Conspirator

by C. J. Cherryh

Series: Foreigner (10)

Cajeiri, the young son of the powerful leader of the Western Association, has become a target for forces bent on destroying his father's rule. For Cajeiri is the first "ateva" youth to have lived in a human environment and the first of his people to ever truly understand the so similar--yet so dangerously different--aliens who share his home planet and threaten the hidebound customs of his race.… (more)

This series is still proving to be my go-to feel-good alien-human political machinations with a good mixture of comedy and in-depth world-building.

Bren is a solid guy now and we're seeing a lot more of Cajeiri, the eight-year-old son of the head of the Association, from his PoV. And none of these novels are right without Ilisidi, his great-grandmother, and close friend of Bren.

Cajeiri always seems to get into HUGE amounts of trouble, but that's to be expected by an Atevi alien that grew up on a human-run spaceship. He's an alien of both worlds and so is of neither. He's also a breath of fresh air and errors. :) I'm honestly rather happy with this turn. Bren is still a big part of it all, of course, but Cajeiri keeps it fresh.

Bren is a full Lord of the Atevi now. It still shocks me how far he's come, and I can't say the change is undeserved. He's done more for both the Atevi and the Humans than anyone in this world's history, and he's freakishly loyal. :)

This is feel-good adventure and politics. Don't think it's all that light, though. It isn't. It's played close to the cuff and we're always forced to live through the big reveals as they come. As a thriller, it's fantastic.

There's always some lord somewhere wanting to kill someone. That's the problem with a society run by assassins. :)

Great stuff! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
To read more of my reviews, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!Quote:
Baiji was sweating. Visibly. And Ilisidi sat there with the smile of a guardian demon, staring straight at him, with Cenedi standing by her side.
Review:
On the surface, nothing about my liking this book makes sense. Conspirator has every problem I typically have with long running series, all in one book. The pace has slowed down. It has a character perspective I don't typically always enjoy reading. More problems are introduced just so the series can continue for books to come. Nothing really ends, it just continues and continues with no resolutions that don't bring on more problems.

BUT I LOVED IT. Every single thing that goes wrong should go wrong and I ate it up. And everything ends in yet another meeting, which I couldn't get enough of. There is a lot of talking, and a lot of sitting around eating, and oh my god the amount of tea they drink per book is enough to fuel the entire country of Britain for a day. I wanted more of it.

Plus, the amount of action! The book starts off with Bren getting essentially kicked out of the apartment he was living in, which wasn't actually his, he was just allowed to use it. So he decides to take this time to take a vacation and visit the land Tabini gave him to oversee a while back. I'm sure this book is just going to be all fishing and sleeping and getting caught up on all the work he has to get done, right?

HAH!

Nope, it is a bunch of action, and Bren getting way in over his head again and again. He makes mistakes, but not your typical mistakes. He actually does everything right that he is supposed to. Except perhaps not sticking a person to literally keep two eyes and both hands on Cajeiri the entire time. That boy can find a way to get in trouble inside a hat. It is just the fact that the danger Bren is in is way bigger than anyone could have guessed at first. And it always surprises me how much politics these books actually have. And that I just completely eat it up the entire time. I love it, and it is perfect.

Also: Let me tell you, if all 8 year old atevi act like Cajeiri does - I completely, totally, 100% entirely understand why the Atevi fear the number 8. Jesus, this kid is a walking disaster zone. He is a child. He acts like a child. He acts before he thinks, and his position in their society is one that those that are always with him don't always deny him the things he wants to do. Which then gets him into trouble. Goddamn children. I should hate him..... and I kind of do. Yet man do I love this kid. He's mine. I hope he gets everything good out of life. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
While some parts were refreshing (I will always adore Cajeiri and Illisidi), it grows rather tiresome to run into the same situation repeatedly. It also grows tiresome when Bren repeats himself, returns to the same tracks, and the book lulls.

I enjoyed seeing conflict between Bren, Toby, and Barb. I enjoyed it less when it abruptly came to an end and we didn't see exactly what was going on with Barb and Bren. I want to know whether or not Barb really is using Toby, like Bren suggests, but we don't get to see that. This gets frustrating.

A random renewal of hostilities in the middle of the book stir up interest, but that fades after the reader realizes it's nearly the same situation as earlier. Gunfire, without the people shooting visible, and only explanations being given later. It's the same formula and, after about nine books, it's time the formula changed.

It'll be a while before I come back to this series. The long interludes in Bren's head, without much going on and no real plot, just shambling from one scene to another, has grown tiresome. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |

liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
Intrigue, action, suspense, marvelously drawn characters, and plenty of alien psychology are neatly balanced here, creating a book that just about any science fiction reader will be happy with.
added by sdobie | editSF Site, Charlene Brusso (Sep 15, 2009)

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, Daniel ThomasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Jane and to Shejidan—

for keeping me honest.
Spring was coming.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,722,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible