SantaThing sign up ends in 7:01 hours (5:00 PM EST)

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons

The House Next Door (original 1978; edition 1979)

by Anne Rivers Siddons

7262512,927 (3.72)1 / 59
Member:adpaton
Title:The House Next Door
Authors:Anne Rivers Siddons
Info:Ballantine Books (1979), Mass Market Paperback

The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons (1978)

Pretty scary stuff... not quite a "haunted" house , but more a "malignant" house in the manner of the Marsten House or Hill House. This story was published in the late 1970's but I found it good and creepy and I can see why Stephan King respected it. Although there was one clear ending which was somewhat predictable, it still unnerved me. I had this on my list to read for a few years and I am glad I took the time to do so. Enjoyed. ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
Anytime there's a story about a haunted house the history of that house is almost always to blame. Bad people lived there, bad events happened there, bad mojo festered there. So naturally the house, an innocent, was traumatized; it's haunted by those bad things.

But what if the house was brand spanking new and just not quite right. How would someone explain strange noises, freak accidents, and insidious behavior? Certainly the people were still to blame, right? It couldn't be that the house was born evil...

The House Next Door tells the tale of one such house from the perspective of the house's neighbors. It's not overly graphic nor is it shocking by today's standards, but it is true horror delivered by way of a slow burn. You know it's not going to end well yet you can't look away.

3 stars
(because the ending was not the end and the real ending bummed me out)

The house in The House Next Door brings out the worst in its inhabitants and visitors. Your deepest darkest desire manifests. Your worst nightmare comes true. You lose your inhibitions. All instinct, no conscience. But it seems the architect must have some responsibility since it's hinted at that his other designs were equally spellbinding. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Nov 14, 2016 |
The people next door watched the house being built. They looked forward to having the new neighbors and including them in the activities of the neighborhood. Even before the house was finished and the young couple moved in strange things began to occur - just small things but disturbing none the less. With the arrival of humans the activity escalated. The house took what it needed from each family that lived in the house. Something had to be done. This book has endured in my mind as a terrifying read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I read The House Next Door quite a few years ago after reading about it in Stephen King's Danse Macabre. I decided to revisit the book when I spotted an audio cassette edition in our county libraries' online catalog (it can pay to still be able to play outdated technology).

Quite a bit of the book's plot had stayed with me, although I got victim family two mixed up with family three.

The house isn't haunted in the classic sense, but there is a malevolent force in it that destroys every family that lives in it. The next-door neighbors and the architect learn first hand what the house can do to those foolish enough to enter it. So do some other neighbors. Only our lead couple have the courage to do something about it.

I had completely forgotten the most frightening revelation.

I hadalso forgotten what happened to the cats and dogs in this book. Fellow canine and feline lovers, read at your own risk. ( )
  JalenV | Aug 13, 2015 |
I found out about this book from another reader at my favorite reading challenge, R.I.P., held every fall at Stainless Steel Droppings. I highly recommend you check it out. I was expecting more of a haunted house kind of book but I would say this was a psychological thriller.

A smug, yuppy couple live next door to a piece of a vacant land. One day the land is sold and a truly evil house is erected on the spot. A succession of couples move into the house but as tragedy soon infiltrates each of their lives no one stays very long. It comes to the point that the yuppies cannot stand idly by any longer as the poison from the house starts to infect the entire neighborhood.

This book was written in the 70's and I love 70's horror kitsch. Other favorite 70's horror stories include The Shining and Ghost Story. The drinking everyone did in the 70's amazes me. Half this book is dedicated to cocktails. Everyone must have been perpetually buzzed that decade. I also love the finer sensibilities that people in the 70's possessed. People worried about manners, and things like dressing properly, living well, and impressing the neighbors. This book is a little time capsule of 70's nostalgia. Aside from capturing the 70's the possessed house story was a good one. Things didn't go bump in the night but the families who lived in the house and surrounding area suffered a psychological unraveling. This was the perfect book for me to wrap up my R.I.P. reading with. ( )
1 vote arielfl | Nov 11, 2013 |

Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Song, JaeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sothoron, Karen HendricksonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Annalee
People like us don't appear in People magazine. (Prologue)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061008737, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Rivers Siddons is a writer of literary fiction whose one foray into the horror genre is this remarkable 1978 novel, The House Next Door. The setting is a wealthy suburb in Atlanta where an ambitious young architect is building a dramatically contemporary house. The novel uses a frame device to put three short stories under a single cover: as each of three families moves into the house in succession, we watch the bad things that happen to them and eventually force them to leave. But the frame itself--the observations of an urbane and sophisticated couple who live next door and become close friends with the architect--is the most deeply involving story in the book.

Stephen King was so impressed by The House Next Door that when he wrote Danse Macabre, his personal tour of the horror genre, he sought out Siddons for an interview. She told him, "The haunted house has always spoken specially and directly to me as the emblem of particular horror. Maybe it's because, to a woman, her house is so much more than that: it is kingdom, responsibility, comfort, total world to her.... It is an extension of ourselves; it tolls in answer to one of the most basic chords mankind will ever hear.... So basic is it that the desecration of it, the corruption, as it were, by something alien takes on a peculiar and bone-deep horror and disgust."

Siddons was also fascinated by how the supernatural has the power to disturb the complacent rich and their comfortable little world: "What has the unspeakable and the unbelievable got to do with second homes and tax shelters and private schools for the kids and a pâté in every terrine and a BMW in every garage? Primitive man might howl before his returning dead and point; his neighbor would see, and howl along with him.... The resident of Fox Run Chase who meets a ghoulie out by the hot tub is going to be frozen dead in his or her Nikes on the tennis courts the next day if he or she persists in gabbling about it. And there he is, alone with the horror and ostracized on all sides. It's a double turn of the screw."

One caveat: some people find the ending a false note that mars the effect. Even so, The House Next Door is an exquisite horror novel. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

Thirtysomething Colquitt and Walter Kennedy live in a charming, peaceful suburb of newly bustling Atlanta, Georgia. Life is made up of enjoyable work, long, lazy weekends, and the company of good neighbors. Then, to their shock, construction starts on the vacant lot next door, a wooded hillside they'd believed would always remain undeveloped. Disappointed by their dimished privacy, Colquitt and Walter soon realize something more is wrong with the house next door. Surely the house can't be "haunted" yet it seems to destroy the goodness of every person who comes to live in it, until the entire heart of this friendly neighborhood threatens to be torn apart.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,644,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible