What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed…

What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed the World

by Rosalyn Schanzer

This book about Charles Darwin is almost as unique as his life. The book has such a creative way of telling the life of Charles Darwin. I like the idea of creating the book into a 'disorganized' comic strip, but I did find it very hard to follow and too overwhelming to look at. For example, the pages are divided into unbalanced sections with detailed illustration, speech bubbles with Darwins' quotes, speech bubbles from others' quotes, and the authors writing in text boxes. This seems to be way too overwhelming for me, let alone elementary readers. With everything put together, being too overwhelming, I have to acknowledge the amazing illustrations and use of colors. There are no white or dull spaces anywhere in this book, which definitely attracted me to this book to begin with. The main idea, that I took from this book, was to tell the story of Darwin's incredible life in a unique and interesting way. ( )
  CatalinaDiaz | Mar 3, 2015 |
Decent illustrations and decent content. I would of liked more content on the theory of evolution and less on the personal experiences of Darwin. The reason I say that is because I was hoping for a great book to introduce the theory of evolution to my daughter. This is not that, it is full of Darwin's notes and tells the story of his voyage around the world. I think the purpose of the book is to give us insight into what led Darwin to discover evolution, which is nice, just not what I was looking for. Also, since it is mostly Darwin's notes, it is not an easy read for young children. ( )
  winterbower | May 13, 2013 |
This book is about Charles Darwin and his thoughts on what he was learning in the world. The pages are filled with many quotes that were abridged from Darwin himself including from his letters, diary, papers, etc. It takes the reader through when his voyage began in 1831, through the Brazilian forests, information on predator vs. prey, and everything else he saw and experienced on his journey that ultimately changed the way many people think about the world.
Critique (Genre)- This is a great example of a biographical text on Charles Darwin. It accounts for his trek across a lot of the world and the beginnings of his theory of evolution. It is easy to read and is full of information from himself directly (paraphrased), as well as information given by the author about him.
  KelseyPrentice | Oct 21, 2012 |
Summary: The story of Darwin's voyage all over the world that exposed him to the questions that inspired his research. The book is organized chronologically but it is not written as a story.

Genre: Informational

Media: acrylics
  efakkema09 | Nov 17, 2011 |
I didn't know much about Darwin's life other than his theory of evolution and natural selection that we all learned in school. This book intrigued me with it's colorful and unique cover. I enjoyed the narrative style done in graphic format as I followed Darwin on his voyage. ( )
  heby | Nov 22, 2010 |

The story of Charles Darwin's voyage on the H.M.S. Beagle, told in a combination of his own words and the author's illustrations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,143,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible