you could just say ran or charged. The story itself wasn't bad, a fairly decent sci-fi detective story that borrows primarily from "Blade Runner", though the end dragged on just a bit.

That is all. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
I picked it up on somewhat of a lark when it first came out. I was a pretty decent Star Trek fan, and had bought it specifically because Shatner wrote it. I honestly wasn’t expecting anything that great—after all, this was shortly after Star Trek V had come out. Shatner directed and helped write the story, and it was, in my opinion, the worst thing ever created under the Star Trek banner. But since movies and novels can be very different animals, I took a shot. I have seen rumors that the Tek series was actually ghost written. If true, it's too bad for that person because I found this book a very good read. In fact, it was the first book I remember ever reading that I literally could not put down. I read it straight through, staying up until 3 in the morning.

Shatner has created a dark yet compelling future. Most of today’s illegal drugs have been legalized and even mainstreamed—for example, cocaine is commercially and synthetically created and advertised by sports stars. The only illegal drug is “Tek” an electronic hallucinogen that directly stimulates the brain’s pleasure centers with incredibly realistic and addictive “dreams”. The main character, former cop Jake Cardigan, has been in cryogenic prison after being framed for dealing Tek. He gets released early, thanks to intervention by the rich and influential head of a detective agency, in order to team up with his former police partner in the search for a missing scientist who is developing an anti-Tek device. The search takes them to Mexico where he finds the scientist’s daughter (actually an android replica of her), crosses paths with his ex-wife’s former employer and one of the biggest Tek syndicates in the world, and eventually to the Moon. All-in-all a good way to spend a few hours. ( )
  davincidad | Aug 3, 2009 |
  ktoonen | May 6, 2008 |
Tekwar was almost passable. A futuristic story based around a conflict between drug dealers of the substance Tek, and the detective/cop types that try and stop them. With very human androids, to boot.

A cop that had been framed for such a drug deal is reactivated out of his statis prison and given a mission to find a missing man.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2006/12/tekwar-william-shatner.html ( )
  bluetyson | Dec 25, 2006 |
This work is dedicated to those friends and colleagues from Star Trek and T J Hooker, whose talents have contributed in no small measure to whater successes I have achieved.
He didn't know he was about to come back to life.

This is the story of ex-cop Jake Cardigan, who's framed for dealing an addictive brain stimulant called Tek and sentenced to fifteen years of suspended animation.
Now, mysteriously released after four years in the "Freezer", Cardigan in on the loose ... and out for justice.

Chronicles the exploits of tough ex-cop Jake Cardigan, who was framed for dealing Tek and sentenced to 15 years on a prison module. He is hired by the Cosmos Detective Agency after being released after serving four years and finds himself fighting for survival.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,336,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible