No title (2009)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (2009)

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin (foggidawn)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (sduff222)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (meggers12)
    Where She Went by Gayle Forman (kaledrina)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (tina1969)
    Every Day by David Levithan (melissarochelle)
    The Afterlife by Gary Soto (weener)
    weener: Another book from the point of view a young person who is having an out-of-body experience.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: A really great book that explores tragedy through a strong female teen voice in first person.
    How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford (weener)
    Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks (weener)
    weener: About young women who are interested in music and family.
    Hopeless Savages Volume 2: Ground Zero by Jen Van Meter (weener)
    weener: I was reading If I Stay, and I thought, "I recognize those grown-up punker parents. It's just like the Hopeless-Savages!"
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (tina1969)
    How It Ends by Laura Wiess (weener)
    weener: Riveting and heartbreaking teen fiction.

English (458)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (461)
All the buzz you've heard about "If I Stay" is true. I initially discovered this novel while researching to see if any other novels had claimed a title I'm planning to use. I stumbled on this and loved the cover. The premise sounded interesting enough I ordered a used copy and what I received delivered much more than I expected. Forman dives into a point of view that is truly unique and heart wrenching. While it surprisingly didn't move me to tears, I felt the emotions Mia and her family went through just as keenly on the inside.
I've heard they're making this novel into a movie and have been comparing it to Twilight. I don't understand why they would, when this book is much better and thought provoking than Twilight will ever be. But I am excited to see the adaptation when it comes out.
I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for something deeper than their usual New Adult read. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
WOW. Gayle Forman certainly knows how to write a novel from a unique perspective. And it makes you wonder: what do comatose patients experience when lingering between life and death? It's touching and thought-provoking on so many levels. What does one do when an accident leaves you in a coma and your entire family has already died? Do you go on with them? Or do you stay? What happens if you stay? What happens if you go?

Mia has to figure this out for herself. She's only seventeen. No matter the outcome, it's definitely life-altering.

caslater83 | Aug 4, 2016 |
This was an okay book. The story is told by Mia, a girl whose family is tragically killed in a horrific car accident. Throughout the book, Mia is clinging to life in the ICU of the hospital after the accident, all the while telling her life story. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |

onebookishgirl | Jul 19, 2016 |
This is a very tragic book that pulls at your heart many times. Mia and her family go for a drive on a snow day. I live in the Midwest and that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. You stay home when it's snowing bad enough to cancel school. They are hit by a huge truck that scatters them all over the road and ditch. Mia immediately has an out-of-body experience and watches what happens to her body as it's taken to the hospital and watches how her family reacts. It also has flash backs of pieces of her life so you get to know her family, friends and Mia a little bit. Mia has the choice should she go back in her body, stay and live her life or should she quit and die. Only one family member understands and gives her the option but it's up to her. This book really makes you think how a life can end so suddenly and you need to live it to the fullest. I found myself with tears running down my face several times. It's a good book and well written and one of the young adult books that should be read by teens and adults. I'm looking forward to seeing if the sequel is just as good. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
If you want a story that really grabs at your heart this is perfect. Mia is a teenager who plays cello which comes almost natural to her. She even auditioned for Julliard . I really should have read this one at a better time than on a road trip. Considering the first chapter puts you right into a horrific car crash after a great morning with her family trying to decide what to do on their snow day. When I grabed this book I kind of just scimmed through it not really knowing what I was really in store for. During the car crash scene I had to stop several times because of the gore and pain I felt reading this. Of course I don't think it help stoping either for a while because every time my husband had to change lanes i was cringing inside, I'm just glad it wasn't snowing. I had to get back into the story because I just had to know what was going to happen to Mia.
The parnormal effect in this book was perfect, She was an apparition standing in the whole time looking over her life from the outside looking in. She was in a coma and heard everything but was unable to do anything. She had to decide whether to go with her family she lost or stay with the ones left be hide. Every character in this story I loved from the quite grandfather to the punk rocker boyfriend. I loved the flash backs of her family they made the book even more enjoyable. This story had me on the verge of tears several times. I was begging Mia to just stay the whole time. If this happen to me I think I would have a really hard time choosing. I will be reading this one over and over again!

Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
added by sduff222 | editPublishers Weekly

For Nick
Finally . . . Always
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

On a day that started like any other… Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make. Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241543X, Paperback)

An Interview with Gayle Forman

Q: You started your career as a journalist and your first book is a travelogue about going around the world. Is YA literature a departure for you?

Gayle Forman: Actually, it’s more of a homecoming. My first writing job was at Seventeen, where I spent five years on staff and as a contributor reporting the magazine’s social-issues stories. I loved writing for teens then because—contrary to popular opinion—they really care about serious issues (from child soldiers in Africa to kids embroiled in the drug war here) and the engage in their reading with such passion. So, now that I’m writing young-adult literature, it feels like I’ve come full circle.

Q: This book explores some serious themes. Why is this a book for kids and not adults?

GF: It’s a book for kids precisely because it explores serious themes. Teenagers are grappling with choices about life and love as much as adults, so why shouldn’t their reading reflect that? I don’t set out to write YA. It just seems like I’m drawn to stories about young people. That said, I think If I Stay is for adults, too. I love the idea of teens reading this book and then handing it off to their parents.

Q: Many key characters are serious musicians, and songs are referenced throughout the book. Are you a musician?

GF: No. Except for piano lessons when I was a kid and a brief spate of guitar playing in my teens, I’ve never played an instrument. I am, however, a huge music fan. And my husband is a musician; he was playing in a punk band when we met, so I’ve spent a lot of my life ensconced in that scene. I seem drawn to writing about musicians, though I’ve never been all that interested in the cello until Mia popped into my head.

Q: What inspired you to write this book?

GF: Music. Oregon. People I have loved. And unfortunately, the book is inspired by a real-life tragedy that happened several years ago.

Q: This is a book about death, but it’s not depressing. Why is that?

GF: Maybe because it’s really about the power of love—of family, friends, music—and therefore it ultimately affirms life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:26 -0400)

While in a coma following an automobile accident that killed her parents and younger brother, seventeen-year-old Mia, a gifted cellist, weighs whether to live with her grief or join her family in death.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,476,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible