Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Never Let Me Go (edition 2006)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

Collections:Your library, Wishlist
Rating:****1/2
Tags:finished Nov. 2010

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (readerbabe1984, RosyLibrarian, ateolf, browner56)
    browner56: Two chilling, though extremely well written, reminders that liberty, freedom, and self-determination are not idle concepts.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (sanddancer)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (jessicaskura, readerbabe1984)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (EnriqueFreeque)
    The Children of Men by P. D. James (bucketyell)
    The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist (infiniteletters, bookcrushblog, bookwormjules)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (joannasephine)
    joannasephine: A similar society, and a similar obliqueness to the most striking aspects of the story.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (VictoriaPL, meggyweg, ahappybooker)
    ahappybooker: Similar themes of dystopia and vivisection
    Under the Skin by Michel Faber (Medellia, SqueakyChu)
    The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (jennyellen22)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Monika_L)
    The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro (Chenga)
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (vnovak)
    The Postmortal by Drew Magary (ahappybooker)
    ahappybooker: also a dystopian society where the government makes unethical choices to supposedly improve the world.
    The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian (bookcrushblog)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (joannasephine)
    The Pesthouse by Jim Crace (urania1)
    urania1: If you enjoy dystopian fiction or long for "literary" science fiction, read this book. It deals with the big questions, namely can people retain their humanity in dehumanizing conditions?
    Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (chrissybob)
    chrissybob: Explores similar themes around the relationships between friends
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (Nickelini)
    The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson (GoST)

English (580)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Galician (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (606)
In line with my policy of giving up reading books that are a struggle, I have put this book down (about 2/3 through). I did enjoy the way friendship was examined and saw many of my old childhood friends in Ruth and Tommy. Ruth, particularly was quite a well thought out character and I thought back to the way one of my friends at school used to do similar things to me in a most backhanded way. For the first part, I enjoyed the way it was narrated as the protagonist's memory of her school days, and I was intrigued as to why they were at this particular school. It was well layered in that you were always wondering what and why. BUT, it was just like listening to someone who just never knows when to stop talking. It dragged on and on and went back and forth in time and finally, I picked up another book, leaving this one on the shelf. I can tell the worth of a book by whether I am looking longingly at my TBR pile and checking how many pages I have left. I did this a lot! ( )
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
  Erin.Patel | Aug 22, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book in its writing style. The resigned, detached way the author treated his subjects left room to discuss just what it might mean to be a clone, living in a human world, and the layers of humanity that go into rearing and incorporating them into society. I thought there could have been greater moments of reveal and emotion, reaction and response on the part of the main characters, but understand that this was a literary choice. Still, it made for slower reading at time. ( )
  kbullfrog | Aug 7, 2014 |
Never Let Me Go seems to be one of those books that readers either love or hate, perhaps because it is very unusual, especially for science fiction. I'm in the love camp. It's a book about relationships and about coping with major problems more than it is about the science behind the story. It's also about prejudice, especially the convenienceof prejudice. I wonder how many stars Thomas Jefferson would have given this book, if he was alive to review it. The bigotry in this novel reminded me of the way Jefferson opposed slavery, but kept slaves and even had a long affair with a woman he owned. I don't want to reveal too much about Kazuo Ishiguro's book, but I think I can say the form of bigotry in this story helps the general population of the book's England even more than slavery helped America's economy in its early days – with the same type of moral implication.

My wife and I watched the film version of Never Let Me Go on the same day I finished the book, so everything was still clear in my mind. The film was overall a good translation from page to screen. There were times when I thought something important was missing, but each time I checked with my wife, who hadn't read the book, she understood what was happening. I do wish the film had emphasized the relationship between Kathy and Ruth a bit more. Ruth was a more positive character in the book, so her actions and feelings of guilt were less upsetting in the film.

I'm not going to write a synopsis in this review, because I don't want to include any spoilers. I'll just say the story made me think. It would be a wonderful choice for a book club.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
1 vote SteveLindahl | Aug 2, 2014 |
Another one I'm conflicted about.

This is the story of three young people growing up in a very comfortable "boarding school" in England. Only later do we find out that they're actually clones being raised to supply spare parts.

Pluses: The writing, for the most part. I thought the characters were believable children and teens, mostly, and I really liked (and was horrified by) the premise. I stayed up late so I could keep reading.

Minuses: I kept waiting for some angst on the part of the characters--are you telling me that *none of them* had a problem with being raised to supply parts?! I'm not buying it, especially when they got to be teenagers. And I would have loved to see the government discussions about this program, the press, etc. How did this type of program come to exist at all, and what caused it to be disbanded, apparently? And what about the recipients--were they just rich, or were there other criteria that allowed them to participate? Etc., etc. Just some more context would have been appreciated, given how understated and matter-of-fact the presentation is. Also, the narrator said "Let me back up..." way too often for my taste. Either write it linearly or as flashbacks, but that device got old in a hurry.

Summary: I liked the premise and most of the writing, but I don't think that Ishiguro was the right person to write this story. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
Ishiguro is extremely good at recreating the special, oppressive atmosphere of school (and any other institution, for that matter)—the cliques that form, the covert rivalries, the obsessive concern with who sat next to whom, who was seen talking to whom, who is in favor at one moment and who is not.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Anita Desai (pay site) (Nov 22, 2005)

The eeriest feature of this alien world is how familiar it feels. It's like a stripped-down, haiku vision of children everywhere, fending off the chaos of existence by inventing their own rules.

"Never Let Me Go" is marred by a slapdash, explanatory ending that recalls the stilted, tie-up-all-the loose-ends conclusion of Hitchcock's "Psycho." The remainder of the book, however, is a Gothic tour de force that showcases the same gifts that made Mr. Ishiguro's 1989 novel, "The Remains of the Day," such a cogent performance.

This extraordinary and, in the end, rather frighteningly clever novel isn't about cloning, or being a clone, at all. It's about why we don't explode, why we don't just wake up one day and go sobbing and crying down the street, kicking everything to pieces out of the raw, infuriating, completely personal sense of our lives never having been what they could have been.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, John Harrison (Feb 26, 2005)

Kazuo Ishiguroprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Novarese, PaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lorna and Naomi
My name is Kathy H.

At the age of thirty-one, Kathy H. is coming to the end of her time as a carer – a milestone that prompts her to reflect on her unusual life. She begins, naturally, with her childhood at Hailsham, where she and her friends Ruth and Tommy negotiated the lessons and Exchanges set by their guardians, as well as the constant social pressures of school life. As her recollections progress, however, Kathy must take care not to delve too deeply into the tangled knot of her own emotions. The past holds no refuge for her; even since childhood, the knowledge of what the future holds has always been there, deep down – and some truths are too terrible to be confronted.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307740994, Paperback)

All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny. Kazuo Ishiguro's sixth novel, Never Let Me Go, is a masterpiece of indirection. Like the students of Hailsham, readers are "told but not told" what is going on and should be allowed to discover the secrets of Hailsham and the truth about these children on their own.

Offsetting the bizarreness of these revelations is the placid, measured voice of the narrator, Kathy H., a 31-year-old Hailsham alumna who, at the close of the 1990s, is consciously ending one phase of her life and beginning another. She is in a reflective mood, and recounts not only her childhood memories, but her quest in adulthood to find out more about Hailsham and the idealistic women who ran it. Although often poignant, Kathy's matter-of-fact narration blunts the sharper emotional effects you might expect in a novel that deals with illness, self-sacrifice, and the severe restriction of personal freedoms. As in Ishiguro's best-known work, The Remains of the Day, only after closing the book do you absorb the magnitude of what his characters endure. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:45 -0400)

Thirty-one-year-old Kathy, along with old friends from Hailsham, a private school in England, are forced to face the truth about their childhood when they all come together again.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible