Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of…

Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity

by Frank Viola

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All (4)
Traditions, customs, ceremonies, and rites all plague the conscience of most who currently hold to dissenting opinions of modern church practices. For those who indeed seek to reevaluate the data available, a fresh start to 'doing' church almost seems unfathomable. What would one do? What does the scripture suggest a Christian is to do about church practices? Frank Viola suggests that we start by Reimagining Church!

Frank Viola's writing has in part as the voice of the Organic Church movement. Following up his previous book Pagan Christianity, Viola takes this entry and attempts a more constructive dialog while providing answers to the question readers were left with in Pagan Christianity? Viola writes to describe a New Testament church in its infant state while gleaning the beauty that came from it. While conveying the narrative of the beauty Viola observes in his interpretations of the New Testament he believes he is able to discern how the earliest assemblies glorified Christ through their meeting habits.

The book is divided into two major sections. For pragmatic purposes, Viola breaks down Community and Gatherings first. Introducing readers to the various views of the 'Church' itself, he gives fairly accurate explanations of the various paradigms of meetings, mostly focusing on those in the 'organic' strain. With the view of the church itself as a living organism, the foundation Viola operates from is always quick to remind you that they all share a common DNA. With the establishment of the various kinds of meetings made, Viola gives practical advice for typical Church meetings, the Lord's Supper, Gathering Places, and even when and how to interact with believers outside of scheduled meetings. Overall, you are not likely to get a hermeneutic that produces high liturgy or fenced communion tables from the likes of Frank Viola. What you will get is a very different approach to the traditions that this books predecessor establishes as rooted in unbiblical practice. Some would call it a community or organic hermeneutic, but to those who are unfamiliar with it, it will be very challenging.

The second portion of the book is devoted to the ever troublesome topic of Leadership and Accountability. The organic church camp often draws criticism for being rebellious, non-submissive, and divisive. Unfortunately, I am not sure that Viola's work on these topics are going to vindicate those accusations anytime soon, but I do believe they will help formulate a more honest picture of what many see as a biblical approach to such a vital component of church life. Without giving in-depth details of each portion this section covers I will emphasize that leadership and accountability is not a possession of one singular pastor or bishop in Viola's lens. The transference of the previous sections community hermeneutic prevails here as well and we see a re-imagination of leadership, oversight, decision making, spiritual covering, authority and submission, denominational covering, and Apostolic traditions. Essentially, each venture of re-imagination brings with it the delight of seeing an organic community coming together as a church, a collection of believers who all see Christ as head, acknowledge each others vital roles, but establish no hierarchical preeminence amongst each other outside of Christ.

With predictive response to all the questions that will most certainly arise from those who read this book from the institutional camp, and thus decide they wish to pursue alternative trajectories, Frank Viola provides a short but useful chapter that lends insight on where do we go from here? The appendix is also helpful in providing some information in response to the heavily debatable topic of leadership, and he includes objections and responses for your perusal.

Frank Viola relies very heavily on his many years of experience in the organic church culture. His writing style is engaging and his intention if often very clear throughout this book. The question I often found myself asking was "did he really get all that from one verse?" This is not a systematic exposition of each ecclessiological topic ever known to seminarians, but it sure does touch on many hot buttons sure to rub any fundamentalist wrong. Whether you are seeking to learn more and implement organic church practices, or you are looking to read up on Frank Viola to prove those 'organic church' dissenters wrong, this is good place to start.

I personally enjoy listening and reading Frank Viola's materials and visit his website from time to time. I am still interested in purchasing a few of his other books for personal reading pleasure. Those include The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament and a new book recently co-authored with Leonard Sweet, Jesus Manifesto: Restoring the Supremacy and Sovereignty of Jesus Christ. This book itself was not a 'easy' read for me. That is likely due to the digging into the references and the mulling over the ideals Viola sets forth. This book is not similar to Pagan Christianity with all of its weighty footnotes and references, but I still dug deep on these topics. Frank remains consistent in his thesis and stands on his soapbox promoting what he calls his dream for the church. Embodied in his philosophy of the church, and in the print of this books cover, Frank Violas writing always screams his desire,

"I have a dream that Jesus Christ will one day be head of his church again. Not in pious rhetoric, but in reality."

Whether I disagree with Frank Viola or not, I enjoyed reading this book because he is always careful to ensure what he says emphasizes his belief of the above. ( )
  thegospelisgood | Jan 17, 2012 |
Challenging read, but wooly argumentation. Viola is as much a "central figure" in his own scheme as the pastors he decries- a perennial dilemma of the anti-authority set. "Get rid of them, and have me" is a subtext he never openly acknowledges.

I agree with many of his propositions, including ending the current "theatre" approach to worship- with bands, "worship leaders", the whole bling of modern church life. ( )
  chriszodrow | Feb 8, 2010 |

53 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,187,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible