If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Gayle Forman

Member:RosyLibrarian
Title:If I Stay
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (2009)

2009 (17) 2010 (16) accident (22) car accident (66) car accidents (17) cello (47) choices (26) coma (78) contemporary (31) death (228) family (133) fiction (156) grief (62) hospital (21) loss (22) love (65) music (126) Oregon (35) own (17) read (26) realistic fiction (38) relationships (43) romance (64) tearjerker (20) teen (55) teen fiction (18) to-read (114) YA (178) young adult (183) young adult fiction (39)
    Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (309)  German (1)  All languages (310)
If I was still a teen, I would have called this book, the best book ever written. I totally would have loved this angst y life and death story. Now that I am a 44 yr old mom I still loved this book, but some of it was a wee bit too angst y (Well just the last couple of pages, can't say why or it would totally ruin the book) I thoroughly enjoyed all of the characters and fell in love with the main character and her family. The loss of Mia's family hits you harder each flashback she goes into. Really impressed as well that all of the characters were real and no one was perfect. Storyline was fast paced and I couldn't put the book down eventhough I was totally exhausted. Also could barely read the last chapter as tears were making my eyes blurry. Highly recommend this emotional tale to fans of A Fault in our Stars. Perfect for YA fans of all ages - but moms be warned this one will hit you pretty hard. ( )
  mountie9 | Jul 14, 2014 |
I don't normally like reading books that I know will make me tear up and emotional, but I watched the movie trailer and decided that I had to read this. The book was wonderfully written, and there were many beautiful quotes. This is not the best book I've ever read, but If I Stay is definitely worth reading.

My Goodreads: fantasticalcatherine ( )
  lifeshiddengems | Jul 14, 2014 |
If I Stay by Gayle Forman will easily be the next great YA page-to-screen adaption. It will have you reaching for the tissues and will have you desperate to talk to others about this book. It is a beautiful story about life and death, about family, love, and about making a seemingly impossible choice.

I’m giving this novel 5 stars. I loved it, and I have nothing bad to say about If I Stay. Gayle Forman is incredibly talented writer, crafting a story that is both moving and memorable. It is impossible not to think about the burden of Mia’s choice, and to consider whether or not you would be strong enough to choose. It is a terrible tragedy to think about, but as Forman points out, there is always hope and happiness to be found in life. You just have to be brave enough to want it. Dying is easy—life is hard.

The story is told in alternating flashbacks in Mia’s life with her family, friends, and her boyfriend. It’s impossible not to lose yourself in the ups and downs of life and to recognize your own problems and worries in Mia’s life before the crash. For a novel that is about choosing to live or die, If I Stay is a surprisingly balanced read. This is an emotional read, but you don’t spend the novel fighting back tears. It’s about far more than the tragedy of the choice.

Aimed at readers 14 & up, If I Stay is officially one of my favourite YA novels. Unfortunately, it is difficult to put down, which may result in reading this book in public places—which means awkwardly crying on public transit through the final pages of the book. Luckily I had sunglasses on me. Add If I Stay by Gayle Forman to the top of your to-read pile. The movie will be out August 22nd, and you can watch the trailer below!

5 Stars ( )
  loveofreading | Jul 13, 2014 |
I purchased If I Stay awhile ago and immediately started reading it. For some reason, I just couldn't get into it, so I put it aside for another time. I went with my sister's to see The Fault in our Stars (which was AMAZING) and they had a preview for the movie If I Stay and it looked really good. So I decided to give it another chance, plus I love reading the books before the movie. I'm really glad that I did, I enjoyed it very much.

There were actually times where I felt a little choked up, definitely a very sad circumstance. Especially with Teddy, the memories she looks back on and just Teddy being so young. I liked how we went back and forth between the past and present. You slowly get to know the relationship between Mia and Adam. Adam was the handsome, cool guy at school and Mia was more of a geek who just couldn't understand why he even looked her way. Their relationship really is cute, awkward at first, which I feel is so real.

The ending left us hanging, so I'm looking forward to reading Where She Went and see what happens. ( )
  BeckyGandee | Jun 29, 2014 |
FEEEEEELSSS GDI ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!

Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly

For Nick, Finally ..... Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241543X, Paperback)

An Interview with Gayle Forman

Q: You started your career as a journalist and your first book is a travelogue about going around the world. Is YA literature a departure for you?

Gayle Forman: Actually, it’s more of a homecoming. My first writing job was at Seventeen, where I spent five years on staff and as a contributor reporting the magazine’s social-issues stories. I loved writing for teens then because—contrary to popular opinion—they really care about serious issues (from child soldiers in Africa to kids embroiled in the drug war here) and the engage in their reading with such passion. So, now that I’m writing young-adult literature, it feels like I’ve come full circle.

Q: This book explores some serious themes. Why is this a book for kids and not adults?

GF: It’s a book for kids precisely because it explores serious themes. Teenagers are grappling with choices about life and love as much as adults, so why shouldn’t their reading reflect that? I don’t set out to write YA. It just seems like I’m drawn to stories about young people. That said, I think If I Stay is for adults, too. I love the idea of teens reading this book and then handing it off to their parents.

Q: Many key characters are serious musicians, and songs are referenced throughout the book. Are you a musician?

GF: No. Except for piano lessons when I was a kid and a brief spate of guitar playing in my teens, I’ve never played an instrument. I am, however, a huge music fan. And my husband is a musician; he was playing in a punk band when we met, so I’ve spent a lot of my life ensconced in that scene. I seem drawn to writing about musicians, though I’ve never been all that interested in the cello until Mia popped into my head.

Q: What inspired you to write this book?

GF: Music. Oregon. People I have loved. And unfortunately, the book is inspired by a real-life tragedy that happened several years ago.

Q: This is a book about death, but it’s not depressing. Why is that?

GF: Maybe because it’s really about the power of love—of family, friends, music—and therefore it ultimately affirms life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:57 -0400)

While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,463,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible