The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg

The Art of Mending (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Elizabeth Berg

Member:writestuff
Title:The Art of Mending
Authors:Elizabeth Berg
Info:Fawcett (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2007 Read, Women's Fiction

The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg (2004)

Recently added bySaraJudith, sharon370, private library, tennwisc, jennifersoule, dgooler, Dmtcer

Decent book, very quick read ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
ebook
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I LOVE Elizabeth Berg's books. I'm getting a little concerned because I've been going back and trying to read all of the Berg books I missed along the way---what will I do when I catch up??? I hope she is spending day and night writing!! Seriously, her characters make me just plain comfortable with them as real people, imaginary though they are. The stories are always something that grabs a piece of your heart along the way. ( )
  nyiper | Feb 26, 2013 |
Elizabeth Berg tackles the complicated relationships of siblings and their different experiences with their shared parents. I love her easy to relate to characters and the honest portrayal of doubt, surprise, sympathy and understanding. Plot - middle sister claims abuse by mother. ( )
  CarterPJ | Jul 31, 2012 |
Good. ( )
  Vetteboat | May 1, 2012 |
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing
There is a field. I'll meet you there.
--Rumi

Anyone's childhood can be an act of disablement if
rehearsed and replayed and squinted at in a certain light.
--Carol Shields, from Unless

The foxes were having their pups . . . if a stranger
appeared near the pens, if anything too startling or
disruptive occurred, they might decide to kill them.
Nobody knew whether they did this out of blind irritation,
or out of roused and terrified maternal feeling.
--Alice Munro, from Lives of Girls and Women
For those who find
forgiveness by way
of the truth
and for those
who find the truth
by way of forgiveness
It is a photograph of a staircase that I took with my Brownie camera over forty years ago.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034548648X, Mass Market Paperback)

It begins with the sudden revelation of astonishing secrets—secrets that have shaped the personalities and fates of three siblings, and now threaten to tear them apart. In renowned author Elizabeth Berg’s moving new novel, unearthed truths force one seemingly ordinary family to reexamine their disparate lives and to ask themselves: Is it too late to mend the hurts of the past?

Laura Bartone anticipates her annual family reunion in Minnesota with a mixture of excitement and wariness. Yet this year’s gathering will prove to be much more trying than either she or her siblings imagined. As soon as she arrives, Laura realizes that something is not right with her sister. Forever wrapped up in events of long ago, Caroline is the family’s restless black sheep. When Caroline confronts Laura and their brother, Steve, with devastating allegations about their mother, the three have a difficult time reconciling their varying experiences in the same house. But a sudden misfortune will lead them all to face the past, their own culpability, and their common need for love and forgiveness.

Readers have come to love Elizabeth Berg for the “lucent beauty of [her] prose, the verity of her insights, and the tenderness of her regard for her fellow human” (Booklist). In The Art of Mending, her most profound and emotionally satisfying novel to date, she confronts some of the deepest mysteries of life, as she explores how even the largest sins can be forgiven by the smallest gestures, and how grace can come to many through the trials of one.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:38 -0400)

It begins with the sudden revelation of astonishing secrets. Secrets that have shaped the personalities and fates of three siblings, and now threaten to tear them apart. In renowned author Elizabeth Berg's moving new novel, unearthed truths force one seemingly ordinary family to reexamine their disparate lives and to ask themselves: Is it too late to mend the hurts of the past?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible