If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Gayle Forman

Title:If I Stay
Authors:Gayle Forman
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (2009)

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (402)  German (1)  All languages (403)
At the beginning of the book the aouther indroduces Mia, the main character. Her whole family, mom, dad, and little brother are driving to their grandparents house for a visit. Her whole family is blond headed and she has brown hair. Her dad used to be in rock band before he met her mother.The whole family loves rock and punck music, even her little brother who is 8. Teddy the little brother even plays drums. Mia is the outcast of the family and got obbsessed with classicial music; the very opposite. She plays the cello at her school. She has a boyfriend named Adam who has his band and they go on tours around the country.At the beginning of the book when going on the car drive the family gets in to a terrible car crash. Her whole family dies but she sees her body wounded and injured. Through out the book she is like a "ghost". SHe has many flashbacks on her life and spending time with Adam and her best friend, Kim. At the end I think she wakes up from the E.R and sees her boyfriend at the foot of the hospital bed.

I gave this book a 5 star because I love how the author told her family's story. I could not put the book down one moment . I love that this book does not have a specific genre. It is kinda of a relaxation and thinking about the book kinda book. I loved all the flashbacks the author put in the book because you can see them so well in your mind. I like that all the E.R. scences in the book can really happen. I would highly reccomend this book to anyone because the author really makes you think when reading the book. ( )
  madisonb.b4 | Oct 1, 2015 |
If I Stay
By Gayle Forman
Your life is in your hands and you have the control to decide what to do with it. If I Stay, by Gayle Forman, takes readers into the chaotic life of Mia and how you control your own life. Mia’s life is full of sacrifices and hardships that really come back to her when she is faced with the biggest decision of her life. A decision that would change everything. As the book goes along, memories are a prominent fixture as Mia is learning and thinking about the path she is wanting to take. The author achieves an overall goal of making readers think about their own life as they go along in Mia’s story.
Choosing your own path is a big point made throughout this book. The author makes a point to use memories as a gateway to show readers Mia’s background and her passions. The gateway fills many gaps and allows readers to submerge themselves into the book. As the story moves along, the memories give an impression of quietness, but still a strong mind. This is a concept that really makes Mia think as she makes her final resolution.
If I Stay is a very compelling book. The twists and turns of Mia’s life convince readers to continue until the end. I would recommend this book to readers because Mia’s life is something to be read. The inner battle Mia has to fight is captivating and If I Stay is a book I would highly recommend. ( )
  dxydreamxr | Sep 23, 2015 |
Young Reader Reaction: I honestly don’t think I can put into words how much I enjoyed this book. If I Stay brought waves of sadness and happiness all at the same time. The author did such a great job not giving everything away as soon as the book started. Even at the end I felt like things were still very mysterious. If I Stay left me speechless, emotional, and almost numb. I definitely recommend watching the movie based on this book.

Pros: Young adult and adult readers won't be able to put down this unique, tear-jerker.

Read our full review and add yours at The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Sep 6, 2015 |
A good short emotional roller coaster of a ride. The wishy washy belief system portrayed here conflicts with my Christian beliefs, but that doesn't change the truth in the characters and their love for each other that gives strength to Mia. A good read. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Sep 6, 2015 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!
Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly
For Nick
Finally ..... Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241543X, Paperback)

An Interview with Gayle Forman

Q: You started your career as a journalist and your first book is a travelogue about going around the world. Is YA literature a departure for you?

Gayle Forman: Actually, it’s more of a homecoming. My first writing job was at Seventeen, where I spent five years on staff and as a contributor reporting the magazine’s social-issues stories. I loved writing for teens then because—contrary to popular opinion—they really care about serious issues (from child soldiers in Africa to kids embroiled in the drug war here) and the engage in their reading with such passion. So, now that I’m writing young-adult literature, it feels like I’ve come full circle.

Q: This book explores some serious themes. Why is this a book for kids and not adults?

GF: It’s a book for kids precisely because it explores serious themes. Teenagers are grappling with choices about life and love as much as adults, so why shouldn’t their reading reflect that? I don’t set out to write YA. It just seems like I’m drawn to stories about young people. That said, I think If I Stay is for adults, too. I love the idea of teens reading this book and then handing it off to their parents.

Q: Many key characters are serious musicians, and songs are referenced throughout the book. Are you a musician?

GF: No. Except for piano lessons when I was a kid and a brief spate of guitar playing in my teens, I’ve never played an instrument. I am, however, a huge music fan. And my husband is a musician; he was playing in a punk band when we met, so I’ve spent a lot of my life ensconced in that scene. I seem drawn to writing about musicians, though I’ve never been all that interested in the cello until Mia popped into my head.

Q: What inspired you to write this book?

GF: Music. Oregon. People I have loved. And unfortunately, the book is inspired by a real-life tragedy that happened several years ago.

Q: This is a book about death, but it’s not depressing. Why is that?

GF: Maybe because it’s really about the power of love—of family, friends, music—and therefore it ultimately affirms life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:26 -0400)

While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,816,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible