The Weapon by David Poyer

The Weapon

by David Poyer

I am beginning to think that Dan Lenson is stuck. That he is never going to get promoted and that this lack of upper advancement really means that we are going to struggle to see any mission worthy of our hero over the next several books.

Poyer has given us a hero who is one of the few that showcases what an officer who wears black shoes should be doing in the modern world. With so few competitors, we then should see a great deal of Lenson. But we don't see as much as we see some of those who have similar duties in navies that were extant 200 years ago.

And with the world the volatile place it is, we should see more of Lenson for that reason as well. Though our most recent engagements are of a land nature, the invention of missions and enemies that perhaps parallel reality but are not totally existent on this earth might give us more Lenson.

In any event we want believable Lenson. Whether in this book, can we believe in a torpedo that can go 200 knots an hour and thus be more deadly than anything our current Carrier defenses can handle, is something that perhaps we can believe. Harder to believe that the CNO and those on an equal footing can't figure out amongst themselves how best to acquire such an item and all stupidity breaks lose repeatedly leaving our hero to figure things out and save the day.

And with a short staffed crew, extricate themselves from the Gulf in a manner that the ship they have to do it in fully crewed, and without the problems that beset it might be difficult. I like these books, but I think Lenson can be faced with enough challenges already difficult then to add just one more thing, on top of a couple your not going to believe this'.

I am hoping that Lenson will find his way to higher command, and challenges that make sense soon. It is a shame to have boxed in a good hero in such a way that he begins to border on a comic superhero. ( )
  DWWilkin | May 6, 2012 |

A deadly new weapon hits the international arms market---and the only way to preserve the balance of power in the Mideast is to hijack the Iranian sub that carries it.

United States Navy Commander and Medal of Honor winner Dan Lenson has been handed another outside-the-box assignment. TAG Charlie, an elite team of active-duty sailors, SEALs, and civilian analysts, is tasked to investigate and defuse emerging naval threats around the globe. When the Skhval-K---an unstoppable rocket torpedo designed to destroy U.S. aircraft carriers---is demonstrated at a Moscow arms show, Dan tries to buy one so that the U.S. Navy can build countermeasures. But he’s lucky to escape with his life when he’s set up by Russia’s new counterespionage service.

When the Russians sell the new weapon to Iran and China instead, Dan decides that if he can’t buy it, he’ll steal it. But when a daring nighttime penetration of Iran’s largest naval base goes wrong too, Dan finds himself captaining a submarine he barely knows how to submerge, pursued by Iranian destroyers and sub-hunting aircraft through the shallow, hazardous Persian Gulf.

Authentic action and daring espionage combine in a timely thriller set in a hair-trigger military environment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

Struggling to obtain the plans for a new Russian nuclear warhead, Navy commander Dan Lenson and his team are betrayed and barely escape with their lives, a situation that prompts an even more dangerous attempt to steal the weapon off of an Iranian submarine.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,368,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible