If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Gayle Forman

Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (2009)

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (351)  German (1)  All languages (352)
If I Stay gained quite
popularity over the internet
for the past few weeks. With
its good reviews from the
readers. But what really made
me into reading this book was
I found out that there would
be an upcoming movie of the
novel and the lead character
will be played by Chloe
Moretz. And I was like, i must
read the book asap before the
movie comes out.

So the girl was Mia. A cellist.
And a girlfriend to a cool
rockstar Adam. Her parents
were both adorable who used
to be punks. And there was
her cute little brother Teddy,
who insisted to be called 'Ted'
because he thought he wasn't
a kid anymore. They were a
happy family, bound with
music.

Until a car accident occured
when her family who gone for
a visit. Leaving her the only
survivor. She searched for her
parents but they were both
lifeless. And she looked for
her little brother, but in her
surprise she saw herself
instead, covered with blood
and lying on the snow.

-------

The characters in the novel
were very adorable. I liked
how Mia used to play the
cello because it reminds me
of my favorite japanese singer
who also plays the
instrument. But the character
sometimes managed to lose
her confidence, doubting
herself from doing anything.
But Mia was very lucky to be
surrounded with great
people. There was her friend
Kim who helped her to regain
her interest to music. Her
very supportive parents who
left everything behind just to
be good mom and dad to
them.

And of course, there was this
cool rockstar guy, Adam. A
very fictitious character who
would cross the deepest ocean
and conquer the raging storm
just to be with Mia. I like
Adam here because her love
to Mia was unconditionally.
He never get bored hanging
out with her, he tried to be
okay with Mia's genre.

The turn of the events were
very gloomy. There were a lot
of deaths. It was a sad story.
But do you know the feeling
that you just started to like
the character and suddenly

Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
Timmarie
Aug. 1st, 2014
“If I Stay” By: Gayle Forman

Mia is an immensely gifted cellist. She had everything, a loving family, an adoring boyfriend, an extraordinary best friend, and a soaring career in music ahead of her. When suddenly it all changes. Mia and her family experienced a traumatic car crash and she is rushed to the ICU. Mia is caught between life and death, not knowing how to wake up or return to her body. She watches her friends and family come visit her and later she find out that she will have to make the most crucial decision of her life. She spends one day pondering the decision to leave or stay not knowing the future ahead of her. This book is a dynamic, powerful, and beautiful story about sadness and hope, that one can feel.

I really enjoyed reading this book and find books where in which the reader can quickly relate to feelings and emotions of the characters captivating. How the author organized the chapters/ timestamps in a way where one chapter would be in normal time about what was happening in and out of the ICU. Then the next chapter would about an experience Mia might have had with one of the characters in the book such as, Adam, her boyfriend. I thought the way the author did this was interesting but helpful because it lets the reader experience flashbacks that Mia had which detailed her past seventeen years. These flashbacks are important things that Mia remembers which seem to help her decide what she wants for her future.

What made this book also enjoyable was how the author used music as big part of the plot and Mia's life. The cello was almost like a way for Mia to express herself. In the book it stated, “In third grade, I’d wandered over to the cello in music class it looked almost human to me. It looked like if you played it, it would tell you secrets, so I started playing. Its been almost ten years now and I haven't stopped.” By the end of the book when Mia was recovering from her surgeries, she took physical therapy. When she started playing the cello again that was her physical therapy. The doctors were amazed by her upper body strength, Mia's cello teacher called her “cello body."The cello turned not only into her physical therapy but her emotional and mental therapy as well.

Overall, I thought “If I Stay” was a hard to put down, beautiful, and page-turning book. ( )
  Tiga14 | Oct 9, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book as odd as that is to say about a life and death story. I liked getting to know Mia, her friends, and family through her memories. It was a strange situation for Mia to be in and brought out a lot of emotions as she made decisions of whether to stay or not. ( )
  kim.jacobs | Oct 8, 2014 |
Disclaimer: I listened to this on audio. I HATED the narrator. This book may be tolerable if it is read rather than listened to, but I will never know.

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago, and I'm going to revise my star rating down to 1 1/2. There wasn't anything good here. The characters were ridiculous. Her parents were the most unbelievable, hipster, non-parents in the entire world. My disdain for her father was only topped by my utter hatred for her mother. Really, parents? Your "too cool for school" lifestyle made me want to punch you. Lucky for all of us that you are fictional characters. Father is a former rocker who didn't learn to drive until he was forced to "grow up" and be a real adult. Mother is a poser who rattles off indy bands to prove her edginess and insists on a midwife/birthing center for her punk-rock fueled childbirth. They are so cool that they let her rock star boyfriend sleep over. Seriously? And Mia is so full of insecurities and self-doubt that I could barely listen to her inner dialogue.

This book was terrible, and I won't see the movie.
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |

What if you were having a casual drive with your family when, BOOM! Its gone. Life is slowly leaving you but, its your choice to stay without your parents and sibling(s) or leave behind everyone else who loves you. This was Mia’s choice in If I Stay, written by Gayle Forman. If I Stay’s genre is realistic fiction.

In If I Stay there are 6 main characters.They are, Mia, Mia’s mom, Mia’s dad, Teddy, Adam, and Kim. In If I Stay the setting is in the hospital. Mia is a senior trying to get into her dream college. With her incredible talent of playing the cello. Her parents are rock stars and raised their kids to be that way but she turned out to be a lover of classical music. When her parents had first found out they were upset but then they heard her play and they were so proud of her choices. Teddy is Mia’s little brother. He turned out to be exactly like his parents. Adam is Mia’s boyfriend who is a rock star in his own band. He’s in love with Mia as soon as he heard her playing the cello. Kim is Mia’s best friend, but, they weren't always. They despised each other at a young age. Until one day when they got sick of each other and decided to have a fist fight. After the teachers pulled them apart they became best of friends.

Mia and her family were driving one day when it was snowing. They were all relaxed, big mistake. Her father was driving, her mom in the passenger seat, and Mia and her brother Teddy were in the back. When suddenly a pickup truck driving out of control goes right through the passenger seat. Her mom instantly dead. Next her dad, gone. Only her and her brother seemed to survive the crash. Mia can see everything thats happening around her as if she was fine, but she isn't in her body. She has the choice to stay or to go but it gets difficult between her grandpa saying that he doesn't want her to leave but if she does he will understand since her little brother had just died. But then there is Adam who refuses to let her leave, and he begs her to stay. What will she choose?
If I Stay is an amazing book. It makes you smile, tear up and laugh. I recommend this book for people who enjoy sad books. I recommend this books for people who like sad books because Mia had lost her family and the visits between her and her grandpa and Adam are heart breaking. Mia has the hardest time thinking about going with her family for death or staying with her grandparents, Kim and Adam. Gayle Forman is a very bright and talented author. Gayle gives you a way to feel how Mia is feeling and everyone around her. She did an amazing job getting you thinking throughout the book of what would you do in her place. Over all I very much enjoyed Gayle Forman’s work with If I Stay. ( )
  JECLBR14 | Oct 2, 2014 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!

Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly

For Nick, Finally ..... Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241543X, Paperback)

An Interview with Gayle Forman

Q: You started your career as a journalist and your first book is a travelogue about going around the world. Is YA literature a departure for you?

Gayle Forman: Actually, it’s more of a homecoming. My first writing job was at Seventeen, where I spent five years on staff and as a contributor reporting the magazine’s social-issues stories. I loved writing for teens then because—contrary to popular opinion—they really care about serious issues (from child soldiers in Africa to kids embroiled in the drug war here) and the engage in their reading with such passion. So, now that I’m writing young-adult literature, it feels like I’ve come full circle.

Q: This book explores some serious themes. Why is this a book for kids and not adults?

GF: It’s a book for kids precisely because it explores serious themes. Teenagers are grappling with choices about life and love as much as adults, so why shouldn’t their reading reflect that? I don’t set out to write YA. It just seems like I’m drawn to stories about young people. That said, I think If I Stay is for adults, too. I love the idea of teens reading this book and then handing it off to their parents.

Q: Many key characters are serious musicians, and songs are referenced throughout the book. Are you a musician?

GF: No. Except for piano lessons when I was a kid and a brief spate of guitar playing in my teens, I’ve never played an instrument. I am, however, a huge music fan. And my husband is a musician; he was playing in a punk band when we met, so I’ve spent a lot of my life ensconced in that scene. I seem drawn to writing about musicians, though I’ve never been all that interested in the cello until Mia popped into my head.

Q: What inspired you to write this book?

GF: Music. Oregon. People I have loved. And unfortunately, the book is inspired by a real-life tragedy that happened several years ago.

Q: This is a book about death, but it’s not depressing. Why is that?

GF: Maybe because it’s really about the power of love—of family, friends, music—and therefore it ultimately affirms life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:57 -0400)

While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible