The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe

The Book Club (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Mary Alice Monroe

Member:EmScape
Title:The Book Club
Authors:Mary Alice Monroe
Info:Mira (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 408 pages
Collections:Your library, Recommendations
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, small paperback, read, read in 2012

The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe (1999)

rabck from T02S03B11D20; Five women joined by a single thread - their book club. The book explores each of their different paths as they all hit their 50th year. ( )
  nancynova | Apr 20, 2014 |
This was just an 'ok' book. There were interesting parts to it; enough that I read through to the end instead of giving up. But not interesting enough to read through quickly as you can see from the fact that it took me 3 months to finish it. I really had expected to like the book and picked it up because it was about a book club. I guess I was expecting another [b:Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons|16249|Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons|Lorna Landvik|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166720227s/16249.jpg|507242]. It absolutely was NOT! At the start, one of the book club members is recovering from the unexpected death of her husband. There is some jealously among the friends; kind of like HS...whose your BEST friend kind of thing. The book follows the women though problems in their lives. It only covers about 4 months but feels like several years. Even after all that reading, there is still so much of the story untold and unresolved.

Do Midge and her mother come to an understanding? Does Eve let her relationship with Paul develop and do the children accept this? Does Annie survive her cancer, and do she and John relocate from Chicago? Does Gabriella's husband find a good job?

This story mostly tried to cover the bonds of friendship the women had, but really didn't do that very well. If you are looking for a good book about women, friendship, and book clubs, take a pass on this one and read [b:Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons|16249|Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons|Lorna Landvik|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166720227s/16249.jpg|507242] instead!
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was a nice light read about 5 friends in a book club - it's a story of love, loss and loneliness - of finding oneself and of course of the enjoyment of books. Every now and then I like a "fluffy" story that isn't too mentally taxing - this is one. 3 stars. ( )
  daystarzbooks | Jan 22, 2013 |
Five women in the Chicago suburbs meet monthly to discuss books, as well as their trials and tribulations, struggling with motherhood, the loss of a loved one, career trouble, and illness. Their friendship sustains them and the books they read feed their souls.
I did not expect to get so wrapped up in the lives of these women, whom I initially considered bored and wealthy bourgeoisie, without problems I found relatable, but I did end up caring, and rooting for each of them. Even though I still think it must be nice to have a lake home belonging to your late parents to which you can just up and stay for a month in order to “find yourself.” I also feel that there could have been more of a denouement than there was, particularly considering the epilogue expressly states that books are more satisfying when all the loose ends are tied up. Particularly in the case of Midge, the reader is left wondering what happens next. Still, it is a very nice example of a quintessential beach read. ( )
  EmScape | Dec 26, 2012 |
On the surface, it is a monthly book club. But for five women, it is something infinitely more precious: a lifeline to hang on to and a chance to share their hopes, fears and triumphs. There is Eve, whose husband's sudden death has turned her safe little world upside down; cheating her out of every security that she had assumed was hers. Annie is a brilliant attorney who at 43 decides to have a baby, but all the determination in the world cannot change the cold reality of nature.

Doris, forced to acknowledge her dying marriage, will find the ultimate freedom through her husband's betrayal. Gabriella, the "perfect" wife, mother and friend, is afraid to ask for support for herself even as she offers such support to those around her. Finally, there is Midge - an artist who has always lived her life against the grain - but she suddenly feels like a stranger to the very people who should know her the best. These five women are women in transition and as they embrace the challenge of change, they will hold fast to the true magic of their book club - friendship.

Mareena was the one who found this book for me at our local library's book sale. I was intrigued by the book's plot because I love books that delve into people's relationships and the intricacies of women's friendships. This is the first time that I read The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe and I am delighted to discover that she has written more books. I give this book an A+! and am immediately going to put Mary Alice Monroe on my TBR pile. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jun 8, 2012 |
To Markus
"Grow old with me
the best is yet to be."
Prologue: Tonight, I will return to my Book Club.

New York Times bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe invites you to meet five remarkable characters as she explores the power of friendship with tenderness, honesty and understanding

"Outwardly linked by their monthly book club meetings, five diverse women in suburban Chicago come to realize that they share more than just the books they read as they struggle with a number of life-changing issues and discover the true meaning and power of friendship."—Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:35 -0400)

Five very different women find solace from the pain and recent changes in their lives--widowhood, the loss of youth, the yearning for a child, a husband's betrayal--in the remarkable friendship that evolves out of the monthly meetings of their book club.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible