Lover Awakened by J. R. Ward

Lover Awakened

by J. R. Ward

Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood (3)

English (125)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All (129)
3.5 stars

I really like learning about the brothers Zsadist and Phury, their pasts, the extent Phury is willing to go to save Zsadist and the bond between them. For me a brotherhood relationship is often more appealing than a romance. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.5 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Lover Awakened
3 Stars

Synopsis
A former blood slave who suffered ceaseless sexual abuse at the hands of his mistress, Zsadist has developed an intense aversion to women and sex until the day he meets Bella. Able to see beyond his external scars to the wounded warrior beneath, Bella refuses to accept Zsadist's attempts to rebuff her and is determined to make him see that he is worthy of love. Can this mismatched pair overcome all the odds?

Review
Bella and Zsadist's story is the definite highlight of this book. Their relationship is intense, passionate and heart-wrenching. Bella is a truly lovely character, and as tortured heroes go, Zsadist is up there with the best. Nevertheless, even though his experiences as a slave are painful and distressing to read about, something about the writing and descriptions did not completely resonate with me. I am usually the first to break out the Kleenex with this type of character but in this case my packet remained unopened. For a seriously good cry, I recommend Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Zarek's book requires at least two Kleenex packets.

After discussing the issue with some friends in another forum (you know who you are), I've come to the conclusion that my problem with this series stems from the fact that I am a plot rather than a character driven reader. The BDB characters are well-developed and engaging but that simply does not compensate for the lackluster plot, the mediocre dialogue and the ridiculous villains.

I found myself skipping over large portions of the book, which is not the way that I want to read. I gave myself until this book to decide whether or not to continue with the series and have decided that it just isn't for me. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Originally posted here

I adore Zsadist, he has the most interesting backstory and I love the whole aggressive, tortured soul thing he has going on. Lover Awakened is my favourite book so far in the series. The way Bella and Zsadist's relationship evolves is quite different to Wrath and Rhage's romances in the previous two books. It was a sorely needed breath of fresh air and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not sure if I have stopped noticing the cringeworthy scenes or if there just was a lot less of them in this book. Probably the former.

There are many different POVs in this book and that is something I really loved as it breaks up the intensity of the romance and sexy times. I am fascinated with John Matthew and I can't wait to see how he changes once he goes through his transition. I even enjoyed the creepy lesser perspectives and learning more about what their ultimate plan is. Zsadist's story is full of anguish but there is a lot of hope and joy in this book to balance it out. Zsadist is my favourite brother as of this point in the series. I am happy to see him with a proper female vampire and not some unremarkable and random human... *cough* Rhage *cough*.

I cannot help but love the vampire world that J. R. ward has created, the description of needing that the females go through was just the most over the top scenes I had ever read. It has to be read to be believed. I mean OF COURSE female vampires do not grow pubic hair like stupid humans and OF COURSE the only thing that soothes a female's needing is a male's ejaculate which is described as a cool balm. A cool balm. It's just brilliant but mad.

I can definitely see why the Black Dagger Brotherhood polarises readers. It's over the top, super cheesy at times and the cringe is very real. I just love it though and it brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings. I would love to see this series made into an anime or something similar as I just think it would be brilliant and would really suit the outlandish romances. ( )
  4everfanatical | Sep 3, 2016 |

I'm just going to decide this series isn't for me. I've read the first, now the third, and there's no urge to keep riding this ride. I think it's a me thing - I just am NOT into the whole tortured-emo-save-me-now hero vibe. It's a turn-off.

'Lover Awakened' only interested me when others besides the main couple were around. Since it was mainly focused on the main couple, well...

Zsadist may have a genuine tragic story, but a plot that does not make. His bond with Beth was just annoying. He couldn't accept it and I know it's supposed to be because of this psychologically tortured life (couldn't they have gotten any therapy or personal growth in all that time of a long lifespan??), but it grew tedious quickly. If I were Beth I would have hit the road way beforehand, but they're tied because of a chosen bond...fine, I liked fated-to-be-mated pairings usually, but I could care less about Beth and Z. It made little sense to me, all the drowning guilt through any joining was just emotionally cloying, and I'd rather tear my hair out than read scenes of them being together again.

The only good parts of the book were some small scenes between V and Butch, John and where he's headed as a newbie who has a lot to discover, that gloriously well-written and seriously tragic scene with Tohr hearing life-changing news in front of John from the brothers. That brought it up half a star in itself.

There's no point for me to continue since it seems to be that this series is aimed at brooding, negative and pity-me heroes. It's true I can stomach some PR books like Carpathians from Christine Feehan, but at least when they met their mate they became confident and self-assured they wanted the woman in the first place.

Lover Awakened was mainly Beth trying to chase Z around convincing him they were a good idea in the first place. If he's not invested, I certainly can't be. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |

J. R. Wardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frangione, JimReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lukács, LászlónéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sjövik, Maria(KääNt.)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to: You /
There will never be another like you. /
For me... you are the one. /
Yeah, I don't have enough words for this....
"Goddamn it, Zsadist! Don't jump--"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219368, Mass Market Paperback)

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion and terror his only passion—until he rescues a beautiful female from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for each other begins to overtake them, Zsadist’s thirst for vengeance against Bella’s tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past and find a future with her....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

When Zsadist, the most feared member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, rescues Bella from the evil Lessening Society, he is nearly driven insane by rage against her tormentors, and must confront his tortured past in order to have a future with this brave beauty who is his destiny.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,184,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible